Sponsored

For a daily driver with plans to track it, GT350 or GT?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Uh oh, the Shelby Police found me.
It is what it is. Especially when you start throwing around how special the shelbys are. They are Fords that run down the same line as every other mustang.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I am planning to purchase either a GT or GT350 by the end of this year or Spring/Summer of 2023 but am undecided on which to get. Currently the car would only be used as a daily driver with some spirited country/city driving on well maintained roads with plans to hopefully track it by 2024. The GT350 is undoubtedly my dream car and I would love to get my hands on one - The engine, the history, the curb appeal, fantastic handling & everything else that makes a GT350 a GT350 has me sold. However it would be my only car and I would hate to "ruin" or "waste" such a special car by racking up mileage around town. Would it be enjoyed, absolutely! Would it be tracked much? Most likely not as much as it deserves to be. On the flip side, the GT is more reliable and with a front bumper swap (purely for looks) + some work (I do like a good project car) I believe it could be turned into a track beast while also making a capable daily. Has anyone modded their GT to become a track car comparable to the GT350 or know of someone who did? For the people who have owned both, which did you like best and what would you recommend? The plan would be to hold onto the GT350 till I die or it does and as for the mustang it'd either be a keeper or sold later down the road for a GT350R. The last thing I want to do is regret buying a GT or vis versa so all opinions/input is greatly appreciated!
For the daily driver aspect, looking out over the unique hood of the GT350 with those wide fenders makes it a much different experience. Feels special every time.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I also wouldn't daily a GT350.

I bought mine for weekend use and bought a 3.5K electric leaf for commuting.

Regarding pricing -> I agree it feels overpriced, but honestly, what would I rather have that feels somewhat analog and offers a raucous experience at all times. The only thing at the same level of desirability for me is a Porsche GTS and you don't even want to look up those prices.

Yeah you might be close to a C8, but I can straight faced say I'd rather have the 350 regardless of price difference. The C8 is a grand touring car (but a fantastically capable one). The 350 is a visceral emotional machine.
If I had a gt350 and a leaf I know I would never drive the leaf haha. Good for you for being able to do that. Why drive a boring slow car when you could drive an amazing fast car.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
If I had a gt350 and a leaf I know I would never drive the leaf haha. Good for you for being able to do that. Why drive a boring slow car when you could drive an amazing fast car.
Because once you go on track a few times (at least for me), I'm not interested in stoplight racing in stop and go traffic.

Also, I can push hard at track and not worry I won't have a way to get to work.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
M1, an SS 1LE is going to spank it at any track any day. Assuming same driver skill.
You should look at the Motor Trend Lightning Lap results of said 2 vehicles...I think the spanking is the other way around.

A PP2 car is on par with the 1LE, but just lacked the dedicated coolers that come standard on the 1LE package to compete with the Camaro in an extended race. But now the Mach brings in all that, makes it as good of a track car out of the box as the 1LE. There's no spanking to be had here.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Because once you go on track a few times (at least for me), I'm not interested in stoplight racing in stop and go traffic.

Also, I can push hard at track and not worry I won't have a way to get to work.
You’re 100% right about the street driving after having experienced track driving

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've owned both. The GT is a better daily and the GT350 is a better backroad bruiser and track car. I didn't daily either though.

Track use is hard on cars. I would not put my only mode of transportation around a track.

I spent quite a lot of time without any fun car at all, so I could own my truck outright and have the GT (and then the GT350) as a fun/track car.

Honestly I'm to the point where I want a third car now. This is how old men end up with a shed full of cars they don't drive. :crackup:

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I daily my 18 350 and track it it. Just turned 20,000 miles yesterday during a round trip run from almost Indy to effingham Illinois and back. And last weekend I ran the road course at ims

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've owned both. The GT is a better daily and the GT350 is a better backroad bruiser and track car. I didn't daily either though.

Track use is hard on cars. I would not put my only mode of transportation around a track.

I spent quite a lot of time without any fun car at all, so I could own my truck outright and have the GT (and then the GT350) as a fun/track car.

Honestly I'm to the point where I want a third car now. This is how old men end up with a shed full of cars they don't drive. :crackup:
Yes, cars and motorcycles....
Sponsored