So when will someone make a gear drive

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
It’s time the cam drive system and cams are tossed into the scrap pile of primitive thinking ?

https://www.freevalve.com/freevalve-technology/
I would second this. It seems like freevalve tech really should have caught on a looong while back, especially with how computer controlled modern vehicles are. I'd certainly take that over a whining gear drive. But—too little, too late.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; back in the day I knew a guy with a "rock crusher" transmission (Muncy???) It had a lot of gear whine. I always figured the gears were close to straight cut.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I would second this. It seems like freevalve tech really should have caught on a looong while back, especially with how computer controlled modern vehicles are. I'd certainly take that over a whining gear drive. But—too little, too late.
Hello; there is a concern. A few times the computer controlled features of a car went screwy. The fix was to remove the battery cable for a bit and then the computer would reset. A friend had an early throttle by wire car. A 2003 model. We were driving along when the car would not accelerate above idle at all. Took off a battery cable and the car was fine after.

If the valve actuators could be set to fail with the valve closed, then it might be OK. That way there would not be pistons striking an open valve.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That way there would not be pistons striking an open valve.
Without an actual mechanical lobed cam to actuate the valves I’m speculating that if there was a piston to valve contact event there would be minimal damage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Gear drives are cool, less parts breakage, no chains, more precise - and I can deal with the noise - but it's just not for everyone...
Oh yea, I thought of the noise complaints. It would have to be aftermarket, or Ford performance.

With the war on ICE it will never happen. Too sad.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
that thing would whine more than a millennial doing manual labor.
Not if properly set up. I switched probably 1000 twin cam Harleys to gear drive, none whined.
Hello; back in the day I knew a guy with a "rock crusher" transmission
Muncie, I loved the several I owned.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Without an actual mechanical lobed cam to actuate the valves I’m speculating that if there was a piston to valve contact event there would be minimal damage.
Kinda sorta. Remember there is still a big beefy pneumatic actuator behind the valve. It'd definitely not be as awful as solid metal pushing into solid metal three times over, but I can't imagine it'd just press the valve out of the way either. Suppose it'd depend how much pressure is being sent into that system to move the metal.

PhotoSHO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 GT PP1
Anyone remember the Pete Jackson gear drive for the Windsor engines?
Little known fact but there is one Mustang does have a gear drive for cam timing.
Does anyone remember which Mustang had the factory installed gear drive?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Last edited:

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Anyone remember the Pete Jackson gear drive for the Windsor engines?
Little known fact but there is one Mustang does have a gear drive for cam timing.
Does anyone remember which Mustang had the factory installed gear drive?

IIRC, the 2.8 V6 that was in the Mustang II used timing gears.

PhotoSHO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 GT PP1
I believe you are correct, that was the old german Colonge V6. Neat little engine.
Actually the other one I was thinking of is the P-51 Mustang, which has a Rolls Royce designed V12 and it uses a bevel gear cam drive. Pretty neat engine.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Kinda sorta. Remember there is still a big beefy pneumatic actuator behind the valve. It'd definitely not be as awful as solid metal pushing into solid metal three times over, but I can't imagine it'd just press the valve out of the way either. Suppose it'd depend how much pressure is being sent into that system to move the metal.
I’d guess the FreeValve to be very lightweight in design to achieve extended high rpm duty cycles. I’m unsure to be honest.
Speaking of the FreeValve concept turned reality;
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127582_how-koenigsegg-s-3-cylinder-engine-makes-600-horsepower

Last edited:
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The old slant 6 mopar had a gear drive

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford just rolled the EV F-150 off the line and a few months later, Bam, raw material increase to build batteries.
It's going to keep getting more expensive for batteries as the raw materials get harder to find.
Sponsored