Sponsored

Engine is done/seized - 2019 Bullitt

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
2019 model, the car has 20,000 Km (12,000 miles), serviced at 15,000 Km (9,000 miles), next service was due in another 10,000 Km (6,000 miles).
Was driving on a fast road, so not so high speed but mid-high rpm during the overtakes.
It was driving normal, no performance issues or temperatures concerns, suddenly I started to hear a metallic rubbing sound, I only noticed it because I had road panels on a side, so that noise was reflected back to me (window down), it was like a piece of metal vibrating.
The noise intensified pretty quickly, I reduced the speed and started to drive slow to figure what was going on, the noise transformed in a wrecked dwell pump type sound (can't really describing it, but was pretty indicator that something bad was happening).
At that point the orange engine light turned on and lost all the power, I could manage to drive slow in 5th gear to find a place to stop the car at the side of the road, trying to press the clutch (to change the gear) would stall the engine, to the point it shut down and showing a "low oil pressure" warning on the display, releasing the clutch would turn it back on.
Then I managed to park, the car never come back alive (trying to press the START button won't engage the starter, it does just a "click").
They kept it and transferred to the Ford dealer via truck. They will give to me some more details today or in the upcoming day.

I don't know what happened, but for the scary sound I heard coming from the engine, I'm almost sure that it was the sound of a cylinder (or more than one) f*ed up. Had no oil leak, water was in the low zone of the tank but OK, the engine bay smelled a little "burned" but no smoke or anything that was a clear indicator of anything out of ordinary.

And this the story of my Bullitt. I never heard of a Bullitt had a similar experience (while for the GT350 seems to have happened because of faulty valves in same cases). Will keep ya updated, if any of you have heard about a similar happening, lemme know, I'm curious.

UPDATE: engine is done and will be changed (see the other posts)
Sponsored

Last edited:

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
It sounds like your big end bearings have gone and your engine has siezed probably due to oil stavation sadly

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
It sounds like your big end bearings have gone and your engine has siezed probably due to oil stavation sadly
Think so... how it would happens? Apparently there was no oil leak, oil pump fail?

Hammerdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 Screw 4x4
Damn. That sucks. Agreed sounds like bearing failure. Engine is done. Good thing she's under warranty. As for cause.... who knows. Pump or obstruction or maybe you just got a 5.0 built on a Monday morning before tech had coffee.

Keep us updated.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
At this point doesn't matter but when was the last time you had checked your oil?
Because the oil change intervals are so large, the chance of burning enough oil to hurt the engine is real. i had to add around 2 qts to my raptor in between oil changes. Driving the car hard could further the consumption as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
At this point doesn't matter but when was the last time you had checked your oil?
Because the oil change intervals are so large, the chance of burning enough oil to hurt the engine is real. i had to add around 2 qts to my raptor in between oil changes. Driving the car hard could further the consumption as well.
At last service, so around 3,000 miles before. Also at the last service the oil level was OK (and I used it pretty the same driving style), so I don't think about an unusual oil consuption.
Before leaving the shop, there was two mechanics doing a preliminary inspection, they really did nothing, but I noticed they were checking the liquids for first and if I'm not wrong (i can't bet on it, as it was late and I had to leave) the oil level was OK... that is the reason of why I'm thinking about an oil pump failure, or something else that couldn't have been avoided.
The things have happened in a time frame of two minutes, while the car was going perfect, if it was about low oil level, maybe I would have some warns before (or not).
However the shop didn't come back to me today... :( so I have to wait another day for more info.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@npole, sorry to hear about your situation. I’ve been in this predicament a few times with high performance toys. If there are lots of copper flakes in the oil, that will also support what’s been said above. I spun a bearing in my drag bike on a 1/4 mile pass and there was a loud tapping noise that came about very quickly. I knew it was something catastrophic. The next day on tear down, there it was; it looked like someone had dumped a bottle of glitter in my oil.

I hope the dealer gets you taken care of in a timely manner and to your satisfaction.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
At last service, so around 3,000 miles before. Also at the last service the oil level was OK (and I used it pretty the same driving style), so I don't think about an unusual oil consuption.
Before leaving the shop, there was two mechanics doing a preliminary inspection, they really did nothing, but I noticed they were checking the liquids for first and if I'm not wrong (i can't bet on it, as it was late and I had to leave) the oil level was OK... that is the reason of why I'm thinking about an oil pump failure, or something else that couldn't have been avoided.
The things have happened in a time frame of two minutes, while the car was going perfect, if it was about low oil level, maybe I would have some warns before (or not).
However the shop didn't come back to me today... :( so I have to wait another day for more info.
Sorry to hear that, regardless you get a brand new engine out of the deal!

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Update

Got a call from the dealer. They did a preliminary inspection.. and my guessing was wrong.
Not the OPG, but a piston cracked (!), they have inspected the cylinders using a video probe, there's a "hole" in one piston (Cylinder n.6).
No oil leak or unusual consumption, the oil is there but mixed with coolant, and debris from the broken piston.

They confronted with Ford, and they have asked to open the engine (the head) to proceed further, this is unusual for me, and the dealer have confirmed that it is unusual even for them (to open this engine), but that's what Ford have asked and what they will do.

The dealer have anticipated to me that the outcome (as expected) will be a new engine, so I don't know why they are "wasting" time in further inspections, but that's what Ford have asked to do.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe Ford is trying to see If this somehow relates to, say the GT350 engine failures, although the best way to go about that would be to have the engineers do the teardown themselves. Another possibility is, they want to see if it’ll be cheaper to have the technicians rebuild the engine themselves (if possible) instead of ordering a new engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Considering the infernal noise that come out from the engine, I would be very worried to accept a rebuild in place, since probably the consequences of that broke piston extended to who know how many other parts.
We'll see in the upcoming days... very unfortunately as they have just lift (partially) the lockdown here (Covid), and I'm missing my Mustang already... well, time to hop back on my bike I believe.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Considering the infernal noise that come out from the engine, I would be very worried to accept a rebuild in place, since probably the consequences of that broke piston extended to who know how many other parts.
We'll see in the upcoming days... very unfortunately as they have just lift (partially) the lockdown here (Covid), and I'm missing my Mustang already... well, time to hop back on my bike I believe.
Will you please ask the dealership to take photos of the damage and email them to you for your own records and then post them here? I looked around a bit and haven’t heard of such a failure on a 2019 - 2020 Bullitt either. Was the engine modified at all? It makes us all cringe to hear about this though, especially those of us who have modified their engines.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
It is a pretty "serious" dealer and I smell they won't give me any picture to not get in trouble with Ford, maybe by going there face to face I can do something (but it's 50Km away from my home).
Will try with the next call, or eventually after all it's settled (coz they have to take the pictures for Ford.. so they will "exist").

(No, I have no "modification", the car is stock)

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It is a pretty "serious" dealer and I smell they won't give me any picture to not get in trouble with Ford, maybe by going there face to face I can do something (but it's 50Km away from my home).
Will try with the next call, or eventually after all it's settled (coz they have to take the pictures for Ford.. so they will "exist").

And they are right in keeping things on the down-low. To many turncoats and facebookers creates this kind of atmosphere..

I think you're in the right place at the right time. Loose some driving time, get a new block.... worth every penny not spent.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Sorry this happened. Please keep us updated as things progress.
Sponsored