Truck engine for mustang

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Meanwhile...............

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z460FRT

Done and done. No mucking around out of the box, even more cubes vs 445, still cast iron block, and a 2 friggin' year warranty. Holley intake, 850 carb, no control pack needed (or go EFI if you want, whatevs), headers, done and done and done and done and done.

I still don't understand this Godzilla swap nonsense. I bet that intake manifold for that swap was $3 - 4,000 alone. Unless people can start picking up Godzilla crate engines for like $5,000 a piece, which I'm guessing will not be the case, this just has no sensible application whatsoever.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why nobody seems to insert the long 'intake' into the main plenum body so these 'cobrajet'-like manifolds aren't so silly tall.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I still don't understand this Godzilla swap nonsense. I bet that intake manifold for that swap was $3 - 4,000 alone. Unless people can start picking up Godzilla crate engines for like $5,000 a piece, which I'm guessing will not be the case, this just has no sensible application whatsoever.
Because it is a new generation Ford pushrod..... The 429/460 were good engines for their time but they had issues (mainly in cylinder head design, I KNOW).

I personally do not understand why so many are AGAINST the swap concept. The coyote (gen 1 and 2) (not the gen 3 with those plasma bore cylinder liners) is a great engine but it is NOT and should not be the end all be all of the Mustang lineup IMO.

I would personally LOVE to have a Boss 429 S550 derived from the 7.3L. Something about a large displacement SIMPLE pushrod V8 that has to potential to make 600hp NA on pump gas (and no NOT E85).

And BTW that intake is a CONCEPT and only being used for R&D. It is not a final product.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Because it is a new generation Ford pushrod..... The 429/460 were good engines for their time but they had issues (mainly in cylinder head design, I KNOW).

I personally do not understand why so many are AGAINST the swap concept. The coyote (gen 1 and 2) (not the gen 3 with those plasma bore cylinder liners) is a great engine but it is NOT and should not be the end all be all of the Mustang lineup IMO.

I would personally LOVE to have a Boss 429 S550 derived from the 7.3L. Something about a large displacement SIMPLE pushrod V8 that has to potential to make 600hp NA on pump gas (and no NOT E85).

And BTW that intake is a CONCEPT and only being used for R&D. It is not a final product.
Finally, someone who gets it. I've already done the math and if you destroke it back to 3.835" you get a 429. But keep the bore at 4.22" so it can breathe a little better. And by destrokeing it you gain a little rpm and it will shift the powerband up slightly. Oh and the external dimensions are narrower than a coyote but longer so if a yote fits so will the 7.3.

BTW if you want to go the other way, Brian Wolfe of Team Z motorsports has done a teardown of one and he estimates you could safely stroke it another .25" for a 475 cid or so

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I don't know why nobody seems to insert the long 'intake' into the main plenum body so these 'cobrajet'-like manifolds aren't so silly tall.
They are trying to get as straight of a run as possible into the head. But yes, you can wrap the runners into the plenum to make the intake less tall and get the majority of the benefits.

I fully expect the aftermarket to explode with support for this engine.... Every drag racer using a SBF/BBF now suddenly has a familiar option that is MODERN with very decent flowing stock heads from the looks of it. Plus this engine should be far cheaper to mod then the mod motor architecture due to its simplicity. Sounds like it cannot go up in displacement to much but it can go DOWN making for a potential high reving high HP engine.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Funny to see Ford finally develop a new pushrod motor. Seemed to have been a lot of dumping on the General for going that route, but now they're way ahead on pushrod motor design. No doubt the aftermarket will come up with carburetor manifolds and distributor adapters so the Godzilla can be used in all-mechanical cars. There's plenty of that stuff available for LS/LT motors.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Meanwhile...............

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z460FRT

Done and done. No mucking around out of the box, even more cubes vs 445, still cast iron block, and a 2 friggin' year warranty. Holley intake, 850 carb, no control pack needed (or go EFI if you want, whatevs), headers, done and done and done and done and done.

Godzilla swap is not for you.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Finally, someone who gets it. I've already done the math and if you destroke it back to 3.835" you get a 429. But keep the bore at 4.22" so it can breathe a little better. And by destrokeing it you gain a little rpm and it will shift the powerband up slightly.
Combine that with a cam designed for high HP high RPM operation and a tuned intake manifold to match and you could quite possibly have a 429 engine that can rev to 7500rpm and make 600hp+ on pump gas. You cannot tell me that would not be an awesome engine! Add to it that even with an iron block, it only is 100lbs heavier than a stock coyote. To get 600hp out of a coyote on pump gas you need a blower which will certainly add at least if not more than 100lbs to the nose between the blower, coolers, and plumbing required. Just look at the GT500...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Combine that with a cam designed for high HP high RPM operation and a tuned intake manifold to match and you could quite possibly have a 429 engine that can rev to 7500rpm and make 600hp+ on pump gas. You cannot tell me that would not be an awesome engine! Add to it that even with an iron block, it only is 100lbs heavier than a stock coyote. To get 600hp out of a coyote on pump gas you need a blower which will certainly add at least if not more than 100lbs to the nose between the blower, coolers, and plumbing required. Just look at the GT500...
It's gonna be awesome in a foxbody no doubt!

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Fox? I was thinking '72 Maverick.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name