Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Ford could start shipping unchipped vehicles to dealers later this year
Phoebe Wall Howard

Detroit Free Press

Ford Motor Co. could start shipping unchipped vehicles to dealers around the country, sometime this year — vehicles that cannot be sold to consumers immediately but something to fill dealer lots that are growing barer by the day, the automaker told the Free Press on Monday.

When back-ordered semiconductor chips become available, Ford dealers would then insert them into components in cars that customers have selected and send them home immediately and eliminate an additional wait related to post-parts shipping.

“We’re discussing this idea with our dealers so we can gauge interest. We're assessing and it's still very fluid," Ford spokesman Said Deep said. "This is a scenario we are exploring and we want to be prepared should we decide to implement, which is why we are talking to our dealers now.”

Shipping would not happen right away. If the company moves forward on the plan, shipping could happen before year's end, Deep said.

Dealer technicians are skilled at installing parts and components, a job they do with recall orders and repairs all the time. So this latest development allows Ford to get vehicles to dealers sooner, and allows the final touches to be done on-site, Deep said.

Ford would hold the title until the vehicle is complete, so this strategy does not allow Ford to record vehicles as sold any sooner than normal, as the industry continues to navigate financial challenges amid the supply chain nightmare.

1626807902934.png

However, customers would take custody of vehicles sooner.

“Customers can see a vehicle on their dealer’s lot and when the component (that requires a semiconductor chip) is available and installed, the customer can take delivery. This works out in a way that's positive for everybody," Deep said. "The customer doesn't wait for the truck to get shipped. This allows for another quality inspection after a vehicle has left the factory."

More:2021 Ford Ranger Tremor pickup delivers off-road performance and value

He confirmed that the Ranger, which is built in Wayne, Michigan, is the first vehicle that would be shipped unfinished.

While Ford is still working through the details, it also is exploring adding other vehicle lines, including the F-150.

Thousands of unfinished F-Series, which are currently sitting on lots around the country including Detroit, Louisville, Kentucky, and Kansas City.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
The dealers won't be able to sell them until the chipped components are available and installed due to safety concerns, good thing for the dealers is that they won't have to pay any flooring charges and they will have new vehicles on their lots..

EDIT:
It looks like it may not be a done deal. The dealers were asked if they would be interested in participating in the program and enough dealer accepted, then Ford would go ahead with the plan.

Last edited:

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I just talked to the local dealer and they said it was a done deal. Ford has already started shipping vehicles to the dealers. The dealers won't be able to sell them until the chipped components are available and installed due to safety concerns, good thing for the dealers is that they won't have to pay any flooring charges and they will have new vehicles on their lots..
I know they can't sell it but did the dealer say anything about holding a car for someone who puts a nice deposit on it so know one slips in and gets it?

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I know they can't sell it but did the dealer say anything about holding a car for someone who puts a nice deposit on it so know one slips in and gets it?
They should be able to take a deposit and lock down the sale, they just won't be able to complete the sale it until the problem is resolved.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
They should be able to take a deposit and lock down the sale, they just won't be able to complete the sale it until the problem is resolved.
It should be very interesting to see if they will still be adding the admin when they have inventory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
It should be very interesting to see if they will still be adding the admin when they have inventory.
If Ford empties all the storage lots they are paying for and delivers those vehicles to the dealers, who are not allowed to sell them. There are going to be a lot of full dealership lots full of vehicles waiting for parts. Sounds like a buyers market to me.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So, my destination charge should be the cost of the chip ship then. Nice!

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Really bad idea how will anyone know that things work as intended until the customer takes delivery and starts driving and realizes it’s a shit show . When will companies stop using consumers as guinea pigs-a most ridiculous idea I’ve ever seen- if they want to use Ford dealer lots to store cars fine but don’t expect the Ford tech to get it right on the first Time by plugging in sensitive electronic chips into cars . Repeat after me boys and - electronics in cars are the number one complaint people have about cars . OK rant over but as you can see if I were the boss man the answer to this is no way .

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Really bad idea how will anyone know that things work as intended until the customer takes delivery and starts driving and realizes it’s a shit show . When will companies stop using consumers as guinea pigs-a most ridiculous idea I’ve ever seen- if they want to use Ford dealer lots to store cars fine but don’t expect the Ford tech to get it right on the first Time by plugging in sensitive electronic chips into cars . Repeat after me boys and - electronics in cars are the number one complaint people have about cars . OK rant over but as you can see if I were the boss man the answer to this is no way .
No one will be plugging in chips. The chips will already be installed by the manufacturers in the modules that the techs will install. It is no different than replacing a defective part under warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
No one will be plugging in chips. The chips will already be installed by the manufacturers in the modules that the techs will install. It is no different than replacing a defective a part under warranty.
Not all techs are created/trained equally is the only problem I foresee here.

I know I wouldn't trust the techs in my local small town dealership for this.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not all techs are created/trained equally is the only problem I foresee here.

I know I wouldn't trust the techs in my local small town dealership for this.
Yes, and I can envision scratches that otherwise wouldn't have been there, not to mention increased potential for squeaks and rattles because of disassembly/reassembly.

I'd wager the low tech on the totem pole at a given dealership would get stuck doing a lot of these, get tired of it, and consequently do a shitty job.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a strong Mexican accent, discussing shipping unchipped cars could be a very confusing conversation.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
My guy was telling me that Ford has asked for Dealer inputs on this process. It appears that the PCM is the main component that is missing, and the vehicles can’t be started & moved w/o a PCM….
So, as I understand it, the dealers would be given a couple of PCM’s so they can unload and move vehicles around, but not permanently installed, and can’t sell them. BTW: Their planning is centered around trucks at this point…
The dealers’ issues are:
- Insurance (storms/hail damage, theft of parts, etc.); i.e. Who is liable for these unsellable vehicles while sitting around?
- Can an unscrupulous dealer install a temp PCM and try to sell the car?
- Presume the PCM programming is VIN specific (to the engine, trans, etc.), so how does this temp PCM work, and how will final PCM programming be completed?
- It sounds like Ford’s plan would be ship VIN-specific PCMs as they come available for dealer installation. But the dealers want to prioritize vehicles that may have signed contracts. This approach would require the dealers to be able to fully program a PCM.
This info is least second hand to me. But it does show they are leaning forward to cut down the time from chip availability to consumer delivery.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it was the PCM, there are just to many trucks/suvs that have been moved to storage lots to make that feasible. From what I have heard, it may have to do with the backup cameras and possibly the NAV. I was also told the dealers were not allowed to drive the vehicles once they where parked. I guess we will know what parts are affected when the vehicles get delivered to the dealers.

Lucky for us, Ford hasn't taken this approach with the Mustangs, they don't get released from the plant until they are saleable.
Sponsored