corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The extinction of ICE vehicles will mostly likely not happen in most of our lifetimes. No one knows what the future will bring. The one thing I believe will not change is “choice”. You had it 50 years ago and you will have it 50 years from now. For right now and for the foreseeable future the cost savings of EV’s vs. ICE, in the US will remain. It is in the best interest of the car manufacturers to make sure this happens.
It'll be interesting to watch where recharging costs do go (perhaps especially so if you're not being directly affected). Car mfrs and consumers both wanting electricity costs to remain at least semi-stable on the one hand, power companies and big investors having a rather different agenda. It's a bit doubtful that either you or I will see that play out to completion.

Norm
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It may be interesting to see where recharging costs do go. Car mfrs and consumers both wanting electricity costs to remain at least semi-stable on the one hand, power companies and big investors having a rather different agenda.

Norm
Well and beside any possible sinister motives, there's a natural reaction of supply and demand. If demand increases, prices generally go up. It will cost a lot of money to build new power plants all over the country and increase the capacity of power lines. Anyone who uses electricity will have to pay more due to the supply shortages, and everyone will have to pay for the infrastructure improvements as well.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
He's a complete moron if he's concerned about European Mustang sales.

They're a lost cause, forget about them. Focus on who actually buys the car.
Mustang is the top selling sports car in Germany the home of the 911. That says we (Europeans) are indeed buying the Mustang a lot.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Mustang is the top selling sports car in Germany the home of the 911. That says we (Europeans) are indeed buying the Mustang a lot.
As a percentage of over-all sales, non-domestic sales are about 16-17%.

If Europe is banning ICE cars, and I were running Ford, I'd just focus on domestic sales, make the Mustang the best car it can be. And thereby increase the sales here so the lost sales in Europe are meaningless.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As a percentage of over-all sales, non-domestic sales are about 16-17%.

If Europe is banning ICE cars, and I were running Ford, I'd just focus on domestic sales, make the Mustang the best car it can be. And thereby increase the sales here so the lost sales in Europe are meaningless.
I agree but Mustang sales even in US are way less then Focus and Fiesta and F150. So the Mustang is not high priority for Ford anyway.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I agree but Mustang sales even in US are way less then Focus and Fiesta and F150. So the Mustang is not high priority for Ford anyway.
The Focus and Fietsa are gone my friend. Finito. Ended. Disappeared. No more.

So to keep the Mustang a viable product, they have to ignore non-domestic markets. In ICE banned Europe, there can be no sales anyways. So, what's the point? Europe is going it's own way, so leave them to it.

ICE banning is going to fail anyways. So just let the idea fail, and stay out of the mess.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Understood.

So to keep the Mustang a viable product, they have to ignore non-domestic markets.

In ICE banned Europe, there can be no sales anyways. So, what's the point? Europe is going it's own way, so leave them to it.

It's going to fail anyways. So just let the idea fail, and stay out of the mess.
If i was a corporate and wanted a global brand I probably will discontinue the Mustang if I don't want to build different cars for different markets was my point.

However I personally think that Ford should have same offerings both domestic and in Europe.

And in Europe there is a strong following for the Mustang correct me if I'm wrong but Europe hold the World Record for most Mustangs in a line. And also for most Ford's in a Line. So we Europeans care not only for the Mustangs but for Ford in general.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

So to keep the Mustang a viable product, they have to ignore non-domestic markets. In ICE banned Europe, there can be no sales anyways. So, what's the point? Europe is going it's own way, so leave them to it.

ICE banning is going to fail anyways. So just let the idea fail, and stay out of the mess.
How much are you willing to bet that the only reason we got the S550 is because it was to be a global car. Ford is a global company and because of that has to think globally. Just thinking domestic no longer works in today's economies.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Only for US. We are waiting on the new Focus RS this year and we just started getting the new Focus ST. So they ended only for US as you guys are not buying them.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Only for US. We are waiting on the new Focus RS this year and we just started getting the new Focus ST. So they ended only for US as you guys are not buying them.
Aren't the Focus & Fiesta in Europe built there, and a bit different from US models?

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well and beside any possible sinister motives, there's a natural reaction of supply and demand. If demand increases, prices generally go up. It will cost a lot of money to build new power plants all over the country and increase the capacity of power lines. Anyone who uses electricity will have to pay more due to the supply shortages, and everyone will have to pay for the infrastructure improvements as well.
And with the building of new power plants to charge EV's more pollution thus proving EV's are not going to save the environment.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And with the building of new power plants to charge EV's more pollution thus proving EV's are not going to save the environment.
I think EVs as they exist right now don't save the environment. They just change the types and locations of the environmental impact. And there is a huge burden of cost to bear for making the change artificially rather than just letting people decide to buy what they prefer and allowing market forces to work.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The two largest energy providers in Michigan are DTE and Consumers Energy. Here’s what they have to say on the topic. I’m sure power companies in other states are following similar paths.

2FC8928B-F6A2-456D-94AD-E3F018FC5CAD.jpeg
9C250FCC-7E45-4B42-8792-A712887636A4.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Supposedly there is, or at least can be, a net reduction in pollution when the dirty part of generating power is at a relatively few large stationary sources as opposed to being in millions of small mobile sources. Operating under relatively constant load vs highly variable loadings clearly favors power plants.

One catch is that environmentalists may object to stationary-source pollution rising even as the total of stationary plus mobile pollution drops. And with brownouts and rolling blackouts happening (chiefly during the heat of summer) it would suck to have your recharging ability limited by that. The technology already exists for a power company to remotely turn off power to air conditioning during periods of peak demand if the homeowner has agreed to having the associated "energy-saving box" installed. I can picture where recharging could be handled in similar fashion, or where you could choose to run either A/C or recharge but not both at the same time during times of slightly less demand.

Norm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase