would you

stangyota

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
saw a bmw m3 dark blue with black quad tips with glose blak rims at the grocery yesterday, beatiful car, however the roades where covered in salt due to the recent snow storm and i was thinking why would you drive that car under these conditions, salt ,sluch, snow. my mustang is garage kept during the winter.
my friend told me they like to drive there cars and not just look at them in storage. Ok i get it but i am not subjecting my investment to winter elemants. Would YOU ?
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Where I grew up (northern minnesota) the only reason to put cars away for the winter was because they were traction limited when the temp hit -40 and there was 4 feet of snow on the ground šŸ˜Ž

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
It's a car and meant to be driven. Take it out and enjoy it. All of my Mustangs have been year round cars, even when I had a 45 mile one way commute from Port Huron to downtown Detroit.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not only would I, I actually do. Raining now so a lot of the salt has been rinsed off by Mother Nature. But I will be going to the touchless wash this week as well. Finally above freezing after a week and a half of well below freezing temps

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2588.jpeg

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
When I was young and could only have 1 car, I made the sacrifice and drove my Mustangs in the winter because I rather do that than not have one at all. Now that I am older and plan to keep my car, I will not drive it in the salt and shit... rather keep it nice. I was going to get a Scat Pack before I got the S550 and I was planning to drive that year round because I knew I wasn't going to keep it forever and wouldn't have cared about that car like I do the Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stangyota

stangyota

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
When I was young and could only have 1 car, I made the sacrifice and drove my Mustangs in the winter because I rather do that than not have one at all. Now that I am older and plan to keep my car, I will not drive it in the salt and shit... rather keep it nice. I was going to get a Scat Pack before I got the S550 and I was planning to drive that year round because I knew I wasn't going to keep it forever and wouldn't have cared about that car like I do the Mustang.
yes " rather keep it nice"

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
At least for me, it depends on the car. Something like a Shelby, 911, Viper, etc. I wouldnā€™t drive in winter for a variety of reasons. Can it be done? Absolutely, thereā€™s a few guys that drive their C8ā€™s year round here. Snow and salt be damned. So I guess it all depends on your preferences. I love my GT but I also know thereā€™s a lot of them around so if I need to find another one, I can (again not that I want to, at least not now). Some of the other ones I mentioned are harder to replace so that goes into my calculus.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
yes " rather keep it nice"
The only car I ever made money on was a 65gto vert 4speed tripower car.it was 3rd car but I'd drive it on weekends.paid 6k for it and sold it 30 years later fir 65k.investment wise I'd have been better off investing in market
But I have great memories of that car going to national shows all over the country.starting a local gto club making lots of new friends .so drive the cars as much as you can
I now have only 2 cars so drive my 2019 gt pp1 basically every day even over salted roads this week. I used to drag race my 65 till they said no verts so can't run my car either. Have fun

Capture+_2020-08-10-12-25-15.png

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I'm with the majority here, would and do. A car isn't an investment it's an expense. Some places it may make sense to have a winter beater but that still falls under the expense model, it's just a cheaper sacrificial chassis.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I drive mine every time it's dry. I have driven it in the snow a few times though, and it's really fun. I just enjoy looking at that clean undercarriage (this is the first car I ever bought new). So my beater takes the winter abuse for the most part.

I honestly wouldn't worry about devaluing the car or structural rust or anything like that, there's plenty of these out there and modern cars are pretty well rust proofed in the areas that matter.
Sponsored