Sponsored

5.4 stroker coyote ?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I am planning a “spare “ short block for my 18 and I came across this
I don’t see the the correct bore pistons offered for the 18’s but If you start off with a predator block(has the same deck surface with required knock sensors bosses )and you get a “5.4” !!
Add ARP main studs and you can get a badass block for under $6K.
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...n_page=product_info&cPath=84&products_id=1056
D984A27F-ECE2-4CE1-BAD6-5D967B04706B.png
Sponsored

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
That would be so sick. Id love to see it in an F150 to do a lightning rendition.

BarberStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (base,6Spd,BAP)
I wonder how the water jackets are bored over that much?

iownedu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UR Gallardo, 2016 Whipple Mustang GT, CLA45 AMG
How are the rod angles? I'm suspecting this will take away 8k RPM capability which shines with forced induction.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I like it. I have to wonder if there is adequate ring land thickness though. Any guesses?

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don’t see where they get the space and not leave that skirt way of of the block.

Any idea how this would affect redline from a piston speed perspective?

So many questions.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Someone else will have to be guinea pig on this as I am done with “fancy” builds .

As most of you already know, with my luck if anything can go wrong IT will . Lol

I will be doing another “5.2” using a “Gen 3” voodoo bare block since it has the right number of knock sensors . I figure the same reinforced block used in the predator should be stronger than the Gen 3 coyote block and DI heads should bolt on (the Gen 3 /predator /Gen 2/3 voodoo share the same valley /intake surface (I think that’s what that part is called . Lol)

I will be using stock 12:1 voodoo pistons(made by Mahle ) and Manley voodoo specific rods (tapered end for the pistons) with ARP 2000 bolts (got a deal )

I am also planning to use a coyote crank rather than the more expensive 5 .2 crank that has a slightly longer stroke that ford recommends for the 5.2 block . Engine builder says it may cost me some compression.
My cost to build the short block with
semi local engine builder (means I also skip painful shipping and save a bit ) is actually less than cost to buy an off the shelve non sleeved Gen 3 coyote short block ..Depending of course on specs /materials they cost from $4600 to 6500 most places .

BPS already built me a long block with the same short block specs earlier this year so I know it will work (although that is still sitting on the pallet it shipped in ).

Just can’t use that in the 18 since has it GT 350 heads and the short block won’t work since does not the right /position number of knock sensor bosses .

Last edited:
OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where are you finding a price on a predator block?
Part number is KR3Z-6010-A
Lowest I have seen is $2300.
The “voodoo variant “ is the GR3Z -6010-F (the previous Gen 1 ended with E and is discontinued)
That’s a little cheaper at $1900
I hear the only difference is the oil squirters.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
That’s an awesome idea. To me, the idea of a low-compression 91-octane 5.4 stroker is really appealing. I would think 850 rwhp is possible, reliably, without the need for e85. I only worry about the ring land thickness.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there anything I can say to make you change your mind?

I really wanted you to build an exotic engine. Sad face.
LOL.... too late .

I have already have 2 sets of brand new stock voodoo/Mahle pistons/rings ,Manley rods(5.9333 length) -specific for the pistons and stock stroke crank - ( I got quite a deal) and just paid for the block . Not yet bought the coyote crank but it’s a little late for the stroker now as would need an entirely new set of stroker rods and pistons .

I am also going to building a “spare” FP version short block (already have a spare voodoo crank) with the second set of pistons/ rods using the new predator block .

I am looking for another deal on Voodoo specific rods to build up the spare complete voodoo engine sitting in my storage . Since I would have already used the Manley rods in the short block build , I am considering the ultra light Callies I rods in that one but not sure if they make them for the Voodoo pistons (rods require a tapered small end )

Now before anyone thinks I have a money tree funding all these builds, I am getting the funds from selling a couple of my previous builds(sleeved. 5.0 long block that won’t work in my 18 and previous 5.2 long block in the KB car I just had refreshed )
I have also listed the Hellion car (with my first predator based/350 heads build ) and will offer the L&M built /sleeves 5.2 short block with it (has 12 mm head stud conversion)

I also will be listing the the KB car ( now has BES built sleeved 5.2/GT 350 heads ) when that sells . Lol

Since I am keeping the 18 and GT 350 I figure I still need to has spare motors.... with my luck !
Sponsored