Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My 19 Roush had the 2 original cats and the 3 replacement cats. That’s 5 total which is problematic.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
So,.....is it the catalytic convertors that are cheap and no good, is it the tune or the power level that is causing the cats to go bad?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The cat converters definitely aren’t cheap, but they are 1200 cell ceramic monolith cores, not intended for rapid heat-up. The tune can only do so much to preserve them. The “tendons” are super thin to make room for the cell count, which makes them weak and easy to fracture.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The cat converters definitely aren’t cheap, but they are 1200 cell ceramic monolith cores, not intended for rapid heat-up. The tune can only do so much to preserve them. The “tendons” are super thin to make room for the cell count, which makes them weak and easy to fracture.
Thank you.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
My 19 Roush had the 2 original cats and the 3 replacement cats. That’s 5 total which is problematic.
My 2018 had both cats replaced at 7,000 miles. Under warranty.

So,.....is it the catalytic convertors that are cheap and no good, is it the tune or the power level that is causing the cats to go bad?
There are multiple reports of bad cats for this motor. Especially under boost. Even under stock power levels though.

You know….I’d swear I’ve heard of at least a dozen or two cat failures on Roush cars…and it’s commonly accepted that cat failures kill motors. Yet I’ve not seen an actual reported engine failure with the Roush kit on a gen3. Interesting.
I'll be posting about my current situation shortly.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Quick Cat Question:

Car is garaged since December and with 10500 miles. The couple of times I started-warmed up and ran around the block-noted a slight burnt smell briefly after cracking the throttle.

No issues up to point when I garaged for the winter. No apparent codes, etc. Car was very strong in the cooler air.

Open to other thoughts with experience on this.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Took the Roush to the dealership yesterday morning and came away with 2 new catalytic converters and a tune. The previous tune was from October of '21. This was cat number 2 and 3. It's been to the same dealer both times, so they were very easy to work with. Even with the new tune, I'll probably try to get switched over to long tubes to get away from the factory cats. With that, I'll have to say goodbye to the factory warranty. Other than the cats it's been a great car.
I just got a new set of cats put on mine 2 weeks ago and its the 2nd set and the warranty ran out today lol. The car runs great my only other problem I hate is the rattle from 2k to around 2700

Steve68Cougar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 Cougar, '08 Mustang Bullitt, '18 Mustang RS2
I just got a new set of cats put on mine 2 weeks ago and its the 2nd set and the warranty ran out today lol. The car runs great my only other problem I hate is the rattle from 2k to around 2700
As quoted from the Ford warranty guide:

" — 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic emissions control unit, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices, including the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM). — 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all other covered parts. (Note: Ford’s 3-year, 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper coverage, as described above, surpasses this mandatory federal coverage.) "

Bumper to bumper is 3/36k, powertrain is 5/60k, and then what is posted above for the emissions systems. Also, roadside assistance is 5/60k. You should be covered for a while with a 2020 unless you've REALLY been driving it a lot. My '18 was bought new in 2020, so I actually have about a month of bumper to bumper left on mine. The supercharger shouldn't affect any of this, except possibly the powertrain. The emissions I believe are federally mandated, so that shouldn't change. Someone else may have a different take on it, but that's what I was told.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I went to the dealership 2 weeks ago because I had code for Cats. They scanned and reset and did tell me they have it in the notes and if the code comes back they will order. They also reminded me emmissions are covered for 8 years/80K.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
As quoted from the Ford warranty guide:

" — 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic emissions control unit, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices, including the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM). — 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all other covered parts. (Note: Ford’s 3-year, 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper coverage, as described above, surpasses this mandatory federal coverage.) "

Bumper to bumper is 3/36k, powertrain is 5/60k, and then what is posted above for the emissions systems. Also, roadside assistance is 5/60k. You should be covered for a while with a 2020 unless you've REALLY been driving it a lot. My '18 was bought new in 2020, so I actually have about a month of bumper to bumper left on mine. The supercharger shouldn't affect any of this, except possibly the powertrain. The emissions I believe are federally mandated, so that shouldn't change. Someone else may have a different take on it, but that's what I was told.
Thank very much for the info !! I have had the car for 3 years only have 20k miles on it but a very hard 20k miles. I use it for my around town car. I would say the longest road trip was 400 mile round trip because I am always in my truck

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I went to the dealership 2 weeks ago because I had code for Cats. They scanned and reset and did tell me they have it in the notes and if the code comes back they will order. They also reminded me emmissions are covered for 8 years/80K.
they told me same thing and it came back on before I got home

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I was sort of hoping mine would also, but hasn't come back yet.

they told me same thing and it came back on before I got home

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Well.. I'm probably the first to blow a 2018+ motor in this thread. And it had no cats so I doubt that was the problem. Car ran like a bat out of hell one day and then I drove it to work the next. Started it at lunch to go home and it lit the CEL. Misfires on cylinder 6. Not plugs, not coil packs... Not covered under warranty due to "no cats"... (no surprise).

More details soon.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Well.. I'm probably the first to blow a 2018+ motor in this thread. And it had no cats so I doubt that was the problem. Car ran like a bat out of hell one day and then I drove it to work the next. Started it at lunch to go home and it lit the CEL. Misfires on cylinder 6. Not plugs, not coil packs... Not covered under warranty due to "no cats"... (no surprise).

More details soon.
Oh damn man sorry to hear.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)