Sponsored

Kids first car

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
My middle son wanted a Cobalt SS I did everything I could do to talk him out of it and for him to get a small truck because he loves speed!! So 2 months after his 16th Birthday I bought him a Cobalt SS with stage 2 upgrades and explained to him everything about speed and what can happen to him or some one else. He was doing great for 2 months then on New Years day he was coming home from his friends house on a 4 lane road here in Ohio racing a Mustang!! Passed 2 State Troopers in a 45 mph area at 109 mph the troopers turned to chase them. The Mustang pulled over and my wonderful son ran and instead of coming home he stopped at a McDonalds 4 miles up the road and had lunch lol
When he got in his car and pulled out guess who was waiting for him at court he lost his DL for 1 year total fines $635 and I dropped him from insurance along with selling his car
I am glad he did not get hurt or hurt some one else!!
Now he is 21 been a Marine for 3 years and drives a 2017 WRX and it runs awesome lol
Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
First car was an 88 berretta GT with a laundry list of problems. My dad's thought process once I learned how much work, time, and money goes into fixing a car I won't abuse my car. The 88 Beretta was a freebie. I got it just shy of my 15th birthday. Second car was bought for me a 2005 mustang GT. I got it in 2006. a little after my 16th birthday. My dad figured that since I put that much time and effort into fixing and taking care of the Beretta I would be good in the new Mustang. While I did drag race, get a whole bunch of go fast goodies and giggle gas, participate in a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have. I knew how to work on vehicles and kept the car looking and functioning like brand new. Never had an at fault accident. Point I am making. A good car for a kids first car has a lot to do with the child's mentality, responsibility, and experience. Be realistic as a parent and get rid of the "my child is the best and cream de la cream" ideas when getting your child a car. If they can show and are responsible enough to handle an expensive fast sporty car. If it's affordable get them one. If not, well, better look at getting a 800 dollar impala or something. I have two girls getting up to driving age. The oldest one, hell, I wouldn't hesitate to tossing her the keys to my pride and joy and let her drive it to the store to around town for the night. The younger one. Nope, I take the keys with me when I am not home, I have them in my night stand when I am asleep, I told the wife she isn't allowed in the garage with the car because of how reckless, clueless, and she doesn't take anything seriously and everything is a joke to her. (I have no idea how she got that way. It's not me or the wife).

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
My middle son wanted a Cobalt SS I did everything I could do to talk him out of it and for him to get a small truck because he loves speed!! So 2 months after his 16th Birthday I bought him a Cobalt SS with stage 2 upgrades and explained to him everything about speed and what can happen to him or some one else. He was doing great for 2 months then on New Years day he was coming home from his friends house on a 4 lane road here in Ohio racing a Mustang!! Passed 2 State Troopers in a 45 mph area at 109 mph the troopers turned to chase them. The Mustang pulled over and my wonderful son ran and instead of coming home he stopped at a McDonalds 4 miles up the road and had lunch lol
When he got in his car and pulled out guess who was waiting for him at court he lost his DL for 1 year total fines $635 and I dropped him from insurance along with selling his car
I am glad he did not get hurt or hurt some one else!!
Now he is 21 been a Marine for 3 years and drives a 2017 WRX and it runs awesome lol
Learning experience. Man, he is lucky they didn't want to destroy him. I mean that's felony evading, wreck less driving, street racing, they could have impounded the car, your lucky insurance didn't drop you lol. What it's like to be young, dumb, and invincible. I remember those days.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Times have changed too, in the insurance department. I was never ever, not a single day, on my parents insurance policy. I had the same attitude for my kid, but (at least) my insurance company said itā€™s not an option. They wonā€™t give him his own policy until heā€™s 18. Could just be my company too, IDK.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Bought both of my daughters new Saturn's. They were reasonable priced, drove well and were considered to be some of the safest cars on the road at the time. My older daughter had the SC2, 3 door coupe. My younger daughter had the SL2 sedan. They both held up very well. Unfortunately the same could not be said about Saturn. Now my 11 year old grandson wants a Mustang. His dad has no idea why. :wink:

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
@Bikeman315 , my last car was a 99 Saturn SC2, bought it new and drove it 237k in 17+ years. Probably would have kept it longer if it hadn't killed Bambi :(

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Technically, my first vehicle was a rusty '72 F100 2WD with a 390, since the family had it for hauling wood and such. I just got to drive it, until.....

.....I bought my first car, heading into my senior year of high school. Still own it today.
IMG_20181006_152042.jpg

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
For my son's first car it was an '02 Ranger - was in the price range, and I wanted a pickup for around the house to haul/etc. Ended up putting a bit more than we wanted into it (fuel pump, rear spring brackets, radiator, power steering pump, water pump, rear brakes) but its a pretty solid truck now.
For my daughter we stumbled on an '07 Focus that was imaculate....I mean the interior looked brand new. Guy was a mechanic, built race cars and it was his wife's commuter car. She drove it 100mi round trip every day to work and that was it. Had 120k miles and was perfect, and still is only issue it has had in 2yrs was needing a thermostat. Got lucky on that one for sure.

RoobySooqy2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I had to buy my first car myself, and I wanted it to be safe and functional in the first place. I ended up with a 1997 wagon because I liked the looks and the large trunk. Most teenagers donā€™t like wagons, but they are perfect for trips with friends or with a girlfriend because you have a comfortable place to sleep right inside the car.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
ā€˜00 GT M5. It was a one owner car with 100k miles. It lasted about 2 years till he had his toenail hung it and bent a valve.

3629D3D5-E068-4B9A-A7D7-881D4480CEBC.jpeg

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
My first car, that I bought from my dad for $300, was a 1964 Volkswagen bug.

I had tried to talk him into buying me a new Cuda with a 440 Six Barrel and four speed in 1971. It was about $3200.00 then. Guess what? He did not buy it for me.

Then just a couple of years ago I was watching Barrett Jackson and what comes across the stage? Yup, '71 Cuda 440 Six Barrel, four speed. Numbers matching and about 14K on it. When the gavel fell it went for $610.000.00. Grabbed the phone and called Pop and told him all about it and then asked him if he wished that he had bought it for me? There was a somewhat long pause and then he said "No, Son, you are still alive".
Sponsored