Sponsored

upgrade just speakers

jake-88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium automatic select shift
Hey guys ...has anyone upgraded there speakers? Don't really care to put a new amp or subs in. I have the shaker audio system (400a) and it's not exactly what I was expecting...will upgrading these speakers make a difference? Also is there an amp with the stock shaker already? Just want a more crisp clear sound and a little more bass
Sponsored

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
A lot of complaints about the 9 speaker system. It is just kinda weak. No volume or bass from the back deck speakers. Same amp as the Shaker Pro. 8 +1 located behind driver side kick panel.

I have been trying to find replacement speakers for the back deck that would make more volume from the same signal and enhance the bass without having to add a kicker in the trunk.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am waiting for Crutchfield to come up with some recommendations, but they are taking their sweet time.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
Yup -- nothing in Crutchfield for a 2015 Mustang. :(

Sponsored

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
I'm a little disappointed that Crutchfield doesn't have anything yet but I guess the 2015 Mustang just isn't a high priority around there.

From reading the threads for weeks and weeks, this is what I've gathered. The rear deck speakers are 6.5" coaxial speakers - coaxial because the woofer and tweeter are together. Things get more interesting up front depending on the trim level of the car. Its my understand that base models have 6.5 coaxials in the doors - but I could be wrong. For Shaker Pro systems, the factory uses component speakers in the doors. There's a 6.5" woofer & 3.5" midrange in the door and a 1" tweeter in the a-pillar.

I haven't gotten my car yet but from screwing around with a Shaker Pro on the lot, I thought it sounded just okay with my CDs. Even after EQ I thought the highs could have been a little brighter. I did give the subwoofer something challenging to play and it passed the test, impressively so. I can rest easy on that. However I'm thinking the speaker swap might give the added clarity guys like me are searching for.

-SeventhWard

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If someone was able to dig up specs on the factory speakers, we could then put in equivalently spec'd speakers for better sound quality. I haven't found anything showing wattage, sensitivity, etc for comparison though.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I dont think the back deck speakers for the 9 speaker premium are coaxials.

I think the 12 speaker Shaker Pro added coaxials to the 6.5 inch back deck speakers along with the kicker in the trunk to give them a total of "twelve" speakers.

The 6.5 inch coaxial is one speaker, but they count it as two because of the coaxials. I guess thats new math, because it does not make sense to me.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
If someone was able to dig up specs on the factory speakers, we could then put in equivalently spec'd speakers for better sound quality. I haven't found anything showing wattage, sensitivity, etc for comparison though.
I have searched and cant find any specs.

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I contacted Crutchfield also. They responded simply that they have no information about the 2015 and cannot make any recomendations.

Sponsored

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Im wanting to upgrade the speakers as well.. Not doing the sub box thing in the trunk as i want to keep the car lightweight and have trunk space. Ill be watching the various speakers that come out over the months. Really would love to get a quality system sound out of just replacing the factory speakers and maybe the head unit without installing subs..

del101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
For those that have the 9-speaker system, let me tell you, the premium 12-speaker system is likely not much better. Now that the afterglow of the initial purchase is dimming, Ive noticed the sound is quite insufficient. The bass is fine, but the mid-treble ranges are very very poor. Example, when playing Muse's Sing for Absolution, you can't hear the piano or backup vocals because the speakers are too busy with the electric guitar and bass frequencies. Shoddy. Best-Buy people had no idea what kind of speakers I should get. Whoever figures this out, please let the rest of us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
The only specs I know for the speakers is that in the premiums the door woofers say 25W at 4 Ohms on the back of them. The tweeters and mids each say 12.5W at 8Ohms.

Can't speak for the center channel or the rear co-axials. Probably wouldn't be hard to just open the trunk and look at the back of those magnets. They're probably also 25W at 4Ohms if I had to guess.

My suggestion for what it sounds like you want is to find some speakers with sensitivity above 90dB/W to help with volume at the same power levels. Even then, you still won't get too much more volume without extra power, but you'll get a little bit with some clearer sound at least.

Jamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra Coupe
I've looked into this quite a bit. There is information at Crutchfield as to the construction of the Shanker System I believe through the 2009 model. They may have added a speaker pair but I think it's the same otherwise.

Concentrate just on the door speakers. You can forget about the others in the rear, for the most part. They don't add anything to the sound stage anyway. The Shanker System (it gets its name from the wart-like structure on the door) has a cheap 6X8 speaker plate with a "tweeter" and a "sub" in each door. The plate and the tweeter are powered directly by the radio, fortunately, and the signal can be amplified. The sub is powered by an amp in the driver's kick-panel, with an odd impedance and it is another story.

You aren't going to improve the sound by just changing out the speaker because the speaker is already matched to the output from the head unit and is probably as good as that will allow it to be.

But you (meaning a qualified installer) can easily retain the factory head unit and add a small amp powered by the high level input from the head unit to the speaker plate in order to feed a pair of components - mid and tweeter, leaving the door sub alone. If you want to add a real sub in the rear, you can feed its amp from the high level input at the rear speakers and use the fader as a balance.

It will work great.

toplessfun

Photographer / IS Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.yankiyuksel.com
First Name
Yanki
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I'm waiting on the exhaust to arrive before I take delivery of my 2015... But when I do, the next place it's heading is a local shop here in Ontario.

I have been dealing with them for the last 20+ years for my audio needs.

my 2008 shaker system only had the deck replaced. They then re-tuned all the speakers and crossover points along with the gains from the amps... it sounded amazing. People were shocked that it was all stock speakers and amps.

But, I've heard the 12 speaker system I will be getting in the new car.... With them doing away with the amazing woofers in the doors... they have really reduced the sound stage in the front of the car. Being a convertible for me, the Sub in the trunk will not affect my listening pleasure enough to make a difference.

In any case, he is currently developing a speaker and tunning setup for my car while keeping the stock deck. No changes will be made to speaker locations or sizes... This should be a simple retrofit of new speakers into original locations etc.

I will let you all know what kind of damage it is and how much of an improvement it will be over the stock setup as soon as I get it done. :)
Sponsored