Sponsored

This is the worst OEM audio system I ever owned?

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I thought that my 9 speaker, 301A equipped 2019 GT PP2 would have a little better sound coming out of it. My wife's Sedona sounds 110% better than this. Sirius and FM sound horrible. Streaming from my phone sounds a tad better. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I've never been able to max out the volume without the sound distorting. In this car, I can crank the volume all the way up and it just sounds like something is holding it back. Almost like its by design. I know Ford has never been known for their sound systems, but this is pitiful. Is there an electronic limiter on this? Being that the head unit is more of an infotainment center, I don't think changing it out is an option. What is it that's holding it back?
Sponsored

Desmodeous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Your 9 speaker package is marketing bullshit. I can't directly answer about the head unit, but the speakers, regardless of how many are in the cabin are absolute trash. I mean it. Speakers made out of rejected paper recycling waste would be better quality. I switched out the door speakers in mine when one blew out under normal volume. I hardly turned it up beyond 1/3rd of the available range. I had drastic improvement with some basic Kicker 46css674's. Paid in the $150 range and didn't install the tweeters. Some decent punch on percussion, good mid-bass that was completely absent, and can bottom out at about 80-90HZ(Whiz Kaleefa on 'my level' for reference the bass is actually there). Also, my understanding is the rear speakers are hardly driven at all, so much so if you plan on upgrading, don't even bother with them.

I went for the quick, cheap and easy. But installed proper with good damping. I'm sure other here know a lot more about it than I.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Yep, My 19 GT Premium system is Crapola to. The rear speakers are hardly powered. So to fix the stereo will not be cheap. The wiring on our cars can handle a stereo upgrade so that's good.
**If you want to keep the 4 each speakers in the doors and the two rear deck speakers, you will have to run a 8-Channel Amplifier. **This is what I am thinking to doing**
1: Install a JL Audio 8CH DSP AMP, P/N: VX800/8i (75RMS a Channel)
2: Two Door Hybrid Unity 3.7, P/N: U3, (Upper Door Speakers)
3: Two Door Hybrid Unity 6.5, P/N U6, (Lower Door Speakers)
4: Two Rear Deck Hybrid Unity, 6.5 Coax, P/N U61-2C, (Rear Deck)
5: Custom Sub Box to fit into the trunk, front cutout section, NON-Ported 2-10" Subs, JL W3
6: Hybrid Unity Tweeter P/N, U1, (Front A-Pillars)
7: Ford Pack Audio AMP Pro, P/N, AP4-FD21
8: JL 800watt Class "D" HD Amplifier (Power the Subs)
9: Ford Speaker Adapters, P/N 82-FD1
10: Tang 190P
11: JL Audio DSP Dual Knob, P/N DRC-205
What are you thinking of doing?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
there's quite a few 'rebuild' threads out there and well worth reading. You'll also discover that 5 minutes with ForScan you can defeat the head-unit equalizer and get somewhat improved (FWIW) sound.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Sirius is garbage for sound quality. To playing spotify instead.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Your 9 speaker may suck but your 8 Cylinder sound system under the hood is world renowned.

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your time to chime in guys. I’m almost willing to just live with this shitty sound for the sake of not having to tear apart my interior and cut/splice wires. I don’t care what anyone says, even if Jesus himself did an extensive audio overhaul, things are just never the same. Panel clips break, the speakers you want are never just drop in’s, splices are what they are and can be an open door to issues if not done right. I know I sound pessimistic, but even with using highly reputable shops, there were always issues with my installs.
I’ll research the Forscan fix. Unless there’s a plug n play fix, I’ll just enjoy the beautiful sound of my Coyote.

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I really didn't want to change anything about my 2015 GT PP (non-premium), but I have to add a subwoofer, new front speakers, and two amps, if not more.

It's just not tolerable with the stock stereo.

The engine sounds amazing with long tubes, h pipe, high flow cats, cat back, CAI, intake manifold. But it's still not as nice as a decent stereo when you're tired of the engine noises on a 3 hour trip.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I really didn't want to change anything about my 2015 GT PP (non-premium), but I have to add a subwoofer, new front speakers, and two amps, if not more.

It's just not tolerable with the stock stereo.

The engine sounds amazing with long tubes, h pipe, high flow carts, cat back, CAI, intake manifold. But it's still not as nice as a decent stereo when you're tired of the engine noises on a 3 hour trip.
I personally dont like a loud exhaust while cruising around. I prefer to hear it on WOT. thats it. quietttt after and listen to music

15GTPPinCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6M
I personally dont like a loud exhaust while cruising around. I prefer to hear it on WOT. thats it. quietttt after and listen to music
I am ready for an active exhaust/cutouts that are switchable, after living with basically a full race setup for the last year. It's a painful price, but it's probably worth it, depending on the length of the trips. I'm considering a turbo setup, which would quiet it down, but I will probably go with a positive displacement supercharger that has no affect.

500W will drown out quite a bit of exhaust noise.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks for your time to chime in guys. I’m almost willing to just live with this shitty sound for the sake of not having to tear apart my interior and cut/splice wires. I don’t care what anyone says, even if Jesus himself did an extensive audio overhaul, things are just never the same. Panel clips break, the speakers you want are never just drop in’s, splices are what they are and can be an open door to issues if not done right. I know I sound pessimistic, but even with using highly reputable shops, there were always issues with my installs.
I’ll research the Forscan fix. Unless there’s a plug n play fix, I’ll just enjoy the beautiful sound of my Coyote.
This is why I’m doing my own install. That way I know it’s done right and if I make a mistake then it’s on me to fix and not the shop I trusted to do it right.
Our cars aren’t that bad, you don’t need to do any splicing with the products available. You can get a plug in harness that you can wire right to your aftermarket amp so all you’d need is to run your power wire and remote turn on if the amp needs it.

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
As much as I agree that a set of long tubes and H-pipe sounds soooo sweet, it got old real fast when I was on the hwy. My 2014 had a full race exhaust, but that drone was unbearable. I’m blown away how awesome my 2019 GT w/active exhaust sounds with just an H-pipe. In track mode, it’s so bad ass.
Getting back to the subject of audio… Now that I only have the 2019 in the barn, the cabin is much quieter, so I crave getting back to listing to Chris Adler’s double bass or Dimebags signature shredding. This current setup just won’t cut it.

Last edited: