Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a stock 18 yesterday this will look like a beast in comparison :D and not only looks it will have the driving capabilties to back it up.
My 18GT with magneride, GT350 springs and wider tires fel sloppy on the street even time to time.

Agreed that it could be easily solved with aftermarket parts but that is a different topic.Not everyone has the knowledge/time etc to cater for aftermarket parts.

With this car it will hopefully be priced reasonably and have similar characteristics to a SS 1/2LE, Cayman, M3/M4 etc from a driving dynamics perspective as you roll it out of the dealer floor

One thing though those cup 2s are deceiving as the provide so much grip(on track) compared to a regular street tire. Much of the time cut on a lap comparing e.g. PP2 to a standard PP1 has to do with the tires.
I would love to see (maybe already posted) differences in laps between a PP1 and PP2 with lets say 275/305 section Pilot Sport 4S tires and then the same comparison with the Mach 1 once available.
I know the cars might be setup to go with a specific tire but anyway. What the Mach 1 will bring is that you can go at it for a longer period of time and also hopefully that aero will help on faster tracks. Not sure how good or bad the e.g. the PP2 aero is but a 50% increase is a bit comparing it to a Mach 1.

But again that front-end and rear-end just from a visual perspective will be something special IRL I belive
Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Thank you for making my point. The Mach 1 is more than a GT, a PP1, PP2, or a Bullitt. It can and should stand on its own.
And that is why it should have had a naturally aspirated version of the Predator, the CJ intake on that would have been gravy. To stand above any other GT or variant thereof.

It just doesn't move the needle enough for me otherwise. I've already got a PP1 GT with suspension work that's immaculate with low miles, and I've held the pink slip for several years now. On a good day, I might get $25K for it on trade, and what's there with the Mach isn't worth another $25-30K on top to me. Not seeing it. Sorry kids, they did it right back in '03-'04 with an engine special to the nameplate, not so much this time.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would like to see the same test but with the same tires on both cars. As I understood from the article the cars were on different tires?
Yeah. they were comparing what comes stock. From what I understand about the Sport 4S and Cup 2 tires, they offer nearly exactly the same amount of forward grip. I do not recall where I saw it, whether it was an article or youtube. The only real difference can be only seen in lateral G force. Cup 2 has more. In a straight line, it is Grannysmith to Red Delicious ! Apples to apples comparison. For some it is sour while others, it is sweet!

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
"it is Grannysmith to Red Delicious ! Apples to apples comparison" hehehe :p

Not sure if you tracked your PP2, the Cup 2s when in optimal temp, the lateral Gs are crazy at least in my Miata.

Yeah. they were comparing what comes stock. From what I understand about the Sport 4S and Cup 2 tires, they offer nearly exactly the same amount of forward grip. I do not recall where I saw it, whether it was an article or youtube. The only real difference can be only seen in lateral G force. Cup 2 has more. In a straight line, it is Grannysmith to Red Delicious ! Apples to apples comparison.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
And that is why it should have had a naturally aspirated version of the Predator, the CJ intake on that would have been gravy. To stand above any other GT or variant thereof.

It just doesn't move the needle enough for me otherwise. I've already got a PP1 GT with suspension work that's immaculate with low miles, and I've held the pink slip for several years now. On a good day, I might get $25K for it on trade, and what's there with the Mach isn't worth another $25-30K on top to me. Not seeing it. Sorry kids, they did it right back in '03-'04 with an engine special to the nameplate, not so much this time.
I agree with this more or less. Although I don't think they would have used an N/A Predator since it's based on a Gen 2 Coyote and that would've been a step backwards in terms of technology (no PI+DI). If they just threw a CJ on the existing Gen 3 5.0 and tuned for it, it would've made just over 500 and everyone would've been happy. I'm almost certain they didn't do that so they could sell the Mach in Europe and meet emissions over there.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I agree with this more or less. Although I don't think they would have used an N/A Predator since it's based on a Gen 2 Coyote and that would've been a step backwards in terms of technology (no PI+DI). If they just threw a CJ on the existing Gen 3 5.0 and tuned for it, it would've made just over 500 and everyone would've been happy. I'm almost certain they didn't do that so they could sell the Mach in Europe and meet emissions over there.
True, the reasons why they did what they did are obvious....but the Gen 3 heads on the Predator short block with the CJ intake would have gotten me.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
With this car it will hopefully be priced reasonably and have similar characteristics to a SS 1/2LE
1SS/1LE is 45k. add 5k for 2SS (leather). Both come with Recaro seats. Ford can get away with a small premium but not 10-15k over it's direct (and frankly superior in several important ways) competition.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Sorry kids, they did it right back in '03-'04 with an engine special to the nameplate, not so much this time.
This is what I’ve been saying. The 03/04 was perfect. It was a 4v compared to the gt’s 2v which made it special in its own way. It made more power and sounded amazing. Just didn’t have the blower/forged internals and also IRS which made the cobra stand out from the Mach 1.

To me it was a perfect balance between each model with both performance and aesthetics.

This new Mach 1 would of been perfect with a 505hp motor that didn’t handle as well to keep it away from the gt350 but still stand out from a regular GT. I think they went too much into the handling which in my mind is what the boss 302 was/is. The handling package should be the boss Laguna seca.

With all that said, the new one is still a great overall package and depending on price, possibly my next car.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This is what I’ve been saying. The 03/04 was perfect. It was a 4v compared to the gt’s 2v which made it special in its own way. It made more power and sounded amazing. Just didn’t have the blower/forged internals and also IRS which made the cobra stand out from the Mach 1.

To me it was a perfect balance between each model with both performance and aesthetics.

This new Mach 1 would of been perfect with a 505hp motor that didn’t handle as well to keep it away from the gt350 but still stand out from a regular GT. I think they went too much into the handling which in my mind is what the boss 302 was/is. The handling package should be the boss Laguna seca.

With all that said, the new one is still a great overall package and depending on price, possibly my next car.
Some simple math, and some daydreaming:

Predator short block nets ~200cc more displacement, which is ~12 cubic inches. Bullitt-spec engine is ~1.6 HP/CI. Therefore, my dream factory Mach engine (Predator short block with Gen 3 heads) would net ~502 HP. Ding!

Considering that the Predator's bore is 1mm larger than the 5.0, cylinder head flow might be a tiny amount better since the valves would be less shrouded, so the power would likely be slightly higher as well maybe 505-510. And this with just the Gen 3 cams and Bullitt intake. Tweak cams a little, maybe that CJ intake, and we're well beyond that 505-510 HP. It would have been easy, all the parts are in the bins, after all.

I get why they did what they did, and the Mach is going to be great to a large degree. But the scenario above would have been killer, and would probably have had me waving cash instead of staying on course plotting for an eventual GT500. And probably more like me that want something a little more.
Sponsored