My car is inspiring self confidence

Twister_Orange_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Premium
I'd like to make a short post about how my s550 mustang has given me an immense sense of accomplishment and inspired confidence to take on projects by myself.

Today I did something that most gearheads would chuckle at: installed jacking rails. It was a small endeavor, but it forced me to get out of my comfort zone in several ways.
  • I had to buy equipment without someone holding my hand. A jack, jack stands, and the rails themselves. All of which are costs that don't directly impact the car which really made me procrastinate pulling the trigger on doing it.
  • I had to jack the car up on my own without someone like my dad or friends reassuring me that I was doing it correctly. I placed a 2x4 piece on the jack and carefully went about my business.
  • I had to trust that I was doing my due diligence when researching jacks and stands. I feel like I made good decisions and found good deals on my purchases instead of impromptu card swipes.

20 minutes after actually beginning the project, the car is lowered back down and ready to be jacked up with the rails whenever. I feel amped up now, and immediately want to keep tinkering with the car. I've had it since October 2021 and it is my first car. All of my previous (and current daily) have been GMT800 trucks.

What do you guys think, should I swap out my wheels and tires tomorrow? I live in central Illinois where the weather looks to be staying above 40°F from now on. My tires are Nitto NT555 G2 summer performance. It would give me an excuse to go pick up a torque wrench while I'm getting lumber for a project.

20220303_161547.jpg
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
congrats on your first mod. you have been bitten. it wont stop now. regarding your tires i personally would wait until it warms up a bit more. prob wouldnt hurt anything but your traction for starting stopping and turning is gonna be impacted when the rubber is cold and hard.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
There are no small victories ...or maybe an Obi-Wan quote "you have taken your first step into a larger world". :)

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Jacking rails are my first modifications! I got them from steeda very impressed how well they fit

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twister_Orange_5oh

Twister_Orange_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mustang GT Premium
congrats on your first mod. you have been bitten. it wont stop now. regarding your tires i personally would wait until it warms up a bit more. prob wouldnt hurt anything but your traction for starting stopping and turning is gonna be impacted when the rubber is cold and hard.
I agree. It will be an incentive to lay off on driving it as we make our way into Spring and I can tend to my truck or maybe pull the wax off the hood and ceramic coat it. I'm about 2/3 of the way done coating the car.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's good! These cars are surprisingly easy to work on with a few minor exceptions, like header swap or dropping the rear diff/cradle.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I agree. It will be an incentive to lay off on driving it as we make our way into Spring and I can tend to my truck or maybe pull the wax off the hood and ceramic coat it. I'm about 2/3 of the way done coating the car.
I installed my jack rails as soon as I got the car and I have forgotten I had them installed when I switched out my wheels :crackup:. Me looking for the jacking points:crazy:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I placed a 2x4 piece on the jack and carefully went about my business.
2x4 piece of what? Nothing should go between the jack and the car. That's extremely dangerous.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
2x4 piece of what? Nothing should go between the jack and the car. That's extremely dangerous.
I wouldn't say nothing, I use a competition hockey puck which is the best jack pad ever. It deforms minimally, but enough to allow for some give and flex during the jacking operation, while being soft enough to not tear up painted surfaces. It's also grippy enough to not slide off or move around. Gives an extra inch of lift height too.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Congrats. My first "big" car work I ever did was swap brakes on my Camaro back in the day. It was the early 2000's, so I just looked it up on the forums and someone had step-by-step directions. Did it myself in a couple of hours and felt SUPER confident afterwards.

As far as the jacking rails, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I did those just putting the car up on ramps :) Jacking it up was unnecessary :p However, now you have what you need!

I agree w/ others, be careful putting a piece of loose wood inbetween jack and car. If I'm concerned about metal to metal contact, I use a thin shop rag.

Z

1646402552406.png

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
I installed mine (BMR) with suspension loaded, on my back using a mirror to see what I was doing. I know these are bolt on, but when I had rails welded on my '03 Cobra, the suspension HAD to be loaded.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase