The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t like the black wheels either. I got them off of there as soon as I could but I had to wait until my tires wore down because I did not want to buy new tires while I still had rubber on the ones I got with the car. That’s just me.
Sponsored

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I love black wheels. 🤷‍♂️
My Mustang has them, my F150 has them and my wife's Explorer has them. None of then came with black wheels from the factory, that was all my doing.
I like chrome and polished wheels too. My Rangers OEM wheels were silver, I swapped them for polished wheels. Its dark blue, black wheels dont suit it as well

I dont think black wheels are going anywhere. I mean, they make so many of them for a reason. They sell. Sure some day they may not be as popular as they are today, but they'll still be around. Chrome wheels aren't as popular as they once were and you can still walk into a dealer and leave with a brand new F150 with chrome wheels.

I'm not sure why people get so worked up over them. If you don't like them don't buy them. Its not that difficult

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I like black wheels also. Both my F-150 and Mustang did not come with black wheels from the factory, but they both have them now. Both of them I looked at other color options, but I still chose black, just think that is what looked best with the vehicle color.

Doug

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I bought black rims but because chrome is just wrong and dated on a completely black car!
It's interesting that many with black wheels act as though chrome is the only other choice. Perhaps it was more so when black wheels first came on the scene.

Having said that, it comes down to personal choice just like the color of the car itself. I think black wheels can look great and they would be my choice with colors like race red and grabber blue.

What the wheel looks like in person takes priority for me over pics. Besides, I see a lot of sidewalls several shades lighter than the black wheels, so it's easy to see the contrast. :giggle:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I dont understand how this solid black wheel thing has become so popular. I think black wheels with a silver lip look good, but solid black dont like it. And that is what my 2021 came with as well. I dont like that you cant really make out the tire from the wheel. Yea up close they are ok but it just looks diry. Does anyone agree with me?
IMG_0040.jpg
No. Instead of accepting blanket statements, car setup and color matter. Red wheels are ugly on most things except a few colors, doesnt mean they are all ugly. My wheels are cleaned once a week and have sealant on them, they shine like crazy and never look "dingy". Take care of your car and it always looks good.

I'm generally against black wheels, but my car is transitioning to a black and green only look. Everyone I run into loves it, especially with the new GT350 replica wheels.

Once the chrome GT is gone from the back I will be done except for some gloss black heat extractor replacements for the hood. I even changed out the chrome mustang on the front to a gloss black OEM one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Sponsored

Milktasd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 cobra, 2000 Sonoma LSx, 2021 velocity blue gt
I like black/dark wheels, but I have done it for so long, I’m a little tired of it and want to try something different. Switched to gold wheels on the sn95 and will swap to silver on the velocity blue whenever it gets delivered.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
No. Instead of accepting blanket statements, car setup and color matter. Red wheels are ugly on most things except a few colors, doesnt mean they are all ugly. My wheels are cleaned once a week and have sealant on them, they shine like crazy and never look "dingy". Take care of your car and it always looks good.

I'm generally against black wheels, but my car is transitioning to a black and green only look. Everyone I run into loves it, especially with the new GT350 replica wheels.

Once the chrome GT is gone from the back I will be done except for some gloss black heat extractor replacements for the hood. I even changed out the chrome mustang on the front to a gloss black OEM one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
Black wheels and accents look great with need for green! (Although have to say the dark gray wheels looked good, too.) Here's what I did in place of the GT on the decklid panel (car is white).

20210731_094016-01.jpeg

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I’m 50/50.
As others have said, I think it really depends on the color/car/make/model. I’m 40, and when black wheels first came out (20 years ago?) I was running them on all my 4x4 trail rigs because they were $40.00 each (steelies).
I had brushed silver spoked wheels on cars prior. Then my wife picked up the new Celica in dark blue, and the previous owner had black lightweight wheels, and it looked killer (15 years ago) and that’s when it started for me.
I had black wheels for 10 more years straight, now have kind of transitioned to a mixture of black and anthracite/gray.
**Really think it depends on the car though**

Since we painted/got rid of all the chrome on the Wife’s rig, I think the gloss black wheels tie it all together (we gloss-blacked the trim).
C16F572D-2635-44D7-81EA-714366D6E974.jpeg

On my truck, I didn’t want anything showy or fancy, it’s a truck. So I think black worked great. And it’s matte - so doesn’t show dirt at all, and matches all the matte black trim pieces.
CCDD2622-3096-469B-AD61-6CF7A13B90D7.jpeg

The Lexus in the background has an anthracite color wheel that almost matches the Nebula gray paint color - exactly. I didn’t think black would look good on a Luxury sedan.
The Mustang I plan to run a set of black 20” wheels for the street, and gray 19” wheels for the track.

98FDAD85-ABBF-4D28-9A3C-2FE6B02F9F01.jpeg

I’m not a chrome lover, and think chrome fits the 80’s and lower a lot better. Once color-matched bumpers were introduced, chrome kind of went out the door in my book LOL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Solid Black wheels will fade away!
LoL. Nice play on words. That's exactly what black wheels do. You can't get closer to no wheels at all than black wheels.

Don't get me wrong, if you're annoyed your ride is earth bound or that anything as old as a wheel is not cool, it makes sense to make them as invisible as possible. Less silly is a desire to be as invisible as possible to not draw attention away from the rest of the car.

Mostly just a marketing thing which is fickle and will come and go. And like all the other things we put up with without really much caring one way or another, many people go with the flow or even defend the flow.

Deleted member 35775

i started with hyper-silver wheels and slowly transitioned to black wheels. my transition in pictures are below.

i got rid of the stock black wheels on day 3 of ownership...

GT0.jpg

decided i "really do" like stripes with Graphite colored wheels....

GT1.jpg

i needed some extra horsepower, so i had the Graphite wheels painted gloss black :)

GT2.jpg

next, transitioned to a 350 and had the wheels powder coated black chrome, which (IMO) provides enough wheel-to-tire contrast for me.

GT350.1.jpg

nonetheless, i "do" like black wheels!