Sponsored

Process for drop ship @ different Ford Dealer?

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
Hi all,

I am getting ready to order a 22 GT500 from an out of state dealer. Does anyone know if you are able to have the car delivered to a different dealer that’s close to you and what the process is? Your help is appreciated in advance!!
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It depends on the dealer. Many won't do it because people use this angle to get around ADMs. Some dealers have gone so far as to refuse to service the vehicle under warranty. Most of the time this occurs in SoCal where the market has huge ADMs.

All you have to do is get the 2 dealerships agree to it. Its called a courtesy delivery.

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
It depends on the dealer. Many won't do it because people use this angle to get around ADMs. Some dealers have gone so far as to refuse to service the vehicle under warranty. Most of the time this occurs in SoCal where the market has huge ADMs.

All you have to do is get the 2 dealerships agree to it. Its called a courtesy delivery.
Gotcha! Thank you for the information. Wouldn’t the billing and everything to through the selling dealer and the shipping would just be different?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Gotcha! Thank you for the information. Wouldn’t the billing and everything to through the selling dealer and the shipping would just be different?
Ive never done it, only read about it. What market do you live in and where did you buy the car? Most wind up having to transport the car. Some just drive it home.

If you live in a market that has huge ADMs, then you may have to do one of the above. Figure on about $1 per mile with enclosed transport.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You are right, they are not allowed to do that. Some have done it anyway. I read of some down in SoCal, and some in the northeast. These dealers don't like you going around them and their ADMs.

themik99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2022 F-150 Tremor
I did the courtesy delivery on mine. Tom is right, it just takes the selling dealer (the one you order/buy the car from) and the delivering dealer (the one who receives the car from the plant and prepares it for delivery) to agree to do the courtesy delivery.

For me, I ordered my car from a dealer in Louisiana and had it delivered to my normal dealer here in Michigan. Side note...my normal dealer didn't have an allocation to order a CFTP which sent me searching for another dealer who did. After I placed the order, I got my salesman in LA talking to my normal dealer salesman in MI, and they took care of the rest. Once the car was built and shipped I did the sales paperwork via FEDEX and wired the money down to the dealer in LA, and took delivery directly from my dealer in MI.

If you do get a courtesy delivery, the Window sticker will show the selling dealer as well as the receiving dealer on it. It really worked out great for me. FRAP is about 40 miles from me, so shipping the car from FRAP down to Louisiana only for me to ship/drive it right back by FRAP on the way home would have wasted weeks as well as money. All in all, it was a very painless process, and it got me my car quicker.

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner
I did the courtesy delivery on mine. Tom is right, it just takes the selling dealer (the one you order/buy the car from) and the delivering dealer (the one who receives the car from the plant and prepares it for delivery) to agree to do the courtesy delivery.

For me, I ordered my car from a dealer in Louisiana and had it delivered to my normal dealer here in Michigan. Side note...my normal dealer didn't have an allocation to order a CFTP which sent me searching for another dealer who did. After I placed the order, I got my salesman in LA talking to my normal dealer salesman in MI, and they took care of the rest. Once the car was built and shipped I did the sales paperwork via FEDEX and wired the money down to the dealer in LA, and took delivery directly from my dealer in MI.

If you do get a courtesy delivery, the Window sticker will show the selling dealer as well as the receiving dealer on it. It really worked out great for me. FRAP is about 40 miles from me, so shipping the car from FRAP down to Louisiana only for me to ship/drive it right back by FRAP on the way home would have wasted weeks as well as money. All in all, it was a very painless process, and it got me my car quicker.
Thanks for the info brother! I’ll shoot you a PM.

OP
OP
Bigbel07

Bigbel07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Belmin
Vehicle(s)
13 gt500 owner

Did the dealer near you that received the car charge you anything additional and you did all of the billing through the selling dealer right?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

mind if I ask which dealer in Louisiana actually played ball?

Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
If I remember, Chapman stopped doing it because it was such a hassle, with customers complaining about additional fees from the receiving dealer

themik99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Did the dealer near you that received the car charge you anything additional and you did all of the billing through the selling dealer right?
I wasn't charged anything extra for it, but I do remember the sales guy saying they had to work out a few things about who got paid what and how much. That said, the selling dealer may have just thrown it in because I did pay an ADM to order the CFTP car to my specs.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
All Star Ford in Prairieville
looool. that is my local dealer. a couple miles from the house. I will not even take the Mach 1 I have on order there for maintenance, they'll get passed up. good thing they never touched your car, I would never allow them to touch anything other than a F-series.

They are a great dealer if you want a truck though.

themik99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
looool. that is my local dealer. a couple miles from the house. I will not even take the Mach 1 I have on order there for maintenance, they'll get passed up. good thing they never touched your car, I would never allow them to touch anything other than a F-series.

They are a great dealer if you want a truck though.
I'll have to defer to your experience on the delivery/maintenance stuff, but all I can say is that they were very professional ordering my car and handled everything about as perfect as you could hope for considering we did everything over the phone 1000+ miles away and I never set foot in the show room. I would buy a car from them again based on my (one) experience.
Sponsored

Last edited: