Sponsored

2016 proper oil filter torque

kammrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 crown vic
can someone advise the proper oil filter tighten torque for a 2016 GT350. I read somewhere a memo from Ford as to the advised torque for the oil filter so as to not leak any oil. Also has anyone ever had a problem with oil consumption on a 2016, from what I understand I need to check the oil regularly. Thanks to all who ever had an issue with this matter on a 2016.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
18 ft/lbs

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
...but it is written on the oil filter itself...

I never had an issue of any kind with my 2016 track pack, oil or otherwise. I am a superstitious man, so when I wanted an R, I bought another 2016, not newer.
I have not heard or these forums or otherwise a 2016 GT350 with oil consumption or engine issues... knock on wood.

I am kidding, I am not superstitious :)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
can someone advise the proper oil filter tighten torque for a 2016 GT350. I read somewhere a memo from Ford as to the advised torque for the oil filter so as to not leak any oil. Also has anyone ever had a problem with oil consumption on a 2016, from what I understand I need to check the oil regularly. Thanks to all who ever had an issue with this matter on a 2016.
The torque information is actually on a sticker on the end of the filter. If you have a filter and it doesn't have the torque sticker on the end, then don't use it. Go to your dealer and get a real one. The Motorcraft FL2069ST filter has thread locker on the threads - it's part of the reason that the factory filters don't leak - make sure you have a real one before you change the oil. You'll also need a proper filter wrench - an AST M0219 is the best - it's the one Ford shipped to all the 2016 owners with the VIN engraved on each one. It's 74mm x 14 flats.

As @torque124 says, the 2016's didn't make a lot of headlines for engine troubles - they've been pretty reliable as a whole.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
For those who successfully -for years- tightened a spin-on oil filter hand tight- then an additional 1/2 turn, now to learn that 18 FT LB's was required for the 2016 GT350 came as somewhat of a surprise, but understanding WHY was the interesting part for me, and hopefully for others who want to know.
Due to the inherent "Secondary Vibration" of the Voodoo's 5.2 Flat Plane Crank, this additional torque was necessary or the filter would definitely loosen on it's own after time.
A detailed -in-depth- explanation of the vibration is explained in this article for those interested:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/interesting-article-on-the-gt350-flat-plane-crank.10306/

When I got my 2016 GT350 this oil filter issue had caught my attention, as many of the new owners who took their cars in for the oil changes had the filters loosen and leak oil.
For an added security measure, I purchased a 3" hose clamp from the parts store and performed this trick, -which I still do today- to prevent the filter from loosening.
Oil Filter Clamp.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

kammrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 crown vic
Very helpful/great information guys, thank you. I will now know for future thanks again!

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
For an added security measure, I went to the auto-parts store and purchased a 3" hose clamp and performed this trick, -which I still do today- to keep the filter from loosening.
Oil Filter Clamp.jpg
I do this same thing on my 2017 with spin on filter......

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
FWIW, I did a remote mount kit on my car during the refresh and have been very happy. So much less stress.

20190924_134728.jpg

I can attest to the secondary vibrations. That SOB is always rattling shit apart on the race engine. I am constantly tightening header bolts. I have a pretty extensive nut and bolt check now.

Last edited:

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Be sure to take your finger and put a bead of oil on the gasket. Do not just put the filter on and torque to specs. Its done just like spin on filters have been done for years with lubricating the gasket first. Except you need to torque it to specs that is written right on the filter. There was some fool sometime ago saying to put it on dry to seal better. I corrected that right away. It tells you right in the supplement to oil the gasket before putting filter on. If you do that and torque properly its not coming loose.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Be sure to take your finger and put a bead of oil on the gasket. Do not just put the filter on and torque to specs. Its done just like spin on filters have been done for years with lubricating the gasket first. Except you need to torque it to specs that is written right on the filter. There was some fool sometime ago saying to put it on dry to seal better. I corrected that right away. It tells you right in the supplement to oil the gasket before putting filter on. If you do that and torque properly its not coming loose.
He was just trying to make sure he lubricated the belly pan effectively :)

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I make a mark on the filter with a sharpie, that I can see from outside the car if I lean over to the ground.... I check it when I track the car between sessions, it's the only time it could get loose.
It has not moved at all, ever. I am pretty sure people who had their loose is due to incredible incompetence, ineptitude, lack of any mechanical knowledge of dealership mechanics...

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I make a mark on the filter with a sharpie, that I can see from outside the car if I lean over to the ground.... I check it when I track the car between sessions, it's the only time it could get loose.
It has not moved at all, ever. I am pretty sure people who had their loose is due to incredible incompetence, ineptitude, lack of any mechanical knowledge of dealership mechanics...
I do the same and mark the filter at the 6 o'clock position.Easily visible thru the front wheel at the 7 o'clock position with a flashlight.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That some fool later corrected himself. I don’t know what he did to get perma banned but the forum lost a significant source of expertise and hands on experience when he left.

Back to original programming..

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
That some fool later corrected himself. I don’t know what he did to get perma banned but the forum lost a significant source of expertise and hands on experience when he left.

Back to original programming..
Well don't know why he got permanently banned but he sure wasn't to good of significant source of expertise and hands on experience if he couldn't even read the owners supplement to see how to correctly replace the spin on oil filter. He even had some believing not put oil on the gasket but put filter on dry would prevent the filter from coming loose till I called him out. I'm definitely glad I did, it may have saved some one or several from there filter coming loose causing a major engine failure due to oil loss only because the filter wasn't properly put on as directed by the supplement. And he only corrected himself after I called him out.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Well don't know why he got permanently banned but he sure wasn't to good of significant source of expertise and hands on experience if he couldn't even read the owners supplement to see how to correctly replace the spin on oil filter. He even had some believing not put oil on the gasket but put filter on dry would prevent the filter from coming loose till I called him out. I'm definitely glad I did, it may have saved some one or several from there filter coming loose causing a major engine failure due to oil loss only because the filter wasn't properly put on as directed by the supplement. And he only corrected himself after I called him out.
And that was three years ago....

Good for you for calling him out and good for him to correct it.

As for that to be his only remembrance is a shame.
Sponsored