Sponsored

Front bumper letters install

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
I purchased white letter decal inlays for the “GT500” in the bumper, but have no application instructions.

Has anyone applied these to their bumper?
Any advice?

Thx
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Doc: I haven't seen a set so far but if they're like most everything else in the genre, they'll have peel off adhesive backs.

If that's the case, just clean the area well with detergent then, finish up with a good alcohol wipe.

Finally, with a folded paper towel, push them all in multiple times to set the adhesive.

That should duit.

That said, my first set of "SHELBY" letters "blew off" somewhere above 55 <smiling> and the supplier replaced them. I don't know if you want to go to this length and you may not need to on a vertical surface but..

@marklboris used clear, silicone to "stick" his "SHELBY" letters and I took his lead on the second set. So far, they're holding and I don't expect them to come off, they're set. If you go this route, you don't want to do the final "press 'em in" routine as you'll squish out the silicone. Also, if you go this route, don't drive the car for 24.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased white letter decal inlays for the “GT500” in the bumper, but have no application instructions.

Has anyone applied these to their bumper?
Any advice?

Thx
Use alcohol wipes or 70% with a clean rag to wipe the bumper insert clean.

I then like to use 3M adhesive promoter wipes, but this is not completely necessary.

I use a pair of tweezers to hold the very edge of the decal to help me with the proper alignment, then push the decal into place with my other hand.

When placing the decal, just let it lightly stick, incase you need to pull it off and have a second go aligning it.

I think some people use dish soap & water mix in a spray bottle to wet the area, and wet the sticky side of the decal so they can slide it into place, then squeegee the water out.

Just take your time, you will be good to go.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 9.33.14 AM.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Jaime: With things like stick-on letters, you would not want to use any liquid. Wax-free and an alcohol wipe is the best bet but after my experience, if I were Doc, I'd use Mark's silicone eye deer to make sure they stick.

The adhesive on these is not as strong as on adhesive vinyl.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime: With things like stick-on letters, you would not want to use any liquid. Wax-free and an alcohol wipe is the best bet but after my experience, if I were Doc, I'd use Mark's silicone eye deer to make sure they stick.

The adhesive on these is not as strong as on adhesive vinyl.
I never use the soapy water approach, I just know some do.

Honestly, I do not think the silicone is needed. I would however use the adhesive promoter, it really makes the difference when the glue is suspect.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to chime in here. The silicone method that I used was on the SHELBY domed letters on the front splitter. It is because, like Kent, mine would not stick on the rough plastic of the splitter and after several washes they blew off.

DocGT is talking about the GT500 stickers for the front bumper and I DID use the wet method. At first I tried to stick them on dry and what a pain that was. I went through two sets and never got them on correctly. After meeting with Terrance to pick up my rotors, I saw his perfectly fit GT500 sticker plus his colorized cobra emblems and he told me to used the wet method because it was much easier. It is basically like window tinting. The side of the tint film that is sticky gets wetted down and so does the window and you apply the tint so that it matches the window perfectly then squeegee the excess water out. The adhesive on the tint film will still stick to the window when dry and same goes for the GT500 sticker on the bumper.

I want to say, while I know they can be installed using the dry method, I guess I did not have the patience to do it that way and I actually do have a lot of patience but not for this. My hands do not work like they use to and I have arthritis so the wet method just was easier.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I have always used the wet method for these sort of applications. I have a small spray bottle full of 70% alcohol. Use it to clean the surface first; then wet the surface and the sticky side. Use a microfiber towel to press into place and dry.
Haven’t lost anything yet!
E4F49B68-D812-456A-833D-1D075C683C2C.jpeg
75EBF142-2299-474F-9311-44303A83335A.jpeg

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Using liquid to lube is always helpful with "stickers" Mark and I'm sorry it took you so many attempts but I hear ya on the old hands and eyes.

But you definitely have to give it 24 in the air or lightly hit them with a hair dryer/heat gun before driving.

And it is just like tint which is just like adhesive vinyl, which is just like PPF. <grin> All the same concept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DocGT

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Thank you all for the great commentary. This certainly helps me out. Love being part of this community!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Who sells the 500 inlays? Bremaro doesn't return calls or emails

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
No offense to those who like the looks of the highlighted "GT 500" on the bumper, different strokes but, I like the "blackness" of the gaping mouth. :-)

And I STILL need to do the Mark paint job trick on that right side heat exchanger.

upload_2020-7-11_20-49-36.png

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No offense to those who like the looks of the highlighted "GT 500" on the bumper, different strokes but, I like the "blackness" of the gaping mouth. :-)

And I STILL need to do the Mark paint job trick on that right side heat exchanger.

upload_2020-7-11_20-49-36.png

Ditto, minus painting the heat exchangers.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No guts, no Air Medals, Jefe. :-)
I just meant I am not going to paint them, not how he painted them. Taking the bumper cover off on this car is easier than the other S550 cars. When I was playing around with the inner splash shields, I noticed the previously hard to get at bolts, that hold the bumper cover to the fender, are much easier to get to. The bumper cover can be off in 10 minutes. Thats how I would get to the heat exchangers.
Sponsored