Sponsored

Torque wrench recommendation for oil filter

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Crazy I know, but I've got a 1/2" that I have to adapt down to 3/8" to get the socket onto the filter wrench and when I do that, it's too big to fit in the space between the filter and whatever bracket is near it. I am installing a tow hook so I had the belly pan off and borrowed my neighbors torque wrench, it's a Matco and a bit of an odd shape. Measures in inch lbs, it fits for about 1/4 turn, definitely not enough to measure the torque correctly, and it doesn't ratchet, so it's a lost cause.

After hearing from the dealer that the filter was torqued and verified (not once but twice) I was able to move the filter by hand yesterday. No way that thing is at 18 ft lbs, so I need to solve this torque wrench issue. I don't care what's best, where it's made, etc. etc. etc. I literally need a purpose built torque wrench that can fit in the access panel and onto the filter with the filter wrench so I can torque it down to 18 ft lbs. Can someone tell me what they are using successfully so I can but it right now? Really appreciate the help.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
TEKTON 24330 3/8-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-80 ft.-lb./13.6-108.5 Nm)

Works

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Or you can just tighten it like a normal oil filter and add a hose clamp for anti-rotation - McMaster Carr P/N 5416K23
oil-clamp.jpg

OP
OP
Lilby

Lilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just ordered that torque wrench. I had bought the hose clamp before but never put it on, got it on there yesterday after finding I could spin it by hand. Thanks for the recommendation!!!
Sponsored