Sponsored

Ford could start shipping unchipped vehicles to dealers later this year

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I don't think it was the PCM, there are just to many trucks/suvs that have been moved to storage lots to make that feasible. From what I have heard, it may have to do with the backup cameras and possibly the NAV. I was also told the dealers were not allowed to drive the vehicles once they where parked. I guess we will know what parts are affected when the vehicles get delivered to the dealers.

Lucky for us, Ford hasn't taken this approach with the Mustangs, they don't get released from the plant until they are saleable.
We had a detailed discussion about the PCM kabuki dance going on. Seems strange to me too, but that was the hot topic.
Backup cameras would be a no-brainer as they fix those all the time.
He was pretty adamant regarding VIN-specific PCMs, etc. But who knows. Most box installs would be pretty simple and I would think the dealers would have little issues with those.
There Is a video out there that shows crews taking trucks to the Speedway in Kentucky for storage. They park the truck, open the hood and remove something, then they go to the next truck and do the same thing.
If they are removing the PCMs, that would make the truck immobile….preventing theft.

GM is already sending trucks to dealers. They may have a different shortage. Ford says they won’t do it unless the dealers agree. So whatever it is, must be more complicated.

I’m sure we will hear more if they begin the process. Will let you know if I get more info.
Sponsored

clavery1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16' GT3RS
We had a detailed discussion about the PCM kabuki dance going on. Seems strange to me too, but that was the hot topic.
Backup cameras would be a no-brainer as they fix those all the time.
He was pretty adamant regarding VIN-specific PCMs, etc. But who knows. Most box installs would be pretty simple and I would think the dealers would have little issues with those.
There Is a video out there that shows crews taking trucks to the Speedway in Kentucky for storage. They park the truck, open the hood and remove something, then they go to the next truck and do the same thing.
If they are removing the PCMs, that would make the truck immobile….preventing theft.

GM is already sending trucks to dealers. They may have a different shortage. Ford says they won’t do it unless the dealers agree. So whatever it is, must be more complicated.

I’m sure we will hear more if they begin the process. Will let you know if I get more info.
I believe part of the GM truck shortage has to do with the wireless charging capability. The trucks are still drivable.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
If they are removing the PCMs, that would make the truck immobile…preventing theft.

I wonder if they are just disconnecting the battery cable or removing the battery? Can you imagine the hassle involved in jump starting or replacing batteries in thousands of vehicles.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had another discussion with my guy. He confirmed that, for the F-150, the issue is a chip missing from the PCM. They want to ship the trucks to the dealers missing that chip: have the dealers crack open the PCM, install the chip, reprogram the PCM clearing any codes.
They want to give the tech 1 hr per vehicle to do this. It it takes about 2 hours for the laptop to reprogram the PCM. So the bay and laptop could be tied up for about 2-2.5 hours per truck. Each tech has one laptop, so it’s not as though they can line up a dozen at a time.
Since the tech’s laptop is tied up, they can’t do much else during this process.
He also mentioned they want the dealers to take “possession” as well. This means floorplan fees, ins cost, etc.
It’s also not completely clear if the trucks are operable in their current state. Maybe in limp mode or something?…
He understands that Ford appears likely to do this over the complaints of the dealers.
Standby….

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Just had another discussion with my guy. He confirmed that, for the F-150, the issue is a chip missing from the PCM. They want to ship the trucks to the dealers missing that chip: have the dealers crack open the PCM, install the chip, reprogram the PCM clearing any codes.
They want to give the tech 1 hr per vehicle to do this. It it takes about 2 hours for the laptop to reprogram the PCM. So the bay and laptop could be tied up for about 2-2.5 hours per truck. Each tech has one laptop, so it’s not as though they can line up a dozen at a time.
Since the tech’s laptop is tied up, they can’t do much else during this process.
He also mentioned they want the dealers to take “possession” as well. This means floorplan fees, ins cost, etc.
It’s also not completely clear if the trucks are operable in their current state. Maybe in limp mode or something?…
He understands that Ford appears likely to do this over the complaints of the dealers.
Standby….
While I haven't caught any wind of this, it really doesn't make any sense for us to open the PCM and solder in whatever "chip" is missing. That causes some severe "what if" thought if the soldering isn't done properly IMO. If Ford does end up shipping incomplete cars we'll probably end up installing the missing module and programming.

I still don't know what "chips" are missing though through all this lack of supply...CPUs? Capacitors? Internal relays? Complete boards? Potato chips? Tortilla chips? I guess we'll find out if Ford makes us assemble the thing...

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I haven't caught any wind of this, it really doesn't make any sense for us to open the PCM and solder in whatever "chip" is missing. That causes some severe "what if" thought if the soldering isn't done properly IMO. If Ford does end up shipping incomplete cars we'll probably end up installing the missing module and programming.

I still don't know what "chips" are missing though through all this lack of supply...CPUs? Capacitors? Internal relays? Complete boards? Potato chips? Tortilla chips? I guess we'll find out if Ford makes us assemble the thing...
I have cracked open a few PCM’s over the years. Most chips are simple prongs or connectors. So I’m guessing that part is a fairly easy install. It’s the overall timing and process that is problematic. Techs like to make money and this process is not a money maker for them.
And of course, fat finger errors will happen…

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
It’s going to interesting to see how this goes.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Standby….
This sounds like a good way to encourage techs to rush a job and cause a bunch of future lemon cars to exist or at the least pay 100s of thousands in rework/new parts.

But on the bright side, Ford will benefit financially in next quarter. Totes worth.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This sounds like a good way to encourage techs to rush a job and cause a bunch of future lemon cars to exist or at the least pay 100s of thousands in rework/new parts.
Exactly, see my post, #12. Given some of my dealer repair experiences, I can envision it clearly. A nightmare for everyone involved.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I am afraid the all those damaged trucks are now owned by the insurance company. These may have been vehicles that were being shipped to the dealers for storage.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am afraid the all those damaged trucks are now owned by the insurance company. These may have been vehicles that were being shipped to the dealers for storage.
I would bet that Ford is “self-insured”, unless the shipping company covers that loss. But either way, they are likely all dumped over to a salvage company that will do whatever it can to make a buck off of that mess. I’m sure Copart will take any vehicle can be pulled out of that pile. Lot’s of good parts (with low mileage) available!
Need a 5.0 w/10 speed auto that has 5 miles on it? Only dropped once! :like:
Sponsored