Sponsored

Kids first car

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
Just curious what did you buy your child for their first car? What things did you consider safety, insurance cost, etc?
Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
So, I've been down this road twice. Wife said it had to be safe and it had to be inexpensive. Boys said it had to be fun. I said I can do any 2 of the 3. We ended up with a dodge neon for the first one. Turns out it's a pretty good Tokyo drift car (fast & furious, although, the neon was neither fast nor furious). Younger son ended up with a ranger. Overall a much better vehicle. Around here, Kansas City, anything less than 4k is complete crap shoot. And that was 10 yrs ago. I'd say it's more like 5-6k if you don't want a complete p.o.s sitting in tue driveway that you're constantly fixing just to keep it running. We paid 4k for both the 2002 neon in 2008 and 1999 Ranger in 2010. Both were fairly high milage, about 100k each. The neon lasted 2.5 years and the ranger lasted 9 years. The neon crapped out early due to driver style (abuse). No way were we going to put either boy in a vehicle with a loan. Insurance was just way too high.

Best of luck!

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I had a fox body GT convertible I was wanting to rebuild to a street machine. 150k but presentable.
Let the kid finish it off before redo. They drove for 18 months and only had one minor bump

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was saving my 96 GT that I have had for the past 20 years to give my son but now time has come I don’t know. I guess I am concerned about safety. So I just have to decide on what to get him. He wants my 15 GT and I know thats not going to happen. Too much power.

Deleted member

I was saving my 96 GT that I have had for the past 20 years to give my son but now time has come I don’t know. I guess I am concerned about safety. So I just have to decide on what to get him. He wants my 15 GT and I know thats not going to happen. Too much power.
I was going to say that 96 of yours would be a great first car....then i saw the mods in your sig :cwl: ya i wouldn't be giving a supercharged car to my son either but hes only 2 so i got some time to think.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So yes, if I had a dollar for every time I was called crazy...

But yes, this is my 16 year old sons first car. Every family dynamic, every kid, every aspect of this decision is going to be different. I only jumped in here to hopefully contribute to your decision and add to the things to think about. I wanted to get a fox body for this brat sooo bad (cause that's what I grew up on), but he wasn't having it. Anywho, in no particular order...

-I only had to pay half of it
-He's a great kid and a total car guy, thus, of all the doubt and worries I have, him not taking immaculate care of the car is not one of them
-Almost straight A's with no problems what-so-ever
-This kid, I love him to death, but he is not involved in ANYTHING. No sports, activities, nada. Thus, he hasn't cost me a dime while parents around me are shelling out fortunes (literally; I don't know how they do it) to participate and travel in sports and other stuff. Trust me, this car is cheaper
-i wanted something worthy of turning wrenches on and working on together, not just transportation. Heck, I've had at least as much fun and excitement ordering parts for it as he has
-Insurance is high, sure, it's gonna be...but IMO, not horrible for a 16 year old considering this car...~$190 a month. Again, I'm only paying half.
-I know a lot of parents that will self admit their kid does not...fear...them (for lack of a better word) like we did our dads. My kid does not have that issue. Point being, he knows the rules of what could potentially cost him losing this car for good.
-And last but not least...my first car at 16 was a '65 289 4 speed car with about the same power as this (and probably a faster car considering size and weight). My dad and I built it. He trusted me unconditionally with that car for a lot of similar reasons and I feel I owe my son the same mutual respect.

So...let the flaming begin, LOL...I can take it.

B3F23CA3-4E6D-4CF1-A565-A660BA227680.jpeg
BE19C945-1AFF-4EA4-823C-B176C01D1334.jpeg

Deleted member 35644

But yes, this is my 16 year old sons first car. Every family dynamic, every kid, every aspect of this decision is going to be different. I only jumped in here to hopefully contribute to your decision and add to the things to think about. I wanted to get a fox body for this brat sooo bad (cause that's what I grew up on), but he wasn't having it. Anywho, in no particular order...

-He's a great kid and a total car guy, thus, of all the doubt and worries I have, him not taking immaculate care of the car is not one of them
-This kid, I love him to death, but he is not involved in ANYTHING. No sports, activities, nada. Thus, he hasn't cost me a dime while parents around me are shelling out fortunes (literally; I don't know how they do it) to participate and travel in sports and other stuff. Trust me, this car is cheaper
-i wanted something worthy of turning wrenches on and working on together, not just transportation. Heck, I've had at least as much fun and excitement ordering parts for it as he has
-Insurance is high, sure, it's gonna be...but IMO, not horrible for a 16 year old considering this car...~$190 a month. Again, I'm only paying half.
-I know a lot of parents that will self admit their kid does not...fear...them (for lack of a better word) like we did our dads. My kid does not have that issue. Point being, he knows the rules of what could potentially cost him losing this car for good.
-And last but not least...my first car at 16 was a '65 289 4 speed car with about the same power as this (and probably a faster car considering size and weight). My dad and I built it. He trusted me unconditionally with that car for a lot of similar reasons and I feel I owe my son the same mutual respect.

You wouldn't be looking to adopt, by any chance? 49, house trained, good driving record. Let me know!

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
My $.02 as I have no kids, It's not just WHAT car, but do they know how to drive? Pay the $400 - $600 and sign them up for a REAL drivers ed type track day as a TRACK. The lessons they learn will last them longer then the job's/carrear they'll have for 45+ years. How much does a 4 yr degree cost? $150K - more!?!? Money well spent I'd say. Wish I took one 40+ yrs ago I still have BAD habit's I'll never unlearn!! LOL!!!

OP
OP

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That’s awesome!

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger

No flaming here. I tried to go old school muscle or somewhat modern hot rod car, but the wife pretty much put the hammer on that. She was in a pretty bad rollover accident, with the kids in the car. She was adamant that safety was most important. It didn't help that she a) came from a family with 3 girls, and b) her dad was cheap. Her and her sisters always had some cheap p.o.s. when they were driving. My brother and I had some pretty fun cars 1953 Chevy Deluxe Pick-up, 1972 Malibu, 1967 Fairlane, 1968 'Vette. They had a Pinto, a Duster, and a Gremlin.

Oh well, best of luck with your son and his new ride.

Sponsored

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My lovely wife and I do not have any kids, so we end up splurging on my buddy's kids...whom I have known since they were newborns. I had an old 2005 Jeep that runs pretty good, so we gave it to the oldest when he graduated high school. He uses it now while he's going to college. His sister is still in high school and will probably get the Mini my brother is working on...after I buy it off of him.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just curious what did you buy your child for their first car? What things did you consider safety, insurance cost, etc?
Our only child bought his own first car. He was working at the now defunct Bondurant School. He bought an old Saturn with a missing rear side window from a salvage yard to maximize what he had left to spend on racing. He was an instructor at Bondurant the next year but started out track testing cars before the school's classes or after service, The funny thing was they never knew he didn't even have a driver's license when he started.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I had a 96 when I first started driving. I was rowdy driver some might say. I never wrecked it bad but I had more “could have been closed casket” moments than I want to admit. Very few were my fault but I put myself in that situation. I raced (and won) go carts as a kid so my driving skills at that point were magnitudes better than most young drivers. I think that is why I am still here.

Can’t go wrong with a mid 00 accord or civic. Corollas run forever also. They can be picked up cheap. You can get hurt in anything but you can do it faster with more HP.

Deleted member

Glad to see you're teaching him, reminds me of me and my dad about 10 years ago. Now i can't wait for the day my son and i can wrench together, he's only 2 so we got some time.

Your son is gonna take alot better care of that car than some of the guys on this forum...
Sponsored