Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Nope, 100 to 120k is all they are warrantied for. Not saying they won't last longer, obviously, but replacement is so cost prohibitive the car has no residual value left should the battery let go.
There is no industrial scale recycling of these batteries. The value of the recovered is far too low to break even. The EV industry has in effect brought us the disposable car and has no economic interest in addressing the AfterLife. The financials are great if you can ignore the full lifecycle costs!
It is not like the battery goes dead after 120k miles... Plenty of data from 8 year old 200k+ Model S units to suggest that their data is correct and the battery will last 300-500k. By last I mean have 75-80% original capacity remaining. So even still if that does not occur, it's not like the car dies but rather range is decreased and possibly power if the battery cannot provide peak voltage.
Sponsored

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Zack I’m surprised that you’re being a little short sighted. This isn’t a one year plan. This is the just the start for the new Mustang brand. Think 5 to 10 years out. That’s what Ford is doing. For that to happen they have to keep our car alive. Maybe, just maybe we should be saying thank you.
Finally someone who sees the bigger picture here on these forums!!

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
I can't see many current Mustang owners actually buying the Mach E. If anything, I think the older Mustang owners' wives might buy the Mach E or the younger Mustang owners' mothers.
Of course there's going to be the people who will buy it regardless. Hell, I'd probably even test drive one just to say I did. The things I'm counting on are new car sales slumping in general, and the EV market being even more niche than the Mustang market already. I don't doubt Ford will sell these, but I also don't think they're going to sell like they would like them to. Couple that with the uproar about the name, and we could see something similar to the 500 --> Taurus rename of the mid 00's.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I fully understand that. My point though is that if you knew you cant produce more then 50k models for the first few years, why make a mass market CUV? Why not make a 2 door coupe MUSTANG and have an instant hit and again, the only affordable EV sports car in the market? Accept the lower sales for the first few years until you can iron out production bottlenecks and then introduce the CUV when you can make more than 50k.
Ford is on track to sell what 85K Mustangs this year? How many Lithium Mustangs do you think would be sold, 10%, 20%, 30%. And at what price. A car like that would have to pull GT350 type money. So at 30% they are going to sell 25K cars. That's half the number of Mach-E's that can be sold. and that's only the first year. I think we need to give Ford a little more credit. Just because we don't like what they have done doesn't mean that they do not know what they are doing.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Finally someone who sees the bigger picture here on these forums!!
Did you watch the "Making the Mustang Mach-E" video? No where in there did they admit that this is what the mustang needs to be to survive. They admitted they had a compliance boring SUV and some executive had the bright idea of making it a mustang. Why they decided to stick with the SUV layout is beyond me. Again, should have made a 2 door coupe EV and they could have even announced plans for the CUV if this whole "brand" thing is a requirement. At least then they showed a commitment to the classic layout and had a true mustang before destroying it with a CUV that oh by the way, only 50k units can be made per year for the foreseeable future... The Mach E would have been FAR better as a 2 door coupe. At least then maybe it would have decent performance numbers since it would have a smaller size and weight.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
So after that 5 to 10 years of Ford pushing the Mustang as the Mach e more than they do the Mustang as a ponycar . . . then what???

I suspect that shortsighted also applies to assuming that the ponycar will continue to trot along as usual, in the face of advertising and increasing awareness working against it.
> So after that 5 to 10 years ... then what???

Per the incessant barking of eco-alarmists, the earth will end in a massive ecologic calamity and die-off so there won't be an auto industry... And while I might elect to be buried in my S550, we'll all be pushing daisies and won't care. :)

But more seriously, in 10 years this epic branding screwup will be taught in business schools as the Rubicon moment when Ford managed to go from a tier 1 automaker to 3 separate and no longer consequential companies: The F150 company, the Mustang company, and Ford Credit - a division of Goldman Sachs.

Meanwhile the Corvette will have been converted into a hovercraft with ION drive - a compact nuclear power plant sitting in the mid-engine bay.
Listen guys, my crystal ball is no better than yours. Back when I was working at a Fortune 500 manufacturer we had 1, 3, 5, and 10 year plans that were updated regularly. Obviously the 5 and 10 year plans were fairly vague. Will there be a 2029 Mustang 2 door coupe. I have no idea. All i am saying is for right now, today, the Mach-E might be, could be, the savior of our Mustang. If it is, then I'm all for it.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Ford is on track to sell what 85K Mustangs this year? How many Lithium Mustangs do you think would be sold, 10%, 20%, 30%. And at what price. A car like that would have to pull GT350 type money. So at 30% they are going to sell 25K cars. That's half the number of Mach-E's that can be sold. and that's only the first year. I think we need to give Ford a little more credit. Just because we don't like what they have done doesn't mean that they do not know what they are doing.
Is it hard to imagine this exact Mach E platform but in coupe form? If you can only make 50k units, you are NOT READY to have a mass market EV. No reason why the coupe version of the Mach E could not have better performance numbers (due to size and weight) with the same hardware which should help keep costs within the current range of the Mach E.

And it doesn't matter what percentage... 50k is still an inconsequential number to Ford as a whole. To put things in perspective, Tesla is making close to 400k models 3s this year alone (delivering about 80k per quarter) yet Ford, the FIRST auto manufacture with over 100 years of experience making cars can't manage more then 50k EVs in an entire year... They are being beat in the EV segment (which is the FUTURE path of the automotive industry) by a company that is barely 10 years old. And they think a CUV with the Mustang name slapped on it is the answer???

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Is it hard to imagine this exact Mach E platform but in coupe form? If you can only make 50k units, you are NOT READY to have a mass market EV. No reason why the coupe version of the Mach E could not have better performance numbers (due to size and weight) with the same hardware which should help keep costs within the current range of the Mach E.

And it doesn't matter what percentage... 50k is still an inconsequential number to Ford as a whole. To put things in perspective, Tesla is making close to 400k models 3s this year alone (delivering about 80k per quarter) yet Ford, the FIRST auto manufacture with over 100 years of experience making cars can't manage more then 50k EVs in an entire year... They are being beat in the EV segment (which is the FUTURE path of the automotive industry) by a company that is barely 10 years old. And they think a CUV with the Mustang name slapped on it is the answer???
EVs as a whole is still less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the US. This number is higher in other countries.

The common person won't buy an EV until 2 things happen. You can charge them from empty to full within 10 minutes or so and the range gets extended. I'm thinking 500 miles of range minimum.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Is it hard to imagine this exact Mach E platform but in coupe form? If you can only make 50k units, you are NOT READY to have a mass market EV. No reason why the coupe version of the Mach E could not have better performance numbers (due to size and weight) with the same hardware while costing about the same.
Not at all and I'll bet its going to happen. But this is manufacturing 101 (Not aimed at you Zack, just a general comment) 1st gen. is very expensive, and has limited availability. 2nd gen. will have a noticeable price drop with far more product available. 3rd gen. will be much cheaper and as much product as there is demand. By the way this car isn't coming out for more than a year. things can and will change. That 50K could easily become 100K. I wouldn't harp on production numbers so early in the game.

Mach-E is 1st gen. Model 3 is 3rd gen. (not including the roadster). Not comparable at this time. Apples to apples you have to compare to the "S". Again, forget the 50K. It doesn't mean anything right now. Concentrate on the 85K as it too is inconsequential. Look what happened to the Focus and Fusion, cars that sold way more than the Mustang. Icons have been killed before. Our mustang is not forever.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
EVs as a whole is still less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the US. This number is higher in other countries.

The common person won't buy an EV until 2 things happen. You can charge them from empty to full within 10 minutes or so and the range gets extended. I'm thinking 500 miles of range minimum.
If the common driver is looking for a long distance driver both of these will be critically important. If that same common person is looking for a daily driver that gets driven 200-300 miles a week even current technology is sufficient.

By the way it takes more than 10 minutes to charge your cellphone. I'm thinking 30 minute 1/2 charge, 1 hour full charge would be acceptable for many people. That where the extended range (400-500 miles) becomes important as well.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If the common driver is looking for a long distance driver both of these will be critically important. If that same common person is looking for a daily driver that gets driven 200-300 miles a week even current technology is sufficient.

By the way it takes more than 10 minutes to charge your cellphone. I'm thinking 30 minute 1/2 charge, 1 hour full charge would be acceptable for many people. That where the extended range (400-500 miles) becomes important as well.
Yes, but charging technology is getting faster each year for cellphones because they keep upping the wattage. 18 watts is pretty standard these days. A few phones can charge at 25 watts and even 45 watts!

The problem I see is the faster the phone charges, the shorter the life of the battery. Maybe in the next few years they can figure out how to charge faster without sacrificing battery longevity. Batteries don't like the heat! I imagine this process is similar in a battery pack for an EV.

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Yes, but charging technology is getting faster each year for cellphones because they keep upping the wattage. 18 watts is pretty standard these days. A few phones can charge at 25 watts and even 45 watts!

The problem I see is the faster the phone charges, the shorter the life of the battery. Maybe in the next few years they can figure out how to charge faster without sacrificing battery longevity. Batteries don't like the heat! I imagine this process is similar in a battery pack for an EV.
Charging isn't as much of an issue as energy density and longevity of the cells. You can charge quicker and quicker with better stations, but a liquid state battery is still a liquid state battery, no matter how good it is. Solid state batteries are still too cost prohibitive, and have intrinsic problems of their own that would limit their longevity.

The car, both ICE and EV types, has truly become an expendable commodity with planned obsolescence built right in.

fordmustangnerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Did you watch the "Making the Mustang Mach-E" video? No where in there did they admit that this is what the mustang needs to be to survive. They admitted they had a compliance boring SUV and some executive had the bright idea of making it a mustang. Why they decided to stick with the SUV layout is beyond me. Again, should have made a 2 door coupe EV and they could have even announced plans for the CUV if this whole "brand" thing is a requirement. At least then they showed a commitment to the classic layout and had a true mustang before destroying it with a CUV that oh by the way, only 50k units can be made per year for the foreseeable future... The Mach E would have been FAR better as a 2 door coupe. At least then maybe it would have decent performance numbers since it would have a smaller size and weight.
Yes i did watch it. and as i stated earlier to Twin Turbo when he said something along the lines of "Notice how Pericak said Another Pony to the stable", He called it a new pony to the stable instead of calling it a mustang because it's true. That's all it is, It's not a replacement, it's a new type of pony. We have had the same pony in the stable for 55 years and eventually... without introducing a "Female" pony... The pony would die... As hard as it is to admit, this is what the Mustang needs to survive in the future as the 2 door coupe that we all love. You're right that they didn't directly say that it's needed for the Mustang's survival, However no manufacturer will openly admit that it's only adding a certain vehicle under a nameplate due to the nameplate being at risk of extinction. Seriously open your eyes and ears and look beyond whats just infront of you.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Is the Mach-E the 7th gen Mustang or the alternate reality Mustang?
Mustang 2.0?
Sponsored