Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
what size are the brass plugs that you bought
I don't recall as it's been a while. I reinstalled the oem tank, pulled the fittings, went to Lowe's and found a nut that fit the tank nipples. Then found that Advance had them. Also used high temp thread tape.
Sponsored

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't remember. I went to Home Depot and found a tube that matched. It cost like five bucks. Don't forget to put Teflon tape on the pipe thread.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I don't remember. I went to Home Depot and found a tube that matched. It cost like five bucks. Don't forget to put Teflon tape on the pipe thread.
When mine Started leaking I just removed it and plugged it with brass plugs. It's a lousy design and Mishimoto carries no spare parts so they want to replace the entire tank with proof of purchase which I couldn't find. I'd already had it powder coated at the time, because their polishing job sucked, so the plugs it was.

Sponsored

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
They told me the same. That's why I fixed mine myself, the picture is post repair. I wanted to keep the site tube, nothing wrong with plugs if that's what you like.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The tank I have has no site tube. I check coolant levels every so often.
Sounds like the site tube is pretty important to some people. Am I missing something, are coolant levels that important? I mean I know to a certain extent but if I lost an inch or something from one check time to another would it be a big thing?

Screenshot_20240114-192533_Photos~2.jpg

Sponsored

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
The tank I have has no site tube. I check coolant levels every so often.
Sounds like the site tube is pretty important to some people. Am I missing something, are coolant levels that important? I mean I know to a certain extent but if I lost an inch or something from one check time to another would it be a big thing?

Screenshot_20240114-192533_Photos~2.jpg
Indeed checking the level periodically is a good thing...though I admit I don't look under my hood to check it as much as I should. I'd rather find I have a slow leak before I one day getting an overheating warning.

Of course checking the oil when you check the coolant level is good as well to let you catch potential issues ahead of a potential oil pressure warning. 🙂
If I get to the dash warning, I then wonder if there was some damage resulting from the low fluid levels.

So even though I'm not as religious about checking those fluids as I once was, I still like to know if I am inviting catastrophic damage by not noting beyond-normal fluid loss rates.

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Indeed checking the level periodically is a good thing...though I admit I don't look under my hood to check it as much as I should. I'd rather find I have a slow leak before I one day getting an overheating warning.

Of course checking the oil when you check the coolant level is good as well to let you catch potential issues ahead of a potential oil pressure warning. 🙂
If I get to the dash warning, I then wonder if there was some damage resulting from the low fluid levels.

So even though I'm not as religious about checking those fluids as I once was, I still like to know if I am inviting catastrophic damage by not noting beyond-normal fluid loss rates.
I'm not paranoid about it just like you I'm aware an do check now and then.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well I finally got around to replacing the oem coolant tank with the Steeda brand I picked up last year. I looked at several different models including the Mishimito, but ultimately chose the Steeda. The install was pretty simple, but not without a little coolant spillage. I purchased a hose clamp pliers which really helped with the OEM clamps.
I was concerned about the clearance of the Ford OEM passenger side oil seperator; it's a tight fit, but enough of a gap that everything cleared just fine. Emptied the oil seperator while I had everything apart. The original plastic tank did not look the best for wear; glad to have completed this.
A couple of questions for the group (Steeda Specific)
1. The new tank does not have a filler cap notch near the base of the threads. The stock unit had this so that you knew how tight to screw on the cap. It also allowed the cap graphics to be upright and centered, not that it matters. I am wondering on the Steeda do I just need to screw it on finger tight for a proper seal?
2. How much extra fluid should I put in the reservoir tank? I poured in what was in the plastic tank, but I know they said it has a higher capacity, just not sure at what level fill it to?
20240216_183253885_iOS.jpg
20240216_183306040_iOS.jpg
20240216_202916519_iOS.jpg
20240216_200910335_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IMO, the factory and all aftermarket choices just look totally ugly…

I’m really surprised at this stage that no one in the aftermarket or even some guys on here have not designed a better coolant overflow bottle; instead of being an ugly tank mounted at the top, why not one that is designed to be vertical and hug the fan shroud…. OR be placed in another location where it is still easily accessible, BUT isn’t just “right in your face” after opening the hood.

There has to be a better way…
Sponsored