Sponsored

used truck for towing suggestions

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I'm considering picking up a truck to haul my Mustang on an trailer to allow me to take it to more track events without having to worry about getting it home in case something breaks. Budget will be around $12k as I don't want to finance anything so I'll likely be looking at trucks in the 2000-2013ish year range. Plan is to use uhaul trailers for now as I don't have the room for a car trailer and I don't really want to pay to store one. Will likely only use it to tow 10-12 times a year. I'm not really a truck guy, so I'm looking for some suggestions. I know enough to keep away from older 5.4 Fords, just not sure on the other options. Thought about a 11-14 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, but I know they also have some issues with timing components. I am fairly mechanically inclined, replacing the phasers/guides on a 3.5 eb is something i feel i could handle on my own if needed. The GMs of this era seem to be the safest bet. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Whatā€™s going to hamper your search is price. Nothing wrong with a budget, unfortunately in that range the pickens for a quality used truck are slim. I wouldnā€™t limit the search to just Ford. Any later model 1/2 ton will do what you need. Iā€˜d prefer a v8 over the ecoboost, just for simplicity. Any of the domestics are pretty simple to work on and parts are readily available.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
2013 General Motots trucks and up are have major ($2500) transmission issues around 50-60 k miles.

The system that changes how many cylinders are active, is so bad people are buying aftermarket kits to change to full time 8 cylinder.

AC condensers are failing.. typical GM knows its bad but keeps selling them.
With Ram get the larger Hemi, I think after 2014. Great torque

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I borrowed a F150 3.5 eb to go pick up a car several years ago and it did a great job. Very impressed with how it pulled. I think it was around a 2014 model.
Sponsored