Sponsored

Truck engine for mustang

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m here because I am not blind and saw this engine has a lot of potential.

So funny.. 25+ years ago people were screaming about the modular motor sending the pushrod 5.0 into the sunset. The modular revolution netted some of the best built and most potent Mustangs ever built. Now that there’s an option for people WILLING to do one off and very unique swaps, I see people are dusting off the pitch forks.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
well I guess the utility/joy of putting a engine with technology so old it should be shot and buried 20 years ago (ok, a bit of hyperbole) is marginally greater than taking the a briefcase of bundles of $10 bills and lighting them on fire.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
well I guess the utility/joy of putting a engine with technology so old it should be shot and buried 20 years ago (ok, a bit of hyperbole) is marginally greater than taking the a briefcase of bundles of $10 bills and lighting them on fire.
Same can be said about your manual transmission.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
DOHC is old as well.... Those engines existed alongside pushrods in the 60-70s....

Ford has done about as much as they can possibly do with the restrictions of the mod motor architecture, specifically the coyote architecture (and we are starting to see the consequences of pushing it to far).

I'm not saying this engine should replace a coyote, I'm saying I can certainly see a place for it in the Mustang lineup.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
DOHC is old as well.... Those engines existed alongside pushrods in the 60-70s....

Ford has done about as much as they can possibly do with the restrictions of the mod motor architecture, specifically the coyote architecture (and we are starting to see the consequences of pushing it to far).

I'm not saying this engine should replace a coyote, I'm saying I can certainly see a place for it in the Mustang lineup.
Obviously this is something Ford will never do but I’d love to see someone try to do it in a S550. It’s a totally ridiculous thing to do but a big block S550 would be fun to see.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

That's because you have a rational mindset.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Obviously this is something Ford will never do but I’d love to see someone try to do it in a S550. It’s a totally ridiculous thing to do but a big block S550 would be fun to see.
A big block 429/460 in a s550? That would be a sight.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I personally do not understand why so many are AGAINST the swap concept. The coyote (gen 1 and 2) (not the gen 3 with those plasma bore cylinder liners) is a great engine but it is NOT and should not be the end all be all of the Mustang lineup IMO.
t.
I think so many are against it because as of right now this is a truck engine. Everything about it as of now is set up for truck duty. Performance parts and stuff like that right now would all be custom and expensive.

I would bet if there was say a Ford Performance version of said engine (or if there was a plethora of performance parts available)many would be singing a different tune, but because as of today this engine is designed for truck use most are against it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would choose an aluminum block 8.2" deck 363 over this new 7.3 if I were doing a high buck engine swap into an older Mustang. The small size and light weight is really nice for handling and packaging. But I wouldn't be looking for crazy power and I'm not a 1/4 mile guy. I can definitely see the appeal of the 7.3. I'd probably put it in an old pickup before a Mustang, though.

Edit: actually my favorite pushrod Ford engine is the Cleveland. I'd love an aluminum Cleveland with a bunch of cubes.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I think so many are against it because as of right now this is a truck engine. Everything about it as of now is set up for truck duty. Performance parts and stuff like that right now would all be custom and expensive.

I would bet if there was say a Ford Performance version of said engine (or if there was a plethora of performance parts available)many would be singing a different tune, but because as of today this engine is designed for truck use most are against it.
With the coyote, swap 2 cams and intake you have a truck engine....

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
With the coyote, swap 2 cams and intake you have a truck engine....
I understand that.

The point was the 7.3 as of NOW is only available in truck duty configuration. All parts made to make it a performance oriented engine don't exist yet or are being custom made.

If you paid attention to the second part of my post where I said if there was already a plethora of performance parts out there, many would be singing a different tune.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I understand that.

The point was the 7.3 as of NOW is only available in truck duty configuration. All parts made to make it a performance oriented engine don't exist yet or are being custom made.

If you paid attention to the second part of my post where I said if there was already a plethora of performance parts out there, many would be singing a different tune.
My point is that an engine is simply an engine no matter the config.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I understand that.

I do not think any of us are actually against it. That said what indication has Ford given us that we will ever see anything but a Coyote in the S550 and now thankfully the S650? Nothing and that’s where it’s going to stay. This may be a great engine with high performance potential but only Ford Performance and the aftermarket is going to support it. As far as Ford putting this engine in a car, forget it, they see this only as a truck engine.

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I do not think any of us are actually against it. That said what indication has Ford given us that we will ever see anything but a Coyote in the S550 and now thankfully the S650? Nothing and that’s where it’s going to stay. This may be a great engine with high performance potential but only the aftermarket is going to support it. As far as Ford is concerned this is a truck engine.
Seems like Ford Performance will support it.
Sponsored