Mechanic shop overcharging

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
I was quoted $2240 for a whipple install on my 2021 mustang gt which was a couple hundred more then shops a little further from me but decided on this shop since it is only 50 mins from me. Shop owner told me that the est is on the high side just incase any hiccups occur. I drop off the car a couple days later he says that he’s gonna have to charge more because the kit has a fuel pump and that they didn’t notice til mid install. Now he’s wanting an additional $450. Is there anything I can do here.
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Fuel pumps are a good thing for these cars. If you want more power you’re gonna want more fuel right?

Generally speaking, the cheapest deal is not always the best.

OP
OP

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
Can argue he said he was higher for things like this and offer him half?
already told him. He replied that day with “ I’ll do what I can” which was nothing. And that he has to charge for the time installing it.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
already told him. He replied that day with “ I’ll do what I can” which was nothing. And that he has to charge for the time installing it.
Sorry, kind of stuck now and hope he doesn't try it again.
Hindsite is 20/20 but maybe ask a shop if they have ever done one before. Maybe hard to find depending on where you live.

Hopefully once its done your good and just a little broke but happy :)

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
You can always buy a couple of 12 packs, order some pizza & have a buddy come over & help you k.o. out. You'll gain some knowledge, get a good feeling from the accomplishment, & have a good memory from that one time you almost paid a few grand to do something just about anyone can do. All that shop is gonna do is follow the instructions that came in the box.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If he's actually installing extra parts then he deserves the extra pay.
You have absolutely no way to tell if any other shop would have run into the same issue. You also were apparently unaware of what all you needed to have done. Anytime you make a modification, be it minor or major, you have to assume there will be unexpected issues.
He gave you an estimate that was unable to be met due to unforseen circumstances and has communicated with you. At least he didn't just do the work and spring it on you when you went to pick it up.

OP
OP

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
Pump was included in the kit.

OP
OP

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
You can always buy a couple of 12 packs, order some pizza & have a buddy come over & help you k.o. out. You'll gain some knowledge, get a good feeling from the accomplishment, & have a good memory from that one time you almost paid a few grand to do something just about anyone can do. All that shop is gonna do is follow the instructions that came in the box.
It’s already in the shop. That would’ve been nice tho.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tv559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang 5.0
That sounds like a setup to make more cash off of you. Was the pump install a DW400 or an entire fuel system?

As for what you can do about it, you can only warn others to save them from the same fate.

• - High flow fuel pump replaces stock pump. According to whipple. Not sure which pump.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
It’s already in the shop. That would’ve been nice tho.
The fact that you didn’t think of that already leads me to believe that a professional install is a better route for you and the car.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’d go over the car with a fine-tooth comb to make sure the install is indicative of the price he’s charging you. If anything looks amateurish, I’d make that known to anyone, who will listen.

I would also ask for all of my factory parts back that were removed to facilitate the install, otherwise, those parts will become his to sell or use on other jobs for an additional profit.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
  • - High flow fuel pump replaces stock pump. According to whipple. Not sure which pump.
Fuel pump install is super simple to do. It’s an hours work or less, so nowhere near worth $450 to do.
Sponsored