Sponsored

Engine died at idle no start

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Went to pick the car up from the detailer this afternoon and it looked incredible. He fired it up and drove it out of the bay and into the sun so we could check it out under the natural lighting. We had probably be talking for 10 minutes or so when the engine made a slight clunk and shut off. I didn't think much of it and we continued to go over the car. A few minutes later I attempted to crank the car and just got a clunk of the starter solenoid. Checked battery to make sure it was ok and that seemed fine. Put a booster on it just in case but it made no difference.

I placed the car in 6th and attempted to push it and no go, something is bound up. No noises prior to the shut down, just clunk, off. Water temps weren't up to normal yet and Health Report showed nothing abnormal on the app. Pushed it back into the bay and I'll contact Ford in the morning (they were already closed for the day). Not what I wanted to see with 450 miles on the odometer....

------------------------------- Original Post Ends Here -----------------------------------

Figured I'd start a timeline of events for quick reference:

14 May - Purchased new with 33 miles.
26 May - Windows tinted.
27 May - Paint correction begins.
29 May - Paint correction completed.
30 May - Vinyl stripes begin.
31 May - Vinyl striped completed.
1 Jun - Ceramic coating begins.
2 Jun - Ceramic coating completed and engine dies in detailers parking lot with 454 miles on the odometer.
3 Jun - Vehicle towed to service department (Purvis Ford)
11 Jun - Vehicle transferred to different service center (Bayside Ford) that will be able to diagnose and repair/replace approx two weeks earlier than previous service center.
17 Jun Service department informs me that a piece of a spark plug has broken off and made contact with a piston. I have no further details.
24 Jun Regional CSR informs me that the replacement engine has an estimated delivery date of Jul 2. I requested another buy back.
29 Jun Service department provided the estimate to repair the damage to the front and rear of the car ($2600 and change). Filed claim with Ford's roadside assistance and provided videos of the entire loading process.
2 Jul Contacted by CSR; the engine has arrived at the service station but they need a few more parts (1 time use apparently) that wont arrive until the 10th. No update on the buy back decision at this point.
7 Jul Damage claim against the towing company was approved today in the amount of $2613.81. The buyback request has been denied stating it doesn't meet the states lemon law criteria.
10 Jul Service manager sends email and states car should be ready for pickup Monday.
13 Jul Regional CSR sends email stating they're waiting on another part with an ETA of 24 Jul
14 Jul Opened case with BBB Auto Line
15 Jul App shows the car was driven 9 miles
17 Jul Work has been finished and the car is home
30 Jul Contacted by the BBB Auto Line with an offer from Ford. I have declined and submitted a counter.

As of 17 Jul:
Days in my possession - 13
Days out of my possession - 52
Days since break down - 45
Sponsored

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ooof. This sounds like a seized motor. If it shut off and now won't turn over, that's a pretty strong sign it's seized.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
That stinks. The GT350 will automatically shut down after 30 minutes at idle, but it sounds like you weren’t close to that.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That stinks. The GT350 will automatically shut down after 30 minutes at idle, but it sounds like you weren’t close to that.
I sure don't think we had been out there that long. Regardless, it wouldn't turn over after.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Well, then HB May be right, unfortunately. Yours would not be the first gen 2 motor to seize up under 500 miles

Sponsored

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
had the engine been burning oil? how long ago since you last checked the oil level? any oil pressure issues?
Car has 450 miles, I wouldn't know if it's burning oil yet. No oil pressure issues.

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
Kinda confused when you said you heard a slight clunk, the engine shut itself off & you didn't think anything of it...did you think that was normal? I would have been trying to figure out WTF right then. Good luck with this and hopefully it is something simple

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Kinda confused when you said you heard a slight clunk, the engine shut itself off & you didn't think anything of it...did you think that was normal? I would have been trying to figure out WTF right then. Good luck with this and hopefully it is something simple
It wasn't anything crazy and we were at the front of the car when it happened so it was more pronounced vs when I've been further away from previous cars that shut down after a time period idling.

Sponsored

Saltiez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did the detailer clean the engine bay and/or possibly get water onto the air filter? I’m not sure if a “clunk” would be heard but would explain why the car wouldn’t start again if the engine was hydro locked.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I happen to be reading about oil, just curious. Not to sound an alarm, but found this note interesting.

In your friendly owners manual*

Note: The oil consumption of new engines
reaches its normal level after approximately
3,000 mi (5,000 km).

I have not given any thoughts to a new motor using oil, NOT burning.

On the flip side of the coin 500 miles on the clock whatever it is it will be covered.

How well did you know the detailer .............. jest asking..

Pep

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What year?

Did the detailer clean the engine bay and/or possibly get water onto the air filter? I’m not sure if a “clunk” would be heard but would explain why the car wouldn’t start again if the engine was hydro locked.
Nothing done under the hood.

I happen to be reading about oil, just curious. Not to sound an alarm, but found this note interesting.

In your friendly owners manual*

Note: The oil consumption of new engines
reaches its normal level after approximately
3,000 mi (5,000 km).

I have not given any thoughts to a new motor using oil, NOT burning.

On the flip side of the coin 500 miles on the clock whatever it is it will be covered.

How well did you know the detailer .............. jest asking..

Pep
Best detailer around, it wasn't him. He took it worse than I did LOL.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Reading other posts, it looks like the recommendation is to contact Ford via the 800 number for a CSR but which 800 number should I be using (I cant find mention of a CSR directly)?
Sponsored