Sponsored

10r80 dripping transmission fluid occasionally?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My car has been leaving small amounts of transmission fluid on the garage floor randomly after jacking it up and letting it down, and sometimes when it just sits overnight. I cant see where the drip is coming from but its near where the oil plug is. I happen to also have an oil leak but there are 2 different fluids one is oil one is red and I think its transmission fluid. Kind of looks like it is coming out of the front area of the transmission, the fluid seems pretty clean, could this be a torque converter leak? Anyone else have a transmission leak on 10r80 that they figured out and got fixed? The area I circled had a bit of the reddish fluid on it

ruNt92i.jpg

Also, the steeda K brace touches those metal transmission lines, but it hasnt affected the transmission in any way and I dont think the metal pipes are where the leak is coming from. Still though, since its metal on metal I will be removing the K brace I consider it incompatible with 10r80 cars I suppose.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It could be Torque converter related.

Usually if there is any fluid seepage between the trans/spacer plate/engine - it's 99% of the time engine oil from the rear main seal.

Could it still be the RMS but trans fluid instead of engine oil - probably not likely.

Definitely make an appointment, because that should be covered under warranty (either the new car 3/36 if still applicable or if not, the 5/60 Powertrain).

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the 10r does have a vent on it, so depedns on if its coming from the vent, we acutally ran a line to the engine bay and a custom catch can (which drains back down in the trans)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
the 10r does have a vent on it, so depedns on if its coming from the vent, we acutally ran a line to the engine bay and a custom catch can (which drains back down in the trans)
Any images of that to share or direction on how to do it?

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea its definitely leaking I am taking it to ford for diagnosis, not sure if they will warranty it because I do have a whipple but I dont know how a whipple could make my transmission leak.. It shifts perfect for now but obviously if it keeps leaking its going to get ruined from low fluid... Anyone else deal with this or have any suggestions?

Sponsored

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Watching. I've got an 18 10R80 Ecoboost that's built and also leaking transmission fluid. Hit it hard the other day and saw smoke. Jacked the car up the next day and saw fluid hit the exhaust... Also driving fine but highly doubt my dealer will cover under warranty.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I just discovered a thin film of oil on the bottom surface of my 10r80 pan. I was about to post a new thread when I found this one.

I had a track day 6 weeks ago, and my notes show that the trans went to 265 at the end of one session (not the last one). All the other sessions had 220F for the trans.

@beefcake we'd like more info about your post# 3.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car is at the dealership they are replacing some seals under warranty, hopefully I will know more by next week. I dont track my car and I dont think the trans temps have ever gone over 215 or 220 at most.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I just discovered a thin film of oil on the bottom surface of my 10r80 pan. I was about to post a new thread when I found this one.

I had a track day 6 weeks ago, and my notes show that the trans went to 265 at the end of one session (not the last one). All the other sessions had 220F for the trans.

Feel free to shoot me a DM

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods

Update: I went underneath and found that it is not oily after all. Must just be track crap. I cleaned the pan underside anyway to make it easier to keep an eye on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is what ford said about my 10r80 leak

"The failure was the bushing out of the torque converter came loose and found its way into the pump."

Going to pick the car up today I think ill let you guys know if it worked. I think they just replaced the bushing and any seals related to this leak.

The failure may have occured when I attempted a 2nd gear launch on the street. Converter flashed and I blew the tires off through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th and maybe some of 6th gear ending at like 100+ mph with a 1/8th+ mile cloud of smoke, didnt really seem like much force going through the trans etc since the tires just spun though. Or it may have happened when I got some wheel hop or tire-on-wheel slippage at the top of 3rd on a sticky new road surface, I really dont know. There were no symptoms other than leaking fluid and I dont think the trans ever got above 220.

Last edited:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we honeslty think the bushing issues we have seen could be corrected with a stronger flexplate, but none available still.....

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
Mine is in the shop now but won't even be looked at until Friday.

Limped in yesterday when the steering wheel locked up and the "service advance Trac" and "hillside assist disabled" came on.... All sorts of warning lights popped on.

No clue if it has to do with the transmission or what but it looks like I'm f***ed either way. Cars way outta warranty.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ That is unfortunate, good luck though, here are some more details on my issue and resolution

PKeqBBq.jpg

iS09O8V.jpg

Car is driving the same as it always has and no longer leaking so I am happy.

Last edited:

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F

Have you done any 10R80 cooling for track? About 3/4 into my 20 min sessions I end up being limited to RPM’s on the straights - Trans fluid is overheating.
Just researched the 2015-2018 Mishimoto but doesn’t sound like it will work for my 2020 PP1, and the numbers weren’t very impressive IMO.

@GTP
I received those brake shield deflectors by the way, thank you. đź‘Ť
Sponsored