Engine skips a beat at startup

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Hi all. I’ve had this strange issue, which may just be normal, since I’ve owned the car.

When the car is started first thing in the morning, after about 10 seconds it’ll “skip a beat” before it goes back into rhythm. Do any of you have this as well? I wish I had a better way of describing it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Skips like the idle drops?
Or
Skips like a missfire?
If it's the idle look into the "evap purge valve".
If it's a misfire then you may have a dtc stored.

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Skips like the idle drops?
Or
Skips like a missfire?
If it's the idle look into the "evap purge valve".
If it's a misfire then you may have a dtc stored.
Good question. What would a misfire look like?

For a split second the idle seems to drop.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ur under warranty.. bring it in.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you can get a video of it and post it we might be of more use. Dealer is a good idea...if they can replicate it. Always good to have video in that case as well in case they give you the typical, "We didnt find anything".

OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
If you can get a video of it and post it we might be of more use. Dealer is a good idea...if they can replicate it. Always good to have video in that case as well in case they give you the typical, "We didnt find anything".
Good suggestion, I’ll do that tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Taking it to a dealer now would be a waste of time, and possibly get a scuff, scratch, dent, etc., as a souvenir :). If it's anything problematic, you'd get a CEL, and THAT would be the time to take it in. It's perfectly normal to have a misfire or two on cold starts, and that's why you don't get a CEL when it's just a small amount within 'x' amount of time. My engine also shakes a little when cold, as well as most other vehicles I've owned, so nothing to worry about.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Taking it to a dealer now would be a waste of time, and possibly get a scuff, scratch, dent, etc., as a souvenir :). If it's anything problematic, you'd get a CEL, and THAT would be the time to take it in. It's perfectly normal to have a misfire or two on cold starts, and that's why you don't get a CEL when it's just a small amount within 'x' amount of time. My engine also shakes a little when cold, as well as most other vehicles I've owned, so nothing to worry about.
You do have a point too. It is a very reproducible issue that happens every time, just once, when the car is completely cold At the 10-15 second mark post start-up. Maybe it’s calibrating the air fuel mixture at startup; but then why only when it’s cold and not at every start-up mid-day?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Fuel is harder to atomize when engine is cold. Bottom line is if you have no CEL, your engine does NOT have any issues that need service right now; it's as simple as that. Stop worrying about irrelevant things :D. Would you really want a dealer tearing into your engine for something as stupid as that, and have the same 'problem' after that? Didn't think so :). Again, my engine also vibrates when cold, and more than yours, so it's normal.

cipherzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 A10 PP1 GT
Just wanted to add I have the same "issue" as well. Its reproducible 100% of the time on first cold start of the day.
Sponsored