2016 GT Premium PP

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'm not a track guy and I drive in my New Balance running shoes. However, the guys that taught me how to drive always drove in cowboy boots. Bo Duke and Bo Darville. I do not know what brand or model of boots they wore though.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've tried several. The winner? Converse All Star high tops. Narrow, flexible, thin soles. Honestly it's hard to beat them, especially on price point.
This 100% lol. Even though this is a year old comment, it didn't stop being true.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
If your track driving get track shoes. Street driving, what ever is comfortable for you

Thor 142

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
How about a pair of Loafers? This guy was able to do it. :)

This....
I mean, I'm sure you are all way faster around a track than me. I would never brag about my heal toe talent. But most running shoes are fine if you can feel the pedals. My goal is to get my skill level to the point I can do a hot lap in loafers LOL.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Here in Minnesota we have to keep our feet warm but its all good because you can heel-toe and clutch with one foot.
55597BDD-B1EE-4D64-8BB3-1D9671D3ED86.jpeg
In the south, we had to resort to a different driving shoe due to the heat... it also will reach all three pedals... it just takes a bit of practice!

shoes.jpg

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...HA!!!!!!!

Here are my driving 'boots'.......................................:cwl:
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Does color coordination of shoes and car earn me bonus points? 😁

IMG-E1476.jpg

IMG-E1479.jpg

I can also confirm size 9 Dr. Marten's are really good for stomping the loud pedal! Again, color coordinated. :giggle:

IMG-1735.jpg

IMG-1736.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If your track driving get track shoes. Street driving, what ever is comfortable for you
I have gotten the best results using the same shoes on track and daily driving. I don't want to have to adjust to a different pair of shoes during a track day. But I'm one of those - I tried pumas, didn't like them and now I just wear my regular tennis shoes. I wear size 12 but I still feel like the pedals are too far apart and having slightly larger shoes seems to be helpful.

I found throttle control was more in my head than my feet. I just need a good harness pullled really tight and then to focus on what my feet are doing. I don't really need better feeling in my feet.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I have gotten the best results using the same shoes on track and daily driving. I don't want to have to adjust to a different pair of shoes during a track day. But I'm one of those - I tried pumas, didn't like them and now I just wear my regular tennis shoes. I wear size 12 but I still feel like the pedals are too far apart and having slightly larger shoes seems to be helpful.

I found throttle control was more in my head than my feet. I just need a good harness pullled really tight and then to focus on what my feet are doing. I don't really need better feeling in my feet.
I have size 14 and still have issues with pedal placement. I have never been able to heal toe consistently so I finally gave up. I am able to make it work somehow. I said this before, Paul Brown, SCCA GTS champion could not heal and toe. I guess if he could do it Im OK with not doing it.

As far as the shoes go, to each his own. I cannot feel good in the car with street shoes. But I also run events and look at the safety aspect (fire).

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have size 14 and still have issues with pedal placement. I have never been able to heal toe consistently so I finally gave up. I am able to make it work somehow. I said this before, Paul Brown, SCCA GTS champion could not heal and toe. I guess if he could do it Im OK with not doing it.

As far as the shoes go, to each his own. I cannot feel good in the car with street shoes. But I also run events and look at the safety aspect (fire).
Definitely there is a safety aspect. I don't wear any safety clothing and no one else does at the events I go to. But if you do enough performance driving, odds are eventually something will happen and the equipment could save you. I wouldn't mock anyone for wearing a suit/gloves/shoes/hans device etc.

I practice heel toe downshifts every time I drive, because IMO it's that difficult. Definitely it's different on a track than on the street, because you are pressing much harder on both the brakes and the throttle when on track. The thing that helped me the most with my heel toe was getting used to having the steering wheel set much higher. I used to set it down close to my legs. Having it set high in the car leaves a lot more room to move my right leg into position.
Sponsored