Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
Just finished installing JBL GTO629's in the front and rear this weekend - quite an improvement all around :D. I'll get some details/pics together sometime soon.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord Touring

Stangalang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12gt
Just finished installing JBL GTO629's in the front and rear this weekend - quite an improvement all around :D. I'll get some details/pics together sometime soon.
Looking for details for sure. I have the 400a and replacing the rears alone did little to none for me. Still crap...

Sponsored

MDRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
So speaking as someone who has zero car audio experience how hard is it to replace the stock speakers? Are they a simple matter of removing the old set, mounting the new ones and plugging a couple connections together? I'm looking to do the front and rear 6.5's with the JBL GTO 638 when I get the car. Also would a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer be a good replacement for the stock woofer and same question about installation. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but audio systems are pretty unknown territory for me.

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
So speaking as someone who has zero car audio experience how hard is it to replace the stock speakers? Are they a simple matter of removing the old set, mounting the new ones and plugging a couple connections together? I'm looking to do the front and rear 6.5's with the JBL GTO 638 when I get the car. Also would a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer be a good replacement for the stock woofer and same question about installation. I consider myself pretty tech savvy but audio systems are pretty unknown territory for me.
I just did the rears. Overall it was pretty simple. The hardest part was getting out the back screws against the rear window. You pretty much have to sit Indian-style on top of the rear seats folded, hunch over with your head against the rear window, and use the shortest 1/4" socket you have. And you have to have a lot of patience because it takes a while. You either will have to use an adapter to go from the factory connector to the aftermarket spade connectors, or cut the wires and solder on new connectors and an extra length of wire as I did. Or you can use positap connectors.

There is a video about changing the rear and door speakers on youtube, and that helped a lot. The doors should be simple in comparison because you don't have to be contorted in a confined space.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
I apologize guys for those of you that have been waiting... I've been swamped with work and apparently MS removed OneDrives public sharing of pictures ability. I'll try to get more in depth details with pics by the end of this weekend.

If you only plan to replace the 4 main 6.5" speakers then I'd say it's somewhat easy - just time consuming. In another post we determined the Metra connector (72-5602) to use but they are hard to come by. My installation was basically all plug and play but it took some preparation (connectors + adapters, finding speakers with an adapter ring, etc.).

I just did the rears. Overall it was pretty simple. The hardest part was getting out the back screws against the rear window. You pretty much have to sit Indian-style on top of the rear seats folded, hunch over with your head against the rear window, and use the shortest 1/4" socket you have. And you have to have a lot of patience because it takes a while. You either will have to use an adapter to go from the factory connector to the aftermarket spade connectors, or cut the wires and solder on new connectors and an extra length of wire as I did. Or you can use positap connectors.
Agreed about the rear installation - plan to do it in some shade or on a cool day because it gets hot back there quick (open the doors/trunk if you can). I did the installation on a cool rainy day because the rear is not exposed and figured the day would not be wasted (don't attempt if you're not sure you can keep everything dry).

There is a video about changing the rear and door speakers on youtube, and that helped a lot. The doors should be simple in comparison because you don't have to be contorted in a confined space.
Stage 3 made a decent video: [ame] that covers the front / rear installation for the most part. After installing both sets I actually think the doors were more difficult because you have to be careful with all the modular parts/components. On the drivers side, I cracked one of the plastic posts that was screwed into the mirror adjustment module and it slightly scratched my door. Otherwise it all turned out pretty well after a few hours of disassembly, installation, reassembly, and repairs where needed. When I have time I'll cover the installs in more detail.

On a side note, has anyone used speaker baffles with their door installations or any kind of protector before? I noticed that the doors are pretty well sealed but there is no kind of speaker cover or shield. I've heard that it's better just to install the speaker in the door without any kind of cover for optimal response. My concern is about environmental conditions because even a small amount of rain water seems to get into the doors. Luckily the JBL GTO629's seem like solid hardware and "engineered for the environment and conditions in today’s cars" but I don't want them to short out.

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
So I read every page of the thread and this is what I ordered for my set-up:
Front/tweeters: PPI P65c3 6-1/2" Power Class 3-Way Component
rear: JBL Grand Touring Series GTO638
Adapter: METRA 72-5602

I'm going to tackle the rears this weekend and wait for a shop to tackle the fronts(since they don't have mounts I feel like it will be more difficult than what I can handle, thoughts?)

Then I'm going to add a 10 inch sub in the future but for now this will do.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I read every page of the thread and this is what I ordered for my set-up:
Front/tweeters: PPI P65c3 6-1/2" Power Class 3-Way Component
rear: JBL Grand Touring Series GTO638
Adapter: METRA 72-5602

I'm going to tackle the rears this weekend and wait for a shop to tackle the fronts(since they don't have mounts I feel like it will be more difficult than what I can handle, thoughts?)

Then I'm going to add a 10 inch sub in the future but for now this will do.

Please update this thread once you have completed those 3 ways up front. Did you check mounting depth's of the stock locations. That's one thing I haven't gotten time to verify yet. If you happen to have them could you post them? Are you concerned you will be under powering those 3 ways by just running them of the stock amp?

Sponsored

Nemesis911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Durango R/T, 2010 H-D CVO FLSTSE
Has anyone determined what size speaker is in the rear side panels of the convertible?

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
Please update this thread once you have completed those 3 ways up front. Did you check mounting depth's of the stock locations. That's one thing I haven't gotten time to verify yet. If you happen to have them could you post them? Are you concerned you will be under powering those 3 ways by just running them of the stock amp?
Well I have the premium model so it does have the shaker pro amp and I thought it would be enough considering the speakers have a 94 db sensitivity so it takes 1 watt to drive 94db whereas a 87 db speaker requires 4 watts to drive 94db!

I'll try to get the installers to do some depth measurements since I honestly don't feel like tackling the fronts, I saw the video and it looks quite simple other than the custom mounts and I've never changed out the tweeters so I'll see how it goes, maybe someone local to me can help me out and I'll repay in beer and food :D

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
So what speaker is front center in our cars and has anyone attempted upgrading it? I know with the shaker pro when I try and get any volume out of my system that's clearly the loudest one, but it would be nice if it were more crisp and clear.

Xantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what speaker is front center in our cars and has anyone attempted upgrading it? I know with the shaker pro when I try and get any volume out of my system that's clearly the loudest one, but it would be nice if it were more crisp and clear.
3.5" for those that have it. I don't plan to do anything with it. I will either run it as is for fill, or disconnect it.
Sponsored