weight lossplan?

Brushtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
What all can be done to a s550 to lose some weight. I have pulled front/back seat, removed the spare. I am with the light battery. Any other ideas on what to remove? This is a weekend toy and driven on the street
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Lighter wheels, rotors, lighter drivers seat, carbon fiber driveshaft, lighter hood, etc. aftermarket exhaust can save a surprising amount of weight.

There are lighter structural items such as K members, but they will compromise the integrity of the car.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
What all can be done to a s550 to lose some weight. I have pulled front/back seat, removed the spare. I am with the light battery. Any other ideas on what to remove? This is a weekend toy and driven on the street
If it isn't a dedicated track car competing for money/prizes/whatever, don't worry about losing weight. You'll hit diminishing returns very quickly.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
My first comment is DONT...

The second comment is what's your budget.

Third comment if money is no object.
Get the Watson racing tubular K brace, it replaces the cradle your engine sits on. It drops a crap load of weight off the front and allows you to run S197 knuckles which are aluminum so you lose both sprung and unsprung weight.

It also drops the engine lower i believe and gives more room for headers...

I think the total savings maybe 50lbs on the nose but don't quote me.

Delete the front and rear bumper supports (crash bars) or replace them with the steeda pieces.

That plus lighter wheels you can get aluminum racing rims. That can easily drop another 50-100lbs...

Titanium lug nuts.

Carbon fibre hood,
AC delete, speaker delete, all interior trim delete, lexan windows, fiberglass doors, no Windows.

I'm pretty confident you could make the car well under 3000 lbs easily...

The clutch and flywheel on this car together is like 40lbs... It's legit the heaviest clutch I've ever seen on a car...

So really up to u how far u want to go... Weight really is relative man... These cars really aren't very heavy when you consider a 350Z is pretty much the same weight as say an ecoboost. And the weight comes from more safety features and more resilient overbuilt parts to take the abuse of street driving, high hp, tq and comfort features like the powered seats.

Once you start dropping weight you really compromise ride comfort for negligible gains...

I think Peter Brock said with speed with aero being the same your options to go faster is either you can square the horsepower or cube root the weight...

I'm going from memory so don't quote me on that...

Anyway the point is make more power instead. Then when youre scared of the power. Drop weight...

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Sell it and buy a foxbody?

Seriously, wrong tool for the job.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Sell it and buy a foxbody?

Seriously, wrong tool for the job.

THIS........a fox body notch with a coyote motor set up for the track will weight approx 2400lbs, an S550 will never be that light.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Things I've done. Not much weight off, but every bit counts.

-22 lbs exhaust
-5 lbs air pump
-3.4 lbs engine cover
-4.6 lbs trunk carpet cover
-4 lbs hood liner
39 lbs total weight saved

Wheels will be next for me to save about another 25 - 30 lbs. I imagine the wheels would be noticeable, but front tires will be wider. I'm not sure if roll resistance will counter the weight savings.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you start ripping out items like the AC and the seats and such you will compromise how pleasurable your car actually is to be in for very, very modest gains. A gallon of gas weighs around 6lbs. The tank on our cars is I think 16 gallons. If you drive around with a quarter tank that is 72lbs of weight as difference. How much do you notice the difference when you drive with a full tank vs a quarter tank?

Best off doing unsprung weight like light wheels.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
If you start ripping out items like the AC and the seats and such you will compromise how pleasurable your car actually is to be in for very, very modest gains. A gallon of gas weighs around 6lbs. The tank on our cars is I think 16 gallons. If you drive around with a quarter tank that is 72lbs of weight as difference. How much do you notice the difference when you drive with a full tank vs a quarter tank?

Best off doing unsprung weight like light wheels.
Exactly my point... Its a street car man that shit dont matter haha

If you're building a track car and have a few 100k of sponsor money on the line then yeah go crazy...

Lightweight wheel and tires, brake rotors, aluminum knuckle is probably the max id do... But what people dont tell you is the OEM parts are heavy because they are designed to last...

We drive on the streets. Streets aren't perfectly manicured racetracks. In the real world you have train lines, pot holes, random curbs you can't see, broken pavement.

The stock PP wheels will take ALOT of abuse and get you home with nothing more than a brusied ego...

When i was younger I was into weight mods... Going over a trainline above 30mph meant worrying if I'd make it home, because i may have cracked a wheel... Or finding out a month later I bent a wheel...

If you do get lighter wheel and tires make sure you keep your stockers with a good set of rubber on them... I guarantee you will need them...

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Or you could just lose 50 lbs. Makes the total weight less and a lot cheaper. LOL

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
The person most helpful at lightening your car is Jenny Craig. But stay away from Sara Lee and Little Debbie.

On a more serious note, I've thought about balance shaft delete with my EB. I'd like to hear more about long-term effects before I pull that trigger, though. Here's what it looks like on the Focus:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The person most helpful at lightening your car is Jenny Craig. But stay away from Sara Lee and Little Debbie.

On a more serious note, I've thought about balance shaft delete with my EB. I'd like to hear more about long-term effects before I pull that trigger, though. Here's what it looks like on the Focus:

Ahhhh I’ll just make more power.:whew:
Sponsored