Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Interesting tidbit...was just going over the latest Ford Motorcraft Lubrication Chart and it calls for 5W50 oil to be used for GT, Boss 302, GT350, and GT500 to include all track applications. As these vehicles are equipped with both the Coyote and "Voodoo" 5.2 flat plane engine, I can only surmise that Ford decided that the additional viscosity was needed for durability and hydrostatic properties? Can anyone else weigh in on this? :shrug:
Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
That's a huge jump in weight. Don't think i've ever even seen 5w50

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I know the track pack versions of the previous gen GT's were recommend to run 5W-50.

Do you have a link to the info? Would be interesting to read.

I have switched over to running 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum on my last oil change at 4500 miles.

OP
OP
Phlyguy

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
I know the track pack versions of the previous gen GT's were recommend to run 5W-50.

Do you have a link to the info? Would be interesting to read.

I have switched over to running 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum on my last oil change at 4500 miles.
sorry...no link, just did a google search for "2015 Ford Engine Lubrication Charts" or something like that last night to pass the time away and it caught my attention...should have printed it out. Conversely, what got me thinking about it was when I printed out the Ford transmission lubrication chart specifically for the MT82 where it stated to use QDC and XL18 additive

Catfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2003 Cobra, 2015 GT PP
My 14 GT500 calls for 5-50w. I am currently running motorcraft, but bought a few cases when NAPA had Mobile 1 on sale (also 5-50w). If I were to start autocrossing my 15, or driving it super hard all the time, I would look into a higher weight oil like the poster above.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Phlyguy

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/oilchart.pdf

not true according to this one, so BS till the OP post the link he read.
what did I say? I said GT to include track apps...guess I should have been more specific. Apparently this topic has been beat to death on other previous Mustang forums too and the general consensus seems to be "if you want better MPG and you just drive under "normal" conditions, then 5W20 is fine...if you drive under harsh high load conditions or experience high ambient temperatures as part of your driving, then use the 5W50". Again, this is based on general opinions garnered from other forums with regards to this topic. Incidentally, Ford tech reps were included in these opinions so perhaps it could be based solely on individual usage and environment

m6pwr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pkg,Recaros
Ford tech reps said it's ok to use 5w50 in hard driving late model Mustang 5.0? What tech reps? Thought I knew most of the Mustang forums. There's one where we can communicate directly with factory engine development engineers? Just asking.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
I think you're reading the chart wrong. If you look at the chart in 5W-50 section, for 5.0's, only the 13 & 14 GT with Track Pack & 12 & 13 Boss are shaded dark...the 2015 is not blacked out, so it's not recommended for the S550. Stick to what the owners manual states...

OP
OP
Phlyguy

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
I think you're reading the chart wrong. If you look at the chart in 5W-50 section, for 5.0's, only the 13 & 14 GT with Track Pack & 12 & 13 Boss are shaded dark...the 2015 is not blacked out, so it's not recommended for the S550. Stick to what the owners manual states...
thanks Jetman...reviewed the chart (again) and you're right (been a long hitch here in the Middle East)! Interesting though that again other mustang forums do talk of this and there are varied differences of opinion. Still, you cannot argue with available facts and figures so I stand (humbly) corrected (my first oil change was with 5W20 by Motorcraft)

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
thanks Jetman...reviewed the chart (again) and you're right (been a long hitch here in the Middle East)! Interesting though that again other mustang forums do talk of this and there are varied differences of opinion. Still, you cannot argue with available facts and figures so I stand (humbly) corrected (my first oil change was with 5W20 by Motorcraft)
Thank you for your service! Happy Independence Day :cheers:

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
2015 GT and the 13 BOSS Are the same thing internally motor wise. Do you think the 2014 GT TP magically was different??? My guess is the chart hasn't been updated to reflect a 2015 GT PP.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Unlike the '14's where Ford recommended a heavier oil in the TP cars they only have one for the '15's. It could be strictly for MPG's, could be because they have enough history that 5/20 does support the loads sufficiently, perhaps they tightened up tolerances internally that a 50W oil causes problems. I've been running the 5/20W blend over multiple track days and oil starts to get warm but no issues so far. I also trust the blend over full synthetic because it has a gradual degradation curve vs. Full Synthetic that typically drops off the chart when it begins to degrade. Individual results may vary.
Lube Recommendations.jpg

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Stick to the owners manual and do a UOA here and there if you want to keep and eye on things. The opinions on mustang forums are for the most part from a bunch of nobodies with non-existent engineering backgrounds and consist of perpetual blabbing about bean counters, CAFE standards and tolerances.
Sponsored

Last edited: