Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
TL:DR I expect a new sports car to lose ~50% of it's initial value over 5 years, but I think people buying used GT350's are going to get to experience the same sensation after buying a used car in less time, and I don't want to experience the latter.
I bought a 2017 GT PP1 for $27K a couple years ago and looking online I could probably sell for nearly $35k. I prefer the 2017 over a newer GT due to prices, gearing, port only injection, etc., but I still think most of the market thinks the newer GTs are just fine and many people think the new GTs are better than mine. I think that is an artificial change in values and my GT will go down to mid 20s or lower in value within a few years. I think the same will happen for many cars.

I don't think the GT350s will fall to that low of a value for a long time, but IMO they should fall into the low 40s or so, depending on how much they've been driven. Cars with 30K or more miles (GT350s that were actually used like a car and not stored most of the time) should fall into this category in my opinion.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I agree with you that GR105 did sell for a decent price with that car bringing back quite a few great memories of my first R model which was GR107 and was built just 2 cars after this beautiful R model.

I always have really liked Shadow Black with Black OTT stripes therefore ordered GR107 in August 2015 as a Base R model and within the next year I had a Ford dealership from Seattle call me as he just had to have that car and offered me $80,000 for it and sold it to him after which time I ordered HR019 which was a Ruby Red Base R.

Unfortunately FP lost the owners kit for this car and sold it to the dealership without it and once it arrived many months later I called the dealership to tell them that I finally got the owners kit but they did not want it as they had already flipped the car months earlier.

For 2 years I searched for the new owner of GR107 but could not locate him as I wanted him to have the owners kit, WS, etc. then one day I was watching a live Mecum car auction from Glendale and said to my wife that looks like my old car going across the block.

She said how do you know that was your old car after which time I said how many 2016 Base R's were produced in SB as the TV camera zoomed in on the radio delete plate and new that it was a rare Base R.

Called a friend at Walworth, Wi. (Mecum) the following Monday and gave him the VIN for GR107 and it was a match!

The new owner lived in Phoenix with me living in Florence therefore once he was contacted by Mecum and mentioned that I had the original BOS, WS and GT350R owners kit he could not get over to my place fast enough.

Ended up being a great guy and to say that he was excited to get all the provenance for GR107 was an understatement.

Of course after 2 years of searching for the new owner I had pretty much given up but never say never!

Thanks for sharing!

GR107 - 1.JPG

GR107.JPG

DSC04893 (3).jpg

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Congrats on the twins, I bet they love riding in the Shelby. I have a 3 year old boy and another one cooking due mid April. They are definitely driving my decision to get a Mustang versus some other two seater!

I'm a new physician, so I have a good income but no wealth. Sadly I just started on my 'grown up' job this calendar year, otherwise I would have pounced on a 2020 or a lightly used 2019. As you may have guessed....I strongly disagree with the conclusion that prices will continue to rise on all cars, hah. I do think the low-mileage R cars will continue to do well, even if they do dip a bit. But the bread and butter GT350's I do think are overpriced, as is pretty much every single car in this market. For example, I have offers of $23k, $24k, and $25k from carvana/carmax/vroom on my 2016 MX-5, a car I paid $24k for back in 2017. It only has 14k miles but that's still insane for a car that is in no way shape or form limited. When things settle down, I strongly feel that people paying ~$65k+ for lightly used 2019 GT350s (what I'm looking at) are going to get hosed and experience massive $10k+ depreciation in the span of a year or so. And maybe they are OK with that, but for me, right now, I want to try and build wealth, and losing that would leave a sour taste in my mouth to the point that I might regret the car, which is just silly when I'm buying it for fun.

TL:DR I expect a new sports car to lose ~50% of it's initial value over 5 years, but I think people buying used GT350's are going to get to experience the same sensation after buying a used car in less time, and I don't want to experience the latter.
They will devalue in time. But part of the equation is inflation and rarely does inflation reverse. Bought a top of the line 98 Cobra new, 28 grand. Funny you mentioned the physician thing. Im a medic, my cardiologist drives a Camaro and I gave him a hard time expecting physicians to drive Porsches or Bimmers. He turned to me and said "youll be long dead and Ill still have loans" :)

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
They will devalue in time. But part of the equation is inflation and rarely does inflation reverse. Bought a top of the line 98 Cobra new, 28 grand. Funny you mentioned the physician thing. Im a medic, my cardiologist drives a Camaro and I gave him a hard time expecting physicians to drive Porsches or Bimmers. He turned to me and said "youll be long dead and Ill still have loans" :)
Loans do indeed suck but it’s super variable how much people have; the high end is $500k and the low is 0-$100kish, it just depends on the path you took to get there. I’m sure as a cardiologist they will be paid off soon, and also if you work in a public university for 10 years and are dilligent with paperwork you can get a lot of that forgiven.

In the physician financial world right now there is a huge emphasis/push to develop personal wealth as opposed to the past 20 years, so people are saving/investing more and not purchasing expensive toys. Honestly my car will be an outlier in the physician lot, but I’m buying because I love driving and not as a status symbol.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Try carrying that weight around a track. IMHO, the only reason why someone would want a booster GT350R over a GT500CFTP is a manual transmission.

Boosted 350R’s are only open to a small percentage of people. How many have come across BaT?
You could also argue that all GT350s only appeal to a small number of people.... No matter what you have to find the right buyer for the car. When I saw the Whipple under the hood my interest level went up, not down. We're all different.

The fact is that a bad voodoo will fail with or without FI. And they usually do it early in life.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I get the financial side. I never bought either car with the anticipation or idea to make money. There cars. And were purely wants for me. They’ll be there for my boys when there older. That means a lot more to me then the dollars. Your not wrong on values being up or your assessment for the most part. There up across the board, cars, trucks, equipment, etc. With a new Mach 1 being low 60’s, I paid high 63’s for my loaded 20 350 new, it’s easy to see how the values are what they are. I completely understand being financially responsible, but I don’t have to get a deal on something to enjoy it. The difference on 50k to a 60k car loan over 72 months for example is about a hundred bucks a month. That won‘t affect any professional’s life in my opinion, not in a negligible measure really. And time is one thing no amount of money will bring back. But you have to do whats best for you and your family, no judgements there. Congrats on the new one coming. Holy shxt does it change with two. Lol
Yea, the thing is, I was able to order a 700a Mach 1 (w/o the handling package) for $53k from Granger, and could have gotten it for $52k if I had picked Chapman. For comparison, here is a GT350 I am tempted by:

https://www.brentwoodautobrokers.co...-gt350-coupe-7a5f281f52ce064bb494dcf7215482f8

That's $10k more for a two year older vehicle with 16k miles and wear. Also keeping in mind, if I buy a new vehicle from Ford, I can get an awesome loan on it, whereas for a used car in today's market, not so much (I could afford either out of pocket, but I could also invest that cash). So there is additional cost associated with the loan. And of course I also will have to buy an extended warranty soon, since an out of pocket Voodoo replacement is astronomically expensive.

I'll end with saying that while I'm very likely to stick with my ordered Mach (est. delivery Nov/Dec), I may very well down the line trade it in for a GT350 when prices normalize. Or upgrade to whatever the S650 generation brings. But hopefully I love it and pass it on to my kid as you suggest.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
You could also argue that all GT350s only appeal to a small number of people.... No matter what you have to find the right buyer for the car. When I saw the Whipple under the hood my interest level went up, not down. We're all different.

The fact is that a bad voodoo will fail with or without FI. And they usually do it early in life.
Okay, I’m not really sure what your argument is there but ok.

I assure you, there are many more people wanting a stock GT350R than a GT350R with a whipple.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Okay, I’m not really sure what your argument is there but ok.

I assure you, there are many more people wanting a stock GT350R than a GT350R with a whipple.
My argument is simple; there’re limited buyers for shelbys of any description. The same can be said of any sports car. There may be less buyers for modified versions but they exist.
If I were to list mine right now, in my market, it would currently be the only one with FI… so if the right guy is looking, my car would be the one they’d want.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe