ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Im thinking the OEM plastic may degrade in the elements as well as possibly high heat. My hood vent exposes the tank.
20231001_164515.jpg

And when looking at the tank, I can scratch plastic off with my fingernail. I'm pointing where the crack is, and I easily scratched the plastic, which came off powdery, where you see the white near the hose connection.

20231001_164420.jpg
Sponsored

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
There is not, but did come up with a way to measure the level for the refill.

Before removing the football, used a wooden dowel as a dip stick. Stuck it in the tank until it bottomed out, marked the full cold level with a sharpie.

New tool for the collection.. Steeda tank does hold a tad more coolant, nothing to write home about, just a footnote.
Thanks đź‘Ť

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Im thinking the OEM plastic may degrade in the elements as well as possibly high heat. My hood vent exposes the tank.
20231001_164515.jpg

And when looking at the tank, I can scratch plastic off with my fingernail. I'm pointing where the crack is, and I easily scratched the plastic, which came off powdery, where you see the white near the hose connection.

20231001_164420.jpg
Definitely get a cover for it. Direct and continuous UV murders plastic over time.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wonder what the difference is between cars and owners (owner care), and how much that factors into the equation?!?! I know guys on here with a fraction of the mileage and a younger car from me, with fading/degrading tanks, and mine is as good as it was day one.

But that statement probably factors into a lot of things, and it probably really makes a difference.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what the difference is between cars and owners (owner care), and how much that factors into the equation?!?! I know guys on here with a fraction of the mileage and a younger car from me, with fading/degrading tanks, and mine is as good as it was day one.

But that statement probably factors into a lot of things, and it probably really makes a difference.
Usage may play into it. I don't know what "care" is expected of an expansion tank, but I certainly use the car hard so it gets lots of heat, and the hood venting exposes it to the elements more than a closed hood does.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Usage may play into it. I don't know what "care" is expected of an expansion tank, but I certainly use the car hard so it gets lots of heat, and the hood venting exposes it to the elements more than a closed hood does.
Just as an example, my engine gets wiped down with every detail, much less each wash. It's a normal part of it. The tanks (along with everything else) will get hit with a QD. No heavy track use, but mine is far from a garage queen. Is that what makes the difference? I think so. I think keeping dirt, grime, dust, etc, at bay is a huge factor on components.

PSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 17 F150, 00 MB C230 Kompressor
20231001_164515.jpg

20231001_164420.jpg
Plasti Dip that thing. Did mine about a year ago, still holding up just fine. Put a strip of electrical tape on the side so you can have a level view window.
ETA: I just noticed you’re OP with the busted tank. Maybe dip your replacement lol

IMG_4569.jpeg

Last edited:

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
20231001_164515.jpg

20231001_164420.jpg
How do the rest of the plastics under the hood look? Are they also aging prematurely? Unless this tank was exposed to some kind of strong chemical (And, Im not sure what would even cause this), I’d start to wonder about the quality control on the tank itself. That’s not what it should look like on a 2020.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I have a tank I took off my 21 that I don’t need. Let me know if you’re interested in it and I can send pics.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Don't know that dust or grime has anything to do with it.
20231003_170115.jpg

The only other thing that looks odd is my anchor room plate that keeps fading to pink from black (they've sent me more and are working with me to figure out why - I suspect heat there, too).

Thanks for the offer, @Evolvd, but I think between heat and exposure my engine bay seems inhospitable to the stock plastic so I'm going to switch to one of the metal options.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have read of several other Ford Plastic Coolant tanks that have become brittle and cracked. I did the same research and read the stories of the Mishimito tube issues.
I just purchased the Steeda which seems to be a solid solution. Have not installed it yet, but it's on my list.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
20231001_164515.jpg

20231001_164420.jpg
Check the cap also. If it didn't let out pressure at the rated psi, that might have been part of the cause.

Rubyymustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 ford mustang gt
I have the Mishimoto and the sight gage attach point started leaking. It's just a press fit over a port with a tiny O ring. I contacted Mishimoto and they said they carry no replacement parts?? Huh? Anyway, they said then send it back for a replacement. I didn't have the receipt so I went to a hardware store and found a O'ring that seemed to work as it snapped on over the port. A couple of days later I opened the hood and the entire sight assembly was gone. I went to Advance Auto and bought two brass plugs, which they carry, used blue heat thread tape and plugged it. So that's my Mishimoto tale
what size are the brass plugs that you bought

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting to read about the site glass deal. What is being written is exactly the reason I prefer the Steeda tank.
Sponsored