Ford Dealers are Terrible

NorthernProducer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOHN
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, 2019 F150 Lariat, 2020 CT5, 2019 C7
For many years, I (and others in my family) had been buying our Ford cars and trucks from the same family owned dealership. After 3 generations of ownership, the last family member involved in the dealership decided to sell it. You probably guessed it...he sold to a multiline, multi-state company that gutted the dealer staff, including most of the tech's. The service department then went to hell. They've had several service managers and service writers that have no clue how to treat a customer. I've had simple oil changes delivered with leaking oil filters, greasy finger prints on paint/seats and warranty work that has gone incomplete or never even attempted. I don't want to get into all the detail in this thread, but the end result is that I won't be buying any more Fords from that dealer. Ironically, down the road from the Ford dealer is our Chevy/Cadillac dealer that has a great service department. I even trust them to service my C7 Vette. Note, they are family owned and want to protect their reputation by providing honest and reliable service. So, great service is possible if the dealership chooses to provide it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, Volkswagen dealers are very good, Audi included in that VW group, and the service department is a ghost town in regards to the amount of cars being serviced..
That’s how it should be. Don’t need people sitting around in there.

—> I visited another Ford dealer today had a great experience talking to the advisor. He’s a car guy and drives a Hellcat actually, spent a good 30 minutes bullshitting about our cars. I told him I had a Dodge before. He said bring it the following Saturday and he can have it diagnosed and he will write up my paint issues for the claim. Said if I needed a car he would take care of that too. Happy so far and will continue to work with him.

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
This thread makes me feel lucky I've had mostly positive experiences with my dealer. They're a Roush dealer, so the techs aren't as likely to hot rod mine when they have blown Mustangs and F-150s coming through all day. Courtesy shuttle to drop you off and pick you up anywhere in town. They'll try to get you in a courtesy car if it's staying overnight. When they replaced my hood for corrosion they paid for a rental car. The only downside is people who live in other towns and work here will buy the cars in their town and then service it here, which creates a backlog. The salesmen and service advisors would rather give priority to people who bought from the dealer, but whether it's a corporate rule or the GM's rule, they can't.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to add my 2cents as well. Ford dealer service departments blow. Luckily, I have never had to take my Mustang to a dealer service department since purchasing because I voided the warranty instantly by installing the supercharger days into ownership.

But... in January, I replaced my old Superduty with a 2020 F350 Superduty. This truck has had a few very minor and one safety issue, all warranty. Every item has required at least 3 trips back to the service department, for EACH issue. I feel like most of the miles on the truck now are back and forth to the dealership. It is getting silly now. The service advisor is a nice woman but say her hands are tied the issues lie with the tech, shop foreman, service manager and Ford. We are down to one issue, the safety issue and it is starting to really piss me off. With that issue. There were parts the service manager said were backordered for the last 2 months. I called Monday to raise a stink and the response was, oh your parts are here, the part s department never told us.... Took truck in yesterday.... and... wrong parts....

So to that I say, Lake Elsinore Ford, you suck!!

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
This thread makes me feel lucky I've had mostly positive experiences with my dealer. They're a Roush dealer, so the techs aren't as likely to hot rod mine when they have blown Mustangs and F-150s coming through all day. Courtesy shuttle to drop you off and pick you up anywhere in town. They'll try to get you in a courtesy car if it's staying overnight. When they replaced my hood for corrosion they paid for a rental car. The only downside is people who live in other towns and work here will buy the cars in their town and then service it here, which creates a backlog. The salesmen and service advisors would rather give priority to people who bought from the dealer, but whether it's a corporate rule or the GM's rule, they can't.

You had to have a new hood ordered and replaced?

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I have honestly thought of dumping it and getting a luxury brand... between the build quality and the horrible customer service... I can’t
Well, I was really close to buying a used Lexus RC-F. But you may want to call your local Lexus dealer and ask them what a brake job costs. There are reasons why the service depts treat you better, because you'll have two car payments if you want close to the performance level of the Mustang GT. One for the car and one for brakes and tires...

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well, I was really close to buying a used Lexus RC-F. But you may want to call your local Lexus dealer and ask them what a brake job costs. There are reasons why the service depts treat you better, because you'll have two car payments if you want close to the performance level of the Mustang GT. One for the car and one for brakes and tires...
I mean I’m sure you could buy a maintence package or just have the brakes done somewhere else... I go to the dealer only for warranty work.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
For many years, I (and others in my family) had been buying our Ford cars and trucks from the same family owned dealership. After 3 generations of ownership, the last family member involved in the dealership decided to sell it. You probably guessed it...he sold to a multiline, multi-state company that gutted the dealer staff, including most of the tech's. The service department then went to hell. They've had several service managers and service writers that have no clue how to treat a customer. I've had simple oil changes delivered with leaking oil filters, greasy finger prints on paint/seats and warranty work that has gone incomplete or never even attempted. I don't want to get into all the detail in this thread, but the end result is that I won't be buying any more Fords from that dealer. Ironically, down the road from the Ford dealer is our Chevy/Cadillac dealer that has a great service department. I even trust them to service my C7 Vette. Note, they are family owned and want to protect their reputation by providing honest and reliable service. So, great service is possible if the dealership chooses to provide it.
I can equate. Luckily I am blessed. The service department at Classic Chevy in Grapevine is excellent, as is the small town dealer where my family buys their Ford products. Until and unless GM puts a manual in the C8, I'm done as a Corvette owner. Kind of sad as I've two from each gen.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Appointments are to just meet w/an advisor, work is a week or 2 out, oh and they want to take the car now, have it sit and not give you a loaner or another piece of transportation! Makes no sense to me!!
Yeah,....I keep hearing of people leaving their cars with the dealerships for days or even weeks. HELL NAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! lol
What is the point in that? Why bother making an appointment then? lol That makes no sense to me at all.

Can someone that works at a dealership please explain why leave the car for days or weeks before even working on it? :crazy: :crazy::thumbsdown:

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I mean I’m sure you could buy a maintence package or just have the brakes done somewhere else... I go to the dealer only for warranty work.
https://www.amazon.com/LEXUS-FACTORY-FRONT-BRAKE-2015-2018/dp/B078NBX5T2

I did the research. Above is an example. JUST front OEM rotors and pads are 865.00. Doing the brake job yourself on an RC-F is not a cake walk either. They have sensor wires that sets off an alert if the pads get too low. Labor is going to be expensive so hit the plus button, and you don't want just any brake place doing them IMHO. Something about the rotors make them prone to cracking with the force of the brakes which are very good. Most Lexus dealerships want to replace the rotors with every pad replacement. I mean, you can always say no, and sure that's why they call them stealerships, but it is indeed "a thing" with these cars. Rotors are slotted two piece, which not just any place can successfully resurface without the right equipment.

You probably can buy a maintenance plan if you are buying the car new. But if that's the case you are coming with 75+K and 2K brake jobs probably aren't a big deal anyway. That was not my position. I was looking at 2015-16's with 40-50K miles for 35-37K. Got my 2018 Roush a couple weeks ago with 5,500 miles on it for 39,500 and I won't need a second job to pay for the maintenance. Just sayin... I've been driving Acura/Infiniti's since 98. I've been very happy with the reliability. I guess you could call them "luxury brands." I know the Ford dealership is probably not going to be like an Infiniti dealership. But they sort of lost their way with their latest generation of performance cars even the 400hp Q60 Red Sport. The Japanese can still make top notch performance cars. RC-F, LC500, Supra, NSX and GTR, but open that wallet bro. Or go used and they will hold up great, but maintenance WILL be expensive.

Other lux brands... BMW crap reliability. Audi crap reliability. Jag crap reliability all with super expensive maintenance which makes buying out of warranty a suicide move. Cadillac? Meh... lots of complaints there too. The ATS-V Coupe was on my radar but I just couldn't do it with the putrid dash and speedo out of the 80s GM parts bin. Maybe I'm missing a luxury brand that is a better option for a Mustang GT owner that wants that level of performance with a Tier 1 service experience that won't cost an arm and a leg. But I am a car guy that searched far and wide for the sweet spot and devoted a ton of time, leaving no stones unturned. Good luck for sure and I hope you get what you are looking for out there. Everything is a compromise and there is no perfect scenario I'm afraid. One thing I can guarantee you of, there is no such thing as a reasonable RC-F brake job! You will pay for that luxury brand.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
https://www.amazon.com/LEXUS-FACTORY-FRONT-BRAKE-2015-2018/dp/B078NBX5T2

I did the research. Above is an example. JUST front OEM rotors and pads are 865.00. Doing the brake job yourself on an RC-F is not a cake walk either. They have sensor wires that sets off an alert if the pads get too low. Labor is going to be expensive so hit the plus button, and you don't want just any brake place doing them IMHO. Something about the rotors make them prone to cracking with the force of the brakes which are very good. Most Lexus dealerships want to replace the rotors with every pad replacement. I mean, you can always say no, and sure that's why they call them stealerships, but it is indeed "a thing" with these cars. Rotors are slotted two piece, which not just any place can successfully resurface without the right equipment.

You probably can buy a maintenance plan if you are buying the car new. But if that's the case you are coming with 75+K and 2K brake jobs probably aren't a big deal anyway. That was not my position. I was looking at 2015-16's with 40-50K miles for 35-37K. Got my 2018 Roush a couple weeks ago with 5,500 miles on it for 39,500 and I won't need a second job to pay for the maintenance. Just sayin... I've been driving Acura/Infiniti's since 98. I've been very happy with the reliability. I guess you could call them "luxury brands." I know the Ford dealership is probably not going to be like an Infiniti dealership. But they sort of lost their way with their latest generation of performance cars even the 400hp Q60 Red Sport. The Japanese can still make top notch performance cars. RC-F, LC500, Supra, NSX and GTR, but open that wallet bro. Or go used and they will hold up great, but maintenance WILL be expensive.

Other lux brands... BMW crap reliability. Audi crap reliability. Jag crap reliability all with super expensive maintenance which makes buying out of warranty a suicide move. Cadillac? Meh... lots of complaints there too. The ATS-V Coupe was on my radar but I just couldn't do it with the putrid dash and speedo out of the 80s GM parts bin. Maybe I'm missing a luxury brand that is a better option for a Mustang GT owner that wants that level of performance with a Tier 1 service experience that won't cost an arm and a leg. But I am a car guy that searched far and wide for the sweet spot and devoted a ton of time, leaving no stones unturned. Good luck for sure and I hope you get what you are looking for out there. Everything is a compromise and there is no perfect scenario I'm afraid. One thing I can guarantee you of, there is no such thing as a reasonable RC-F brake job! You will pay for that luxury brand.

Where’d you find a Roush for 40k and 5500 miles? How’d you locate that?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Where’d you find a Roush for 40k and 5500 miles? How’d you locate that?
Dealership in Louisville. Found it on Cars.com. The seas parted...

Last edited:

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Most things with the service side of a dealer i can deal with its the sales side i would set on fire and burn if I could. But I have to agree nothing steams me more then I call and I say hey I have a broken lumber it hasnt worked since i got the car. it makes a bunch of cracking noises and it does not work. They say ok bring it in at 9 AM i say ok is this an appointment? They say yes. I go in at 9 AM and wait. then about 10 am they get to my car. an appointment is an appointment if you cant get to the car at 9 why are you telling me to be there then? Anyway then they take it back and come back and go yup its broke. IM like ok duh I know that thats why I called. well bring it back next week and we can fix it. ok so i just took off from work so you could tell me what I already know? to then make yet another appoint ill have to take off from work for so you can start work on the car 4 hours late and waste 2 days of my time. by time its done it cost me 2 days work and all in about 400 bucks in lost time gas and running to get a 20 dollar part fixed for free under warranty. its cheaper and faster to just get the part myself and do it at home. with all that said I mean I get it but dang there has to be an easier way.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Most things with the service side of a dealer i can deal with its the sales side i would set on fire and burn if I could. But I have to agree nothing steams me more then I call and I say hey I have a broken lumber it hasnt worked since i got the car. it makes a bunch of cracking noises and it does not work. They say ok bring it in at 9 AM i say ok is this an appointment? They say yes. I go in at 9 AM and wait. then about 10 am they get to my car. an appointment is an appointment if you cant get to the car at 9 why are you telling me to be there then? Anyway then they take it back and come back and go yup its broke. IM like ok duh I know that thats why I called. well bring it back next week and we can fix it. ok so i just took off from work so you could tell me what I already know? to then make yet another appoint ill have to take off from work for so you can start work on the car 4 hours late and waste 2 days of my time. by time its done it cost me 2 days work and all in about 400 bucks in lost time gas and running to get a 20 dollar part fixed for free under warranty. its cheaper and faster to just get the part myself and do it at home. with all that said I mean I get it but dang there has to be an easier way.
they sound like they are straight full of shit for that there.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's what really hurt about leaving BMW. Even had a loaner for an oil change if I didn't feel like waiting.

Whatever you do, get a decent dashcam.

I caught a local Ford dealer committing fraud. They said they put my car up on a lift and checked all these issues, blah, blah, blah. I get home and my dash cam video tells a completely different story. All they did was drive it around the block, never once had it on a lift, didn't inspect a single thing on it, other than a test drive. Of course they invoice Ford they put in on a lift, blah, blah, blah. That's fraud. I called up Ford corporate and complained; they don't give a shit, to put it bluntly.
You should have one regardless in this day and age, although no guarantee the tech won't just unplug it so he can hoon your shit without you knowing.

Yep, this type of shit is why I fix things myself unless the part is obscenely expensive or the amount of required labor is high. Just not worth the hassle.
Sponsored