10r80 overheat or bigger issue?

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
Hello all. First of all excuse me for not being very knowledgeable about this subject. Today I did some spirited driving in my A10 2019 GT PP1 and noticed that at high speeds my transmission oil temp was getting very high (215° and up!!!) shortly after if I applied even the slightest bit of throttle the engine speed would just increase and rev up but it didn’t feel like any power was getting put down, engine revved to about 4500 and everything felt very clunky then I saw a lot of smoke coming out from behind me!!! Could I have damaged something or are we looking at just a simple case of overheating? I’ve tried looking at other threads but can’t find anything related. This has happened in the past before, at quick highway speeds temp rises quickly and gears feel as if slipping now today smoke. Appreciate any input thanks!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty time.

OP
OP
Bmac50

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
Warranty time.
Definitely will be getting in contact with the dealership, too bad the ones near me are complete garbage. Was just hoping to get a better idea of what the underlying issue is before taking it in.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Was just hoping to get a better idea of what the underlying issue is before taking it in.
Nothing to understand.. other than the fluid is getting cooked. But let us know what they say.. cause you don't hear about a10's failing.

OP
OP
Bmac50

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
Nothing to understand.. other than the fluid is getting cooked. But let us know what they say.. cause you don't hear about a10's failing.
Will do thanks. In your Opinion is that what the smoke was? Overheated fluid??

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

RBELUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT P1
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man!!! Do you have option to see under car via jack and stands. Might just be a line or connection issue. Is the underside of car wet looking. Ive tracked mine to 230 and its been sluggish but never puffed smoke.

OP
OP
Bmac50

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
Oh man!!! Do you have option to see under car via jack and stands. Might just be a line or connection issue. Is the underside of car wet looking. Ive tracked mine to 230 and its been sluggish but never puffed smoke.
Have not gotten the chance to look under but now that you mention there was residue on the rear diffuser of something that might’ve been related shortly after the smoke showed.

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The a10 is known to slip slightly intentionally when cold to warm up, but warmed up thats different.

OP
OP
Bmac50

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
The a10 is known to slip slightly intentionally when cold to warm up, but warmed up thats different.
Definitely not normal, especially since my a10 was one of the unlucky ones to be 2qts low on fluid from factory Im hoping there’s no real damage. I’m gonna have the dealer take a look at it tomorrow morning and will update the thread most likely tomorrow night.

Sponsored

TuxedoPC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Definitely not normal, especially since my a10 was one of the unlucky ones to be 2qts low on fluid from factory Im hoping there’s no real damage. I’m gonna have the dealer take a look at it tomorrow morning and will update the thread most likely tomorrow night.
Well 2 quarts low is bad. I had my transmission checked at 600 mi to make sure it wasnt low

rt64859

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium
I actually had this exact same thing happen a few days ago to my ecoboost 2018. Mustang is currently with Ford and I won't hear anything till Tuesday. They did call me and tell me that it looks like my mustang had too much transmission fluid.

rt64859

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium
Worst part is they are now closed till Tuesday. I need answers!

rt64859

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium
So after there lengthy diagnosis they came back to tell me they think it was over filled and they did nothing. Makes no sense.

OP
OP
Bmac50

Bmac50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT pp1
My guess is it boiled the fluid in the trans from (unknown)problem, pressurized the fluid it and pushed it out the rear seal onto the exhaust.

Waiting is the worst though.
I was really hoping this was a possibility with mine I was thinking maybe the fluid got too hot maybe a little too much pressure and it somehow purged it to prevent damage but I unfortunately I got sent away from the dealership with a pcm update that did not fix the issue.
Sponsored