The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure this site will be biased but I'm probably getting rid of my GT this week and I need another ride. I just can't get over the crap body shop worl from the previous owners accident.

Anyways prices are high for everything and I was thinking about a same gen whipple GT or spending much more on a c7 z51.

Then I started reading about the Camaro 1LE and it really seems to check mark all the boxes I wanted in a muscle car just like the mustang. I used to have a 2010 SS and it was a fun ride.

Anyone driven the 1LE? The 1LE and whipple GT are the same price
I have driven by one. Sorry, couldn’t help myself. :crackup:
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a nice example.
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/chevrolet-camaro-2019-1G1FE1R72K0113963
I know the previous owner.

Oh, the adjustable headrest of the Mustang is ace. The Camaro one does not tilt, only up and down and so unless you like your shoulder blades detached from the seat, wearing a helmet is a bit annoying. Mustang definitely wins that one.

OP
OP
Chomorro

Chomorro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6SPD Premium PP1
Here's a nice example.
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/chevrolet-camaro-2019-1G1FE1R72K0113963
I know the previous owner.

Oh, the adjustable headrest of the Mustang is ace. The Camaro one does not tilt, only up and down and so unless you like your shoulder blades detached from the seat, wearing a helmet is a bit annoying. Mustang definitely wins that one.
Never thought of that good to know thanks!

Thats a nice 1LE but I'm looking for colors other then red. Once my current stang is picked up I will start the search.

jweggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What is the reliability of the engine in the Camaro versus the coyote?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
same.

You want to talk about DI 'chatter', park a Camaro next to a hard wall with your window down and you'll heart it big time. In the cabin, nada. The Camaro will feel 'breathless' at high RPM compared to the Coyote. Until you get Torrie@Unleashed Tuning to fix that right up. Sure, sure it still can't quite match the urgency of the Coyote at the top but it's damn close enough. I'm hard pressed to pick which engine I like more. Stock, the SS has the much better sound experience IMO. With the Steeda H-pipe and Ford/Borla S-pipes, they are on equal footing.

The Camaro crackles some in Sport, and a lot more in Track. I don't like that so I have trained myself to keep just a smidge of throttle on whenever possible. The Mustang doesn't have that gratuitous sound effect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
nobody knows. You can’t buy a new one in California. :crackup:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Just curious about this small detail (camaro is not an option here, though I also think it looks good), but did you ever try that manoeuvre with the Mustang magneride suspension set to "track"? (Unfortunately that means you have to set the driving mode to track also.)

My daily commute has me going up some semi-twisty roads in the beginning, and both "normal" and "sport" (not sure there's any difference between these as far as suspension is concerned) are kind of like being on a boat, but track is much better and firmer. Wonder if the difference would have beensimilar backing out of your driveway.
I did not try it in track mode - I always backed out/pull in my driveway in normal mode in the GT and "tour" mode in the ZL1. So, for both cars, it's their most comfortable/ least stiff setting.

I also do a lot of curvy road driving. I could tell the difference between sport+ and normal in the GT on bumpy roads. The car would get pretty upset on bumpy twisty roads in sport+ and track so normal was a necessity. On smooth pavement it was harder to tell the difference in the damper firmness between sport+ and normal.

You're correct that the ZL1 can be configured anyway you want: i.e. track exhaust, tour suspension, sport steering, etc., and it will remember that. Or you can set it to "align to mode" and the mode selector will adjust everything for you per the mode selector button.

I keep it in tour for most situations, but exhaust is always in "track". On my GT I avoided sport+ because I hated the throttle mapping in that mode for daily driving.

Another small detail is that the Camaro mode selector can go both ways, whereas in the GT it was one way only, so that if you wanted to go from sport+ back to normal, you had to click through track, drag, snow before getting to normal. The Camaro I can just click up once to get back to tour.

Thank you for all the lengthy replies. My driveway to my garage is a tight left turn over a drainage ditch so my car also rocks while the tire finds footing. Very interesting comparison

I'm not too worried about back seats and passengers. Main thing is fun car, reliable, manual tranny, road trip worthy, has enough tech to have android auto, can take it to some track events and not blow an engine in stock form.

I wish I could afford a zl1 but for now an SS 1LE is in my sights. Sounds like I should check out a newer GT if the tranny etc are a little different.
No problem. Honestly, I loved my GT. It was awesome, until the day I decided to test drive a ZL1 (unfair to the Mustang, I know).

I will also add that the A10 programming in my ZL1 is vastly better than the A10 programming in my GT. It was clunky, jerked in/out of Park/Drive, and was generally not as eager nor as quick to downshift compared to the ZL1. It also hunted for gears a bit more (but not excessive). In manual (paddle) mode it was slow to respond at light throttle input, but quick enough under heavier throttle. At light throttle in manual mode you couldn't shift out of 1st manually until after about 2,200 rpm (it wouldn't even register the 2nd gear selection). Then once it allowed the selection, you would hit the paddle, but not know whether or not it accepted it (having to take your eyes off the road and look at the gauge cluster), then it could take 2 seconds before it finally shifted into 2nd, making it sound like you are light throttle racing everywhere you go. It was annoying so I avoided it at low speeds (mainly most annoying during low speed turns, i.e, from a stop sign).

Also, the SS 1LE and ZL1 have an electronic rear limited slip diff., whereas all the Mustangs the best they get is a torsen diff. (even GT500).

I haven't driven the M6 versions of either car so I can't really compare those.

The Heads up display in the Camaro is a nice feature; I'm still getting used to having it. I use it for speed maybe 20% of the time, and G's regularly, but find myself still looking at the tach for engine rpms. I like how it seems like the display is floating out in front of the car, so it doesn't really mess with your depth perception.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
same.

You want to talk about DI 'chatter', park a Camaro next to a hard wall with your window down and you'll heart it big time. In the cabin, nada. The Camaro will feel 'breathless' at high RPM compared to the Coyote. Until you get Torrie@Unleashed Tuning to fix that right up. Sure, sure it still can't quite match the urgency of the Coyote at the top but it's damn close enough. I'm hard pressed to pick which engine I like more. Stock, the SS has the much better sound experience IMO. With the Steeda H-pipe and Ford/Borla S-pipes, they are on equal footing.

The Camaro crackles some in Sport, and a lot more in Track. I don't like that so I have trained myself to keep just a smidge of throttle on whenever possible. The Mustang doesn't have that gratuitous sound effect.
My ZL1 crackles like crazy, even in tour mode! I am torn on that "feature"....It's pretty loud in track setting. Kinda cool, but draws attention as well.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The ride quality of the 1LE Camaro reminds me of the Focus RS... it is quite harsh and gets annoying. The C7 Vette gets my vote.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
You guys write too much without pictures.

I paid cash for my two cars.
2cars.jpg

I would never buy without knowing what I bought. It's a double win here.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The ride quality of the 1LE Camaro reminds me of the Focus RS... it is quite harsh and gets annoying. The C7 Vette gets my vote.
My ZL1 is only marginally stiffer riding than my GT PP1 with MagneRide. Hardly what I’d call harsh. Maybe you’re thinking of the ZL1 1LE? SS 1LE and ZL1 are Magnetic dampers and ride quite well in their softest setting.

You guys write too much without pictures.

I paid cash for my two cars.
2cars.jpg

I would never buy without knowing what I bought. It's a double win here.
Anyone can look up pics of cars. OP is looking for opinions from those of us that have driven both.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My ZL1 is only marginally stiffer riding than my GT PP1 with MagneRide. Hardly what I’d call harsh. Maybe you’re thinking of the ZL1 1LE? SS 1LE and ZL1 are Magnetic dampers and ride quite well in their softest setting.
I had a 2013 ZL1 for a short time. I didn't think the ride was bad at all, probably nicer than my Mustang. I don't remember what 1LE model I rode in. I just recall I didn't like it.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2013 ZL1 for a short time. I didn't think the ride was bad at all, probably nicer than my Mustang. I don't remember what 1LE model I rode in. I just recall I didn't like it.
The Mustang is #1 in sales while the Dodge (Fiat) is #2. The Camaro is way back to the Toyota level.

I predict that GM with Mary Barra will soon discontinue the Camaro while replacing it with a Tesla-type vehicle. She doesn't care about this thing.

The new Camaro will be all electric and have a 200 mile trip range before a 12 hour recharge.
Sponsored