2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I would also ask for all of my factory parts back that were removed to facilitate the install, otherwise, those parts will become his to sell or use on other jobs for an additional profit.
This 100%. Keep EVERYTHING.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
The fact that you didn’t think of that already leads me to believe that a professional install is a better route for you and the car.
I had somebody who was willing to help and has done 8 installs for a lot less but wanted a professional. I just didn’t think the shop would screw me like this. I even told him the quote was the highest I was willing to go.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I had somebody who was willing to help and has done 8 installs for a lot less but wanted a professional. I just didn’t think the shop would screw me like this. I even told him the quote was the highest I was willing to go.
I wouldn’t say you’re screwed. You’d be screwed if you blew it up.

I mean you have the funds to buy the kit right? A good install is worth every penny. Imagine if you low balled someone and they did a crap job and it blew up.

Never skimp on your mechanic, lawyer or tax person. I’d even put barber in there too lol

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I’d go over the car with a fine-tooth comb to make sure the install is indicative of the price he’s charging you. If anything looks amateurish, I’d make that known to anyone, who will listen.

I would also ask for all of my factory parts back that were removed to facilitate the install, otherwise, those parts will become his to sell or use on other jobs for an additional profit.
If he's having to pay someone else to do the install, I doubt he could double check any of the work

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I also suggest that you play it safe and go easy on the car until you have a custom tune done. You can also double check the work he did against the instruction manual and/or various pics and videos on the internet to at least see if you can find peace of mind in the quality of the install.

We all get hit like this on occasion, although it seems like it’s happening, more and more these days. Heck, it just happened to my wife and I last week, when we went to a brand name dealership to have two new 21” P Zero tires on her car and get an alignment. we even had an appointment and sat in the waiting room for 3.5 hours to have the work done. At the end of the waiting period, the Service Writer tells us the car was ready and we’re good to go. We pay the bill and as soon as we started the car to prepare to leave the dealership, we checked the tire pressures on the dash and they were all over the place, when they should have been at 32 psi all the way around. Too much focus on making money (and a lot of it) instead of ensuring the work has been done properly. See pic of actual tire pressures here.

1709324263502.jpeg

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
You can always buy a couple of 12 packs, order some pizza & have a buddy come over & help you k.o. out. You'll gain some knowledge, get a good feeling from the accomplishment, & have a good memory from that one time you almost paid a few grand to do something just about anyone can do. All that shop is gonna do is follow the instructions that came in the box.

OP I would probably just pay the extra money. Sure it is annoying but they are doing the work, currently mid job on it and it's not that much more anyway.

I swear, arguing about $450 is not something to get upset about when they are all up in your ride... Don't lose your shit, just keep cool. Perhaps if money was an issue you might have went the way my dude @Cordero1 described above.

Last edited:

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I also suggest that you play it safe and go easy on the car until you have a custom tune done. You can also double check the work he did against the instruction manual and/or various pics and videos on the internet to at least see if you can find peace of mind in the quality of the install.

We all get hit like this on occasion, although it seems like it’s happening, more and more these days. Heck, it just happened to my wife and I last week, when we went to a brand name dealership to have two new 21” P Zero tires on her car and get an alignment. we even had an appointment and sat in the waiting room for 3.5 hours to have the work done. At the end of the waiting period, the Service Writer tells us the car was ready and we’re good to go. We pay the bill and as soon as we started the car to prepare to leave the dealership, we checked the tire pressures on the dash and they were all over the place, when they should have been at 32 psi all the way around. Too much focus on making money (and a lot of it) instead of ensuring the work has been done properly. See pic of actual tire pressures here.

1709324263502.jpeg
Did you not say anything, or did ya just leave? After spending that kind of coin I would have.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
OP I would probably just pay the extra. Its't not that much more th

OP I would probably just pay the extra money. Sure it is annoying but they are doing the work, currently mid job on it and it's not that much more anyway.

I swear, arguing about $450 is not something to get upset about when they are all up in your ride... Don't lose your shit, just keep cool. Perhaps if money was an issue you might have went the way my dude @Cordero1 described above.
The way I look at it. Its too late now, you start giving him shit and he will do a shit install. At this point I would try to negotiate some. But its really not that big of a difference. Just eat it and select your shops better next time.

The main issue I see was not getting a accurate flat rate for the job before the install. If they can't give you that, they are not experienced doing it with the car or in general. So you stay away from those shops. The kits come with everything needed with very nice instructions, anyone can do it that has some mechanical expertise.

The shops was mentioning hiccups uhh? You would have got a much better install with a shop that has installed them previously, they would give you a proper flat rate.

Its kind of like not tipping for your Door dash, most likely you will be eating spit.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

1709324263502.jpeg
This is a common occurrence with tire installers or shops. The inflate the shit out of them to check for leaks then the morons forget to adjust the tire pressure.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is a common occurrence with tire installers or shops. The inflate the shit out of them to check for leaks then the morons forget to adjust the tire pressure.
Yes indeed! It’s scary though, when you think about them doing anything else to a car. Can’t get air pressure right, then they have no business trying to work on any car.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yes indeed! It’s scary though, when you think about them doing anything else to a car. Can’t get air pressure right, then they have no business trying to work on any car.
My dealer left my oil filter loose. Yep that was the first and last oil change they will do on my car. I do them all now, I figured first one advertised as free I would have them do it. never again unless its some major warranty work.

Oh in addition tire shop had installed my new tires backwards. Basically the wider tires on the skinny rims up front. And the skinny tires on the wide rims on the back. What a fail! lol

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
My dealer left my oil filter loose. Yep that was the first and last oil change they will do on my car. I do them all now, I figured first one advertised as free I would have them do it. never again unless its some major warranty work.

Oh in addition tire shop had installed my new tires backwards. Basically the wider tires on the skinny rims up front. And the skinny tires on the wide rims on the back. What a fail! lol
Frustrating. I know so many good mechanics and the Homer simpsons out there ruin it for the whole trade.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Had a tire shop install directional tires backwards, two different times. And argued with me about it even though "inside" was clearly stamped on the outside of the tire...
I think Ronald Regan had it right, "Trust but verify."
Sponsored