Sponsored

So when will someone make a gear drive

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
More precise cam timing and it would allow 10,000 plus RPM
Koenigsegg is already getting rid of cams. They have a 2.0TT i3 making 600HP 442TQ, runs on Ethanol and has 0 cams. Peak power was around 7500RPM if I recall. Makes it kind of put the Coyote to shame when you look at the numbers on paper. Imagine it scaled to a V6 or v8.

The problem is the return on investment.

Between FreeValve, variable compression, and CVT's if there was enough real push for them, we would have car that got great MPG(easily high 40's into 50's) and drove very smooth when just going around town. Then, made great power, revved VERY fast, and locked to optimal peak RPM for making power when you put the foot down.

90% of people don't care about any of that though and well... capitalism is a thing.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
90% of people don't care about any of that though and well... capitalism is a thing.
It's the war on ICE that is stopping the progress. A 500 WHP car that got 50 mpg and drove as smooth as a camry would sell like hot cakes. Too bad the coming generation thinks the world is coming to an end due to oil.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
They did it on the 427 Cammer engine, but only because the long chain was having many issues. Coyote's aren't.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Hello; Noise and cost likely the bigger of the issues. All those straight cut gears will whine. Straight cut will be stronger so worth the noise for some gear heads.
I had a gear drive in a 427 Chevy BB. It's was a noisy bitch.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
It's the war on ICE that is stopping the progress. A 500 WHP car that got 50 mpg and drove as smooth as a camry would sell like hot cakes. Too bad the coming generation thinks the world is coming to an end due to oil.
I agree the while oil is bad thing really sucks. But if manufacturers wanted to give us such a car would they? They are in bed woth the oil companies for way too long. While HP number have improved over the last 30 years, your average mustang doesn't do any better than my 88 5.0 LX did on mpg.

EV are horrible. They are ugly, cost wayy too much, and aren't all that great for the environment. Where are we gonna put all thise batteries when we're done with em? The toxic run off of mining those hard metals into our water and soil. We can't even keep up with the electricity needs now let alone 2.5 cars per US household now using up electricity.

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
... if I remember correctly the mid 90s LT1 had a gear drive from the aftermarket. Some "optispark" distributors (depending on year) couldn't run the stronger LT4 timing chain (Cloyes?) so different options were sourced for higher RPM. If I remember correctly a buddy tried it and it was LOUD. I'm taxing my memory on this though...

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
That would be sweet, too bad the greenie weenies are killing ICE.
Aren't part of our Evos gear drive for the valvetrain? Man, it is a LOUD engine.... (05 883L) clanging and clattering away.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
... if I remember correctly the mid 90s LT1 had a gear drive from the aftermarket. Some "optispark" distributors (depending on year) couldn't run the stronger LT4 timing chain (Cloyes?) so different options were sourced for higher RPM. If I remember correctly a buddy tried it and it was LOUD. I'm taxing my memory on this though...
Having a gear drive in an OHV car is common place from the aftermarket. You're only dealing with 4 gears. Helical gears can reduce the noise greatly. However when talking a DOHC design, that's a s-ton of gears.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Too bad the coming generation thinks the world is coming to an end due to oil.
Not to derail your gear cam thread into an ICE/EV/CO2 rant but the reality is Crude Oil is a biomass formed by phytoplankton and zooplankton not dinosaurs and that needs to be imprinted into every young impressionable mind.
The USA and EU are the only players that have steadily reduced or leveled CO2 gas emissions even as our population has increased. Now they’ve switched the focus to Methane gas as the new Demon greenhouse gas.
The biggest Violators are China, India and Russia. There’s where real air quality change needs to start.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
(05 883L) clanging and clattering away.
yea, sporsters have lots of gears. Harley's QC is worse than ford.

The Twin Cams came with chain drive cams due to noise regulations but when gear drives are installed correctly they are quiet. We had many over and under sized gears to swap around till we got the backlash and depth correct

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
yea, sporsters have lots of gears. Harley's QC is worse than ford.

The Twin Cams came with chain drive cams due to noise regulations but when installed correctly they were quiet. We had many over and under sized gears to swap around till we got the backlash and depth correct
Not to hijack but my primary chain is dang loud. Tried many different types of oils, various tensions (stuck with what the manual says), even had Harley change to a new chain. Just a whining noise. Harley said it was normal... ahh well...

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Harley said it was normal..
You probably had one of the cranks with .008 runout. Harley said that is normal and OK. We got real creative when installing oil pumps.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Not to derail your gear cam thread into an ICE/EV/CO2 rant but the reality is Crude Oil is a biomass formed by phytoplankton and zooplankton not dinosaurs and that needs to be imprinted into every young impressionable mind.
The USA and EU are the only players that have steadily reduced or leveled CO2 gas emissions even as our population has increased. Now they’ve switched the focus to Methane gas as the new Demon greenhouse gas.
The biggest Violators are China, India and Russia. There’s where real air quality change needs to start.
Hello; back decades ago there was a service station chain which used a dinosaur as part of ads. I think it was Sinclair. But yes, my take is it was as you mention all the masses of small creatures accumulating and being buried that make up oil.

Hello; Yes to the methane as the next big bad guy. The Dutch farmers have already been hit over their cattle emissions.
Saw a web article today about landfills being discovered to emit methane. Not much of a new discovery. Such has been known about for decades. Some years ago even to the point of adding a seal layer to a nearly full landfill so as to be able to capture the methane so it could be used as a fuel. The organic waste that decays in anerobic conditions will make methane.

Some pig farmers tried adding manure to a large rubber bladder. Then allowing the methane to build up.

I had an idea to use the abandoned deep coal mines in my area to generate and capture methane.

The big sources of methane will be methane hydrate in a very cold state in deep waters.

All that said the climate/environmental activists will keep evolving the targets for their ire. What they will eventually get to is a human by just being alive is an environmental hazard. Best example of how far the zeal might go is how far the gender/pronoun craze has gotten to already. Near as I can tell there is no reasonable stopping point for the true believers.

Hello; China has not been doing any actual reduction in carbon with only promises of a "someday" change. Even that someday promise appears to be thrown out in a reaction to a trip to Taiwan recently. An excuse to quit what environmental talks as existed.
India just has no particular way to avoid being a big polluter.
Russsia it seems by its invasion has generated a horrendous environmental disaster. War is likely the ultimate environmental bad guy. Recent reports say they have been shelling nuclear reactors. Wonder if the pro-nuke advocates ever thought someone would be crazy enough to target nuclear reactors in a war?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hello; there is a concern. A few times the computer controlled features of a car went screwy. The fix was to remove the battery cable for a bit and then the computer would reset. A friend had an early throttle by wire car. A 2003 model. We were driving along when the car would not accelerate above idle at all. Took off a battery cable and the car was fine after.

If the valve actuators could be set to fail with the valve closed, then it might be OK. That way there would not be pistons striking an open valve.
the spring keeps them closed so if the actuator stopped working the spring pressure would close the valve
Sponsored