Sponsored

Millennial Theft Proofing my Mustang

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
just remember....we'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for those iron sights πŸ˜€
Russian veterans be like,
"When I got drafted, they said you were lucky to get a gun.
Then we realized the men that got guns were just the first to die!"

Some Russian pilots be like,
"I had to draw a gunsight on my windshield with a grease pencil!"

Late in the war they had enough guns and sights for everybody, and at that point any new soldier was probably 18 and had these salty old 20-somethings telling him...

QuXDmmCjyNARbssn9oxC2LvrK3ch0fYCylJUxBEkHz4.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
... I think "some" have an issue with a manual shift car/truck is because now they can't hold and play on their phone as they have to shift with the free hand...
Very true!

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
just remember....we'd all be speaking German if it wasn't for those iron sights πŸ˜€

i had a 69 GMC pickup with three on the tree! πŸ˜€ That was a blast.
Yeah, it was funny to try to shift as quickly as you could with a column shifter; first to second was always the most time consuming. But hey, I remember a friend of mine had an old Cedric made by Datsun. It actually had a 4-speed column shifter. The H pattern was essentially what it would be if it was on the floor but I forgot if reverse was pull back and down or pull back and up. Pull back and up would've made it a nightmare to choose first or reverse.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it was funny to try to shift as quickly as you could with a column shifter; first to second was always the most time consuming. But hey, I remember a friend of mine had an old Cedric made by Datsun. It actually had a 4-speed column shifter. The H pattern was essentially what it would be if it was on the floor but I forgot if reverse was pull back and down or pull back and up. Pull back and up would've made it a nightmare to choose first or reverse.
that would freak me out ....4 on the tree! :cwl: very slow and deliberate shifting!
I could see that being a challenge πŸ˜€

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Didn't wait 40+ years to get a Mustang to sell it. It will go to one of my three boys, all who can drive a stick (two expertly, one is a novice.)
I am giving my mustang to one on my three boys as well… they’re all (way) too young to drive, but they will drive stick when they learn.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Speaking of steering column shifters, I thought they were all automatic. I didn't know they made them manual as well. How did they work? Did they have the standard H pattern?

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...I remember a friend of mine had an old Cedric made by Datsun. It actually had a 4-speed column shifter. The H pattern was essentially what it would be if it was on the floor but I forgot if reverse was pull back and down or pull back and up. Pull back and up would've made it a nightmare to choose first or reverse.
In 2000 while travelling in Costa Rica, I got into a Toyota taxi (I think it was a "Crown" or something) and realized it had a 5-speed manual column shifter. I guess because it freed up more room on the front bench seat. The shift pattern was a double-H, just like all of my cars. The markings on the shift knob faced away from the driver (as if the knob was borrowed from a floor shifter) so he just had to memorize the movements.

Later, in 2017, I realized their city busses had 5-on-the-floor.

About a month ago, Jalopnik posted an article about a Toyota van with a 5-speed column shifter.
Toyota HiAce, 5 on the tree.jpg

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of steering column shifters, I thought they were all automatic. I didn't know they made them manual as well. How did they work? Did they have the standard H pattern?
I was pretty sure they made them in manual first. The shifter would work in an H-pattern, much like a floor shifter.
FY8ABNZILQTGBQZ.jpg

It might have an advantage over a floor shifter if the vehicle had a front bench seat (which was normal, into the '80s) and if you actually wanted people to sit 3 across in the front.

AutoWeek says the last 3-on-the-tree car you could buy in the USA was sold in 1987.
https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/c...-column-shift-manual-car-americans-could-buy/

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake

I'll give alot more credit to many things other than iron sights for the victory over the Axis powers...

Me - "Gee gramps, that Warrior Spirit really did a number on those Nazis, didn't?"

Ole' Iron "War Winning" Sight Gramps - "No little Billy, it had nothing to do with Warrior Spirit, the help from other Allies long before we entered the war, or the inflated confidence of the Germans...nope, it was all about the sights on my Garand."

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll give a lot more credit to many things other than iron sights for the victory over the Axis powers...

Me - "Gee gramps, that Warrior Spirit really did a number on those Nazis, didn't?"

Ole' Iron "War Winning" Sight Gramps - "No little Billy, it had nothing to do with Warrior Spirit, the help from other Allies long before we entered the war, or the inflated confidence of the Germans... nope, it was all about the sights on my Garand."
Oh, yeah, it's great thinking back on those history textbooks that said we ended the war with the atomic bomb, and left out the whole deal with the Russians declaring war on Japan and killing over 1000 Japs an hour for 6 days. I.e. the reason there's a North and South Korea today.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
.... the Russians declaring war on Japan and killing over 1000 Japs an hour for 6 days. I.e. the reason there's a North and South Korea today.
I did not know that. How did Russia play a role in the Korean split?

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not know that. How did Russia play a role in the Korean split?
EDIT: Maybe I should include why half the Japanese military surrendered to the USSR. After we'd helped the Russians for a few years, and we knew Germany was about to collapse, the USSR agreed to declare war and attack Japan within 90 days of Germany's surrender.
They deployed 1.6 million soldiers to their borders with China and Manchuria, and started firing on Japanese positions at 12:01am on the agreed date; August 9th, 1945, which is in American textbooks for another reason...
They kept going for 6 days and occupied all of Manchuria and a big chunk of China.

When the Japanese surrendered, the Allies picked a line of latitude across Asia and said Japanese troops South of the 38th Parallel would surrender to the USA, and Japanese North of the 38th Parallel would surrender to the USSR. That line went straight across the Korean peninsula, about in the middle, and determined which part of Korea was occupied by whom for the next few years.
(It was also a big boost for the pro-communist faction in Northern China.)

So, that's how North Korea ended up with a dictatorship equipped with Russian guns, tanks, and planes, and the brilliant idea to pick a fight with South Korea.

The DMZ dividing Korea still mostly follows that latitude.

Last edited:

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Oh, yeah, it's great thinking back on those history textbooks that said we ended the war with the atomic bomb, and left out the whole deal with the Russians declaring war on Japan and killing over 1000 Japs an hour for 6 days. I.e. the reason there's a North and South Korea today.
Word. You get it 🀘

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
Must be an american thing. So its an american anti theft device-look alike.
Also, i enjoys driving an Auto for comfort, but even my car dealer asked "Do you want to order an Auto or a real one"? :D
Sponsored