Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I personally don't have strong feelings one way or another, but man that is one dumpster fire of an article.

What I'd like to see from this is an EV that has its own enthusiast base that isn't the typical Tesla owner. Have you ever been to a Tesla meet? It looks like a dealership parking lot. There's no show of the enthusiast-spirit. They're just all tinted with some variation of "LOLGAS" on their license plate. Maybe this EV can bridge that gap and open up minds on both sides.

Wishful thinking.
The thing to keep in mind is a rather lackluster aftermarket so far for Tesla. Sure there are some body kits out there but most are low quality and expensive. Beyond basics like lowering springs and tint, there isn't much available....

When I find the right set, I plan to lower mine, wheel spacers to get a more aggressive stance and possibly paint the Calipers a contrast color. Beyond that, mine is largely going to stay stock. No car other that the mustang really has the aftermarket support. Not even the Camaro...
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Nope Ford is the manufacturer and a brand name. Mustang if they decide to make it a brand would stand alongside Lincoln. The S550/650/750 would continue as a model under the brand. And yes it would be used to name the "popular vehicle flavor of the week". That's kind of the point of having a brand.
Sorry, but that's not the wisest post you've ever made. If that's the intent of Ford's thought process, let's just kill the Mustang now.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
And kind of the entire point why the people who are upset, are upset by it. By the very definition of making it a brand with a flavor of the week instead of just a model, it dilutes the name and history of Mustang. Ford already has 2 brands, Ford and Lincoln. You might disagree with these people, but surely you can see their point?
Absolutely, and everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings. I’m just not ready to sell my Mustang or take a vow never to buy a Ford product again. I’m also willing to accept what Ford is doing if it means saving our Mustang’s for the foreseeable future.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
The thing to keep in mind is a rather lackluster aftermarket so far for Tesla. Sure there are some body kits out there but most are low quality and expensive. Beyond basics like lowering springs and tint, there isn't much available....

When I find the right set, I plan to lower mine, wheel spacers to get a more aggressive stance and possibly paint the Calipers a contrast color. Beyond that, mine is largely going to stay stock. No car other that the mustang really has the aftermarket support. Not even the Camaro...
From all the news, it looks like the Camaro doesn't have market support, let alone aftermarket support. Also that is a fair point about aftermarket support for Tesla. As a Telsa owner (assuming you have interacted with other owners), do you find that they would be classified as people who are enthusiasts? Genuine question, I don't personally know any owners and would like to understand them better.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sorry, but that's not the wisest post you've ever made. If that's the intent of Ford's thought process, let's just kill the Mustang now.
Wisdom, maybe not but the first two sentences are fact. The next is conjecture. And the last is both with a little opinion thrown in.

No need to be sorry, but if this is the way you really feel, sell your Mustang and get something else.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
EVs as a whole is still less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the US. This number is higher in other countries.
It's actually 0.8% of all cars sold since 2010 and well south of 2% on recent monthly sales figures. The only thing moving the needle is the Tesla Model 3 delivery rates. EV is a California-only phenomenon followed at a distance by the rest of the virtue-signaling Oregon, Washington, and DC who are all are WILDLY rich in incomes thanks to the Tech industry.

see https://evadoption.com/ev-market-share/percent-share-of-us-ev-sales-by-state/
and https://evadoption.com/ev-market-share/ev-market-share-state/
also this is a bit out of date but relevant.
EV-Market-Share-Various-Marketings-Updated.png

This is Ford's attempt to stay relevant in the Granola state. Should Ford actually produce something that isn't an embarrassment, they'll be able to put up a fight in the rest of the 45 states. Out of 50k vehicles I wouldn't be at all surprised if over 80% of them land in CA.

I haven't seen a heat map of EV ownership but I have a strong suspicion it'll look like the dark blue sections of this.
1280px-2016_Nationwide_US_presidential_county_map_shaded_by_vote_share.svg.png

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
It's actually 0.8% of all cars sold since 2010 and well south of 2% on recent monthly sales figures. The only thing moving the needle is the Tesla Model 3 delivery rates. EV is a California-only phenomenon followed at a distance by the rest of the virtue-signaling Oregon, Washington, and DC who are all are WILDLY rich in incomes thanks to the Tech industry.

see https://evadoption.com/ev-market-share/percent-share-of-us-ev-sales-by-state/
and https://evadoption.com/ev-market-share/ev-market-share-state/
also this is a bit out of date but relevant.
EV-Market-Share-Various-Marketings-Updated.png

This is Ford's attempt to stay relevant in the Granola state. Should Ford actually produce something that isn't an embarrassment, they'll be able to put up a fight in the rest of the 45 states. Out of 50k vehicles I wouldn't be at all surprised if over 80% of them land in CA.

I haven't seen a heat map of EV ownership but I have a strong suspicion it'll look like the dark blue sections of this.
1280px-2016_Nationwide_US_presidential_county_map_shaded_by_vote_share.svg.png
Living in California I have never heard the term Granola state. I love it. There's an alarming number of Teslas out here so I don't doubt that high figure of 80%. Here is a heat map of Tesla ownership and it is pretty spot on with what you said:
teslas-in-north-america.jpg

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
From all the news, it looks like the Camaro doesn't have market support, let alone aftermarket support. Also that is a fair point about aftermarket support for Tesla. As a Telsa owner (assuming you have interacted with other owners), do you find that they would be classified as people who are enthusiasts? Genuine question, I don't personally know any owners and would like to understand them better.
There are certainly some enthusiasts but not as much as a mustang. Remember, a large majority of mustang owners are enthusiasts where as the Teslas so far are more geared towards the average driver. The styling alone is rather generic (although looks great for a car, I wouldn't call them sporty styling). So while there are some, it is not the same culture as Mustang.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Absolutely, and everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings. I’m just not ready to sell my Mustang or take a vow never to buy a Ford product again.
I do agree with this. Though the vow to never buy another Ford product depends entirely on what Ford has to offer at such time as I'm back in the market for new car. If at that time the only Mustang left in the stable is this Mach E, then it's a hard 'no'. If it's only the Mach E and electrified Mustang ponycars, it's probably still a hard 'no', depending on what other choices I may have.

I’m also willing to accept what Ford is doing if it means saving our Mustang’s for the foreseeable future.
If you could separate out the details of how they're currently doing it, I might be able to agree with you. Might. The details of such a future Mustang ponycar would absolutely matter.

Norm

Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I've been reading up on social media posts today and the amount of people refusing to accept the Mach 1 as a Mustang is seriously high. Over 95% I would estimate. Also it looks like Ford Marketing is trying to do damage control today with a series of new people stepping forward and posting in favor, like the MCA president and even Vaugh Gittin Jr. They all get burned to the ground immediately though. It is becoming painfully clear that Ford has shot in its own foot.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I've been reading up on social media posts today and the amount of people refusing to accept the Mach 1 as a Mustang is seriously high. Over 95% I would estimate. Also it looks like Ford Marketing is trying to do damage control today with a series of new people stepping forward and posting in favor, like the MCA president and even Vaugh Gittin Jr. They all get burned to the ground immediately though. It is becoming painfully clear that Ford has shot in its own foot.
Good. It’s a complete disgrace.

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392
Just wait for the next Ford 2 door ponycar, I think they might call it the Aerostar next time around. :facepalm:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Ford has already received about 14,000 reservations for the Mach-E so far:
That's interesting. I hold a reservation as well, which I made about 3 hours after the launch event ended. My number is 14,000 one hundred something. This would suggest that there was a one time surge and it has died out immediately after that.

Btw I do have zero intention to actually buy the car as long as Ford keeps refusing to remove the Mustang part from the name. The only reason I made the reservation is to sell it to someone else come ordering time next year. We have retarded tax breaks over here on electric cars, which will end by the end of 2020.
Sponsored