Vroom appraisal?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have to sell my GT convertible. I have received a decent price from Vroom. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding their offer? I am a bit concerned they don't pay immediately.
Sponsored

Luckybob2485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was in the same boat a few months ago, and decided against vroom due to their horror stories online from both buyers and sellers. I ended up selling my car to carvana, and it was incredibly easy and they paid me on the spot. I would definitely recommend selling to carvana if the offer is similar to vroom.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Carvana offer isn't close to Vroom, about $6k difference.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Try Carmax, I recently sold my wife's 17 Escape and they gave me by far the most money. Checked all the standard online places and a few local dealers. Carmax was $3,000 above anyone else. 45 minutes in and out when all said and done.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I know someone who recently sold to Vroom without issue. Be 100% honest with the quote and all should be good. If it asks if your car has scratches check it off. However, I have heard stories of people selling their car, 2 days later getting a call saying their inspection didn't match what was given and basically take the lower amount. Cant get your car back either.
If there's a 6k difference I wouldn't trust that.
Honestly I'd never trust any company taking my car and not paying me on the spot. Two to 3 days later? Yea, no.

Carvana is easier and will pay on the spot. Just have to take a check, not direct deposit. Heard horror stories with direct deposit. Carvana is more in line with KBB instant cash offer.
I tried to trade a my wifes F150 with Carvana, but they wouldnt do a positive equity trade. Told me I'd have to sell the truck to them then buy the car out right. Yea and pay all of those taxes? No thanks.

As mentioned Car Max is another option. They tend to be a tad higher then Canvana, but still less than Vroom in most cases.

Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Out of curiosity I checked out CarMax (looks like they finally added an online appraisal!) and they were only 1k under the Vroom offer. If I was selling I would go with them for the lack of headache.

Also be sure to play around with local zipcodes. You could get 1000's of dollars more by using one neighboring one.

Weazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, PP1, Royal Crimson. 2020 Exp ST
I sold my gt to vroom, they never changed on the appraisal. The payment was a little slow due to a weekend and them not getting the bill of lading that was sent 3 times. The pick up was not great, but I would prolly deal with them again.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
However, I have heard stories of people selling their car, 2 days later getting a call saying their inspection didn't match what was given and basically take the lower amount. Cant get your car back either.

Carvana is easier and will pay on the spot. Just have to take a check, not direct deposit. Heard horror stories with direct deposit.
We sold both our DD/RT (bought it off of lease at the end/36 months, made $10K) and my GT convertible (drive it for 2 years, break even) to Carvana, both times it was fast, simple, completely facilitated online. Driver shows up, a couple of sigs on an iPad, done in < 15 minutes.

I was a little leery about Vroom due to how they take the car without the transaction being complete - and, at least in our case, the offers were pretty close to Carvana, so that didn't factor in.

In both cases with Carvana, we used an EFT, and we had the money in our accounts just after midnight. They completed the transfer before they even loaded the cars onto the carrier (which was nice, the entire process was very professional).

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Bought the car last October for $35k out the door (taxes, tags and processing fee included). It has 13,903mi as it sits right now.

2020 GT | 6spd | Black Accent package | 301A

Here are my offers from this past week:
Vroom - $36,900
CarMax - $35,200
Algo - $35,000
KBB - $32,800
Carvana - $32,000
Dealerships - Both said they couldn't touch those numbers and to get all that I can from the online folks

I just finished submitting my info to Vroom.

EDIT: added some more info

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thanks for the responses. I think I will give CarMax a try. Damn, I really don't want to sell but I can't drive it due to intense back pain after 1/2 hour.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I think I will give CarMax a try. Damn, I really don't want to sell but I can't drive it due to intense back pain after 1/2 hour.
I can understand that; I've been dealing with a problem now problems with my left foot. It has me giving serious consideration to getting an auto in the next one.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Carmax offered me 4K lower on my car than vroom.
2020 GT PP2 1800 miles loaded 301a with leather Recaro’s. They offered 35k which is a solid no way.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Carmax offered me 4K lower on my car than vroom.
2020 GT PP2 1800 miles loaded 301a with leather Recaro’s. They offered 35k which is a solid no way.
That's a terrible offer. Location seems to be a key point.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2