Installed Ford Performance Oil Separator / Catch can

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Just installed on my 2019 GT. Looks to be an updated design that allows the canister to slide off the mounting bracket when servicing. (I plan on using a automotive syringe to pull the oil out the inlet port every 5k miles) Took me an hour to install but I was taking my time. I picked it up at my local summit racing for 159$ and pretty much the only engine mod done so far. I was aiming to stay stock. The bracket is metal and mounted at 2 points to the engine. Capacity is pretty good , looks to be about 6 ounces or more. Both mounting and capacity and the oem look made me choose this over the JLT catch can which is similarly priced. Part # is : M-6766-A50A
20200414_180628.jpg
Sponsored

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Did yours come with two brackets? Mine did for some reason.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What's the point of this if you don't mind me asking since Gen 3 has dual injection?

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
What's the point of this if you don't mind me asking since Gen 3 has dual injection?
The coyote has a good bit of blow by, more so in the higher rpm range. While it still has port injection I don't think it keeps the valves clean enough overtime. I've seen a video here and there about what people have accumulated in their catch cans over 1000 miles or in a track day or 2 and that convinced me to buy one myself. It isn't a necessity but I want to prolong the life of my gen 3 coyote.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I doubt gen3 will keep oil mist from forming on the back of the throttle plate as well.
yep. i had a rough idle on start up back when i bought my car used and had the AC on. cleaned the TB and it went away

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Being DI makes it more important to run. Really the GEN 3 is DUAL injection. It uses both methods. DI means no fuel is washing the back of the valves so carbon builds up on them more. Oil going into the intake manifold makes the build up worse. Less oil in the intake system = less build up = cleaner engine.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The coyote has a good bit of blow by, more so in the higher rpm range. While it still has port injection I don't think it keeps the valves clean enough overtime. I've seen a video here and there about what people have accumulated in their catch cans over 1000 miles or in a track day or 2 and that convinced me to buy one myself. It isn't a necessity but I want to prolong the life of my gen 3 coyote.

For me seeing the inside of a 2003 Mach1 intake after 60-80K miles was enough for me to see the reason for a catch can. Even on a hybrid setup.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
thanks, saved me 8 bucks.. i was getting ready to place an order for one, but this was a bit cheaper, and free shipping to boot!

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I doubt gen3 will keep oil mist from forming on the back of the throttle plate as well.
Okay that's fair, that's a good reason for one.

Being DI makes it more important to run. Really the GEN 3 is DUAL injection. It uses both methods. DI means no fuel is washing the back of the valves so carbon builds up on them more. Oil going into the intake manifold makes the build up worse. Less oil in the intake system = less build up = cleaner engine.
Sorry but I don't follow entirely what you're saying. One of the purposes of dual injection is to make sure there is fuel to wash the backs of the valves. You have 8 port injectors and 8 direct injectors on these engines. It's true that they can't magically wash what's upstream of them, but the intake valves are definitely going to get cleaned.

For the record I wasn't asking my question to be confrontational, but rather just to see if it was worth the money, which it seems to be if it's gonna keep the throttle body clean at least.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Okay that's fair, that's a good reason for one.

Sorry but I don't follow entirely what you're saying. One of the purposes of dual injection is to make sure there is fuel to wash the backs of the valves. You have 8 port injectors and 8 direct injectors on these engines. It's true that they can't magically wash what's upstream of them, but the intake valves are definitely going to get cleaned.

For the record I wasn't asking my question to be confrontational, but rather just to see if it was worth the money, which it seems to be if it's gonna keep the throttle body clean at least.

I don't think he intended to make your question like that. It was a good question concerning the GEN 3. He was more specific than I was but I think the goal here is to spread the knowledge of the why's and why not's? We all work very hard for these cars. I'm very fortunate to own one myself. That being said I do feel like a catch can is definitely worth the investment if you plan to keep it long term, drive it hard often, and simply want the cleaner engine.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Im definitely curious how much gunk I'll pick up in 5,000 miles with 30% of my driving being hard pulls. I'm also curious how much dust and debris from cold air intakes gets blown by the piston, enters the PVC as contaminated oil and back in the intake to be burned off again. Id imagine that would be harsh on the GEN 3 ford plasma wire arc cylinder liners and would definitely be another reason to run a catch can? Opinions?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Im definitely curious how much gunk I'll pick up in 5,000 miles with 30% of my driving being hard pulls. I'm also curious how much dust and debris from cold air intakes gets blown by the piston, enters the PVC as contaminated oil and back in the intake to be burned off again. Id imagine that would be harsh on the GEN 3 ford plasma wire arc cylinder liners and would definitely be another reason to run a catch can? Opinions?
The amount you'll pick up just depends on how much blowby your motor has, which is dependent on lots of different factors. Anything under a cup in a change is no issue. As far as dust and debris, any that enters the engine (after sandblasting various parts of your engine) it should end up suspended in the oil and captured by filter, it's very unlikely it will end up in the PCV system because that generally only captures vapors.

OP
OP
Xzavior1818

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
The amount you'll pick up just depends on how much blowby your motor has, which is dependent on lots of different factors. Anything under a cup in a change is no issue. As far as dust and debris, any that enters the engine (after sandblasting various parts of your engine) it should end up suspended in the oil and captured by filter, it's very unlikely it will end up in the PCV system because that generally only captures vapors.
Yeah I gave it some thought and that completely makes sense.
Sponsored