Sponsored

Ceramic Coating Wheels

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Having just completed this process on a new set of wheels and tires, I thought I would post some information for those who may want to try this themselves. My process for this also involved prepping new tires, which I have also included here. For those who will be doing this to an existing set of wheels, I will also note additional steps needed where appropriate.

First step is to prep the rubber. Fresh, new tires are contaminated with mold release agents and fitment soap. This needs to be removed to provide a clean surface for a tire dressing to bond to. For this step, I used Stoners Tarminator to strip the tires bare. This product is generally used as a heavy tar remover but is excellent for tire prep too. However, many products can be used for this including APC, de-greasers and tire cleaners. The benefit of Tarminator is the ability to do the job without using water. You can see how grotty the tires were in the before pics –

IMG_9598.jpg

Tarminator is best sprayed onto a towel before scrubbing the tires clean. This stuff is extraordinarily strong, both in smell and cleaning power. I would show caution when using this around painted surfaces and remove any residue from over-spray/over-application. As you can see, this will ruin a towel so make sure to choose wisely. These white microfibres are basically single use items so I threw these away after this job.

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

Now for wheel prep. As mentioned earlier, I had the ability to skip a few steps here and go straight to an IPA wipe down. For used wheels, this is where you would be using a wheel cleaner to thoroughly wash the rim, followed by a iron remover and finally a clay bar process. Some wheels may also need to be polished to restore their clarity, my wheels have a matte finish so obviously not suitable here.

For the IPA wipe-down, my product of choice here was the delightful smelling CarPro Eraser. Liberally spray this over the wheel face and barrel before wiping with a towel until it has evaporated away. Then follow up with another application, this time sprayed into a second towel and wiping over the wheel again.

IMG_9630.jpg

Now the wheels are clean and free of oils that may interfere with the ceramic coating bond process. Time for the coating. In my case, I used NV Wheel, however there are a variety of other similar wheel coatings available such as CarPro DLUX and GTECHNIQ C5.

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

Firstly, absolutely make sure to wear Nitrile gloves for this job and apply in a well ventilated space. Open the bottle and apply a generous line of the product to an applicator to prime it. Once primed, a few drops are all that is needed. Working somewhat quickly while showing care to get a even coverage, wipe the applicator over the wheel face and spokes. Allow the product to flash, then start wiping with a low pile microfibre towel. Once leveled, take a second towel, and give a final wipe to ensure you have removed all of the high spots. Flip the wheel and repeat on the barrel and the back of the spokes. And again, repeat the process for the 3 other wheels. Flash times will vary depending on climatic conditions and from product to product. Follow the manufacturers directions and you will be fine. I used the supplied suede applicators but there are a variety of products for this job, although I have found linting issues on microfiber applicators.

IMG_9638.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9649.jpg

During this process, I took the opportunity to clean and then coat the front calipers while I had the wheels off. The rear calipers are nothing to look at so I skipped doing these.

With a bucket suspended under the caliper, I rinsed with water then applied an iron remover. Allowed to dwell for a few minutes, I agitated with a brush then rinsed again with water.

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

Then a wipe down with Eraser and dried using my blower.

IMG_9661.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

Apply the coating using the same method as the wheels, apply with an applicator, level after about a minute then wipe again with a second towel.

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

Wheels now on and torqued to spec, time for tire dressing.

Before –

IMG_9682.jpg

After -

IMG_9686.jpg

All up, I used nearly one 30ml bottle of NV Wheel, several suede applicators and several low pile microfibre towels. It is worth noting that those towels are either destined for the bin or for shop use only. The dried coating in their fibres has rendered them not suitable for painted surfaces again. At a couple of dollars per towel, I'm not worried about this. Also be mindful to follow the cure times to ensure optimum durability and results.

IMG_9697.jpg

The finished result, the wheels are now protected and will be easier clean in the future.

IMG_9704.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After cleaning up my original wheels, I thought I would add this in here to document the decontamination process that I omitted in my opening post.

This process is best completed with the wheels off the car for a more complete clean and easier working.

IMG_9805.jpg

Starting off, clean the wheel as normal. This is one of the rare occasions I use a wheel cleaner on my own cars. These wheels were coated in CarPro Hydr02 and I wanted these things stripped bare. Brake Buster un-diluted has that ability. Starting with the tires followed by the rims. Being regularly maintained, you will note a lack of brown color change on the tires.

IMG_9806.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9794.jpg

I then followed this up with an iron remover. Again, note the lack of color change due to the previous coating and regular cleaning inhibiting iron build up. It's at this point I will note that a product like this will NOT degrade a ceramic based coating, hense the use of the high-alkaline Brake Buster first.

IMG_9795.jpg

I then flipped the wheel and repeated the process. Note here the strong color change on the un-maintained rear sidewall.

IMG_9799.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

This is the easiest and least time consuming wash of these barrels EVER! :like:

IMG_9802.jpg

I then used a clay bar and some quick detailer on both the wheel face and barrel. The face and spokes were rather clean, the barrels did have some pick-up.

IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

Blown dry, it was time for some polish. I didn't chase perfection here, if they were going back on my car I would have though. The goal was to restore some clarity and shine. With caliper clearance on these cars making brush choice limited, washing these wheels safely has been a challenge. With a gloss black finish, there was always going to be some wash induced marring.

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

The barrel was easy enough, using my 3 inch machine. The wheel face and spokes were a bit more challenging. Using my iBrid Nano in rotary mode, I managed to get a decent amount of coverage despite the space limitations. If you are on the fence regarding one of these polishers, just get one, they are AWESOME!

At this point, you would then proceed to the tire prep and IPA wipe down process. For these wheels, I gave them a quick wipe with Eraser then coated them in Bead Maker for some extra gloss and some protection.

IMG_9830.jpg

And thus concludes my long and painful love-hate affair with S550 Mustang PP1 wheels. 🎉🎉🎉

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Killer post, D as always! Wheels looks SUPERB even if they're not going back on. :cool:

Meanwhile, do you remember where you picked up that tire stand? Secondly, does it have a brake to hold it still?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Killer post, D as always! Wheels looks SUPERB even if they're not going back on. :cool:

Meanwhile, do you remember where you picked up that tire stand? Secondly, does it have a brake to hold it still?
Those wheel stands are hard to come by in this part of the world. Mine is a Maxshine unit, no brake for this one but having used it a fair bit now, its not really needed. The weight of the wheel and tire is enough to hold it steady as you work. Available here in the USA -
https://www.maxshinecarcare.com/ourstore/p/product/maxshine-wheel-tire-detailing-stand?rq=wheel

IMG_9485.jpg

If I lived in the US, I would be getting one from The Source Garage. These are probably the best available and can be customized to your liking. This is the one Matt Moreman uses.

https://thesourcegarage.com/

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Awesome write up, thanks for sharing. Now let’s see the truck!
Thanks for the kind words, doing this sort of thing and writing about it such a pleasant distraction from all that troubles me.

My truck/ute? Well, it made the ideal work platform this job. It's day job however is carrying tools and equipment.

IMG-E1606.jpg

IMG-2155.jpg

ap83.jpg

ap86.jpg

I basically live in this thing, it helps pay for the passion. It is supposed to be my daily / beater but it gets it's fair share of detailing action too, probably too much! :giggle:

DSC-0333.jpg

gx3.jpg