Oil Plug Being Difficult on '19 GT

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the service techs don't replace these plastic plugs after each use then Ronin is guilty of spreading false information and using fear to sell more drain plugs. But whatever, I didn't buy it because of the supposed single use plug. I bought it and paid dearly for the convenience of not turning my garage floor into an Exxon oil slick at every oil change.
I didn't spill a drop, but I suppose using a lift is cheating. ;)
oil_drain_20190426_120919_resized.jpg
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I didn't spill a drop, but I suppose using a lift is cheating. ;)
oil_drain_20190426_120919_resized.jpg
Crawling under a car is for the young and fit. I'm not too old but a little fat and a lot lazy so lift for me too lol

Reactions: boB

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If the service techs don't replace these plastic plugs after each use then Ronin is guilty of spreading false information and using fear to sell more drain plugs. But whatever, I didn't buy it because of the supposed single use plug. I bought it and paid dearly for the convenience of not turning my garage floor into an Exxon oil slick at every oil change.
Exactly on the bold.

First time I changed oil in my new truck I couldn't believe the mess with this new OEM pan and plug. Even using a cardboard baffle in my drain pan as pictured above, since I was anticipating some degree of havoc by looking the plug diameter and envisioning the full oil capacity exiting in seconds. I even had oil on my face and in my hair, let alone what sprayed all over the floor, FFS.

The Ronin and a hose will be the ticket.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Exactly on the bold.

First time I changed oil in my new truck I couldn't believe the mess with this new OEM pan and plug. Even using a cardboard baffle in my drain pan as pictured above, since I was anticipating some degree of havoc by looking the plug diameter and envisioning the full oil capacity exiting in seconds. I even had oil on my face and in my hair, let alone what sprayed all over the floor, FFS.

The Ronin and a hose will be the ticket.
Yeah, Ronin (or any valve) makes the filter the messiest part of an oil change for sure.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yeah, Ronin (or any valve) makes the filter the messiest part of an oil change for sure.
This can be reduced to a minimum by puncturing the oil filter and letting it drain into your pan. There will be little to no oil spilling out the top of the filter once you unscrew it.

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I did the oil change in my driveway. Aside from the oil filter making a little mess, I didn't think it was too bad. Nothing a little brake cleaner won't take care of. The pug is definitely flimsy though.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
This can be reduced to a minimum by puncturing the oil filter and letting it drain into your pan. There will be little to no oil spilling out the top of the filter once you unscrew it.
I'll have to try that. Last time I just unscrewed it till oil started leaking and then left it hang there, worked better than just taking it all the way off right away. Still ended up with a drop or 2 on the garage floor the next morning but all good now without any adjustments. At 6800 miles, happy to report still no oil usage between changes. I did break in per manual though so according to some, I may end up with oil consumption later on? I know from 1028 miles (first oil change) to present, she gets redline time whenever safe to visit Mexico.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Get a large oil drain pan. Then it won't leak all over.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
My original plastic plug came out a little discolored - could be from the oil, could be from the heat. Anyway, happy to have something metal in its place now.
IMG_4406.jpg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My original plastic plug came out a little discolored - could be from the oil, could be from the heat. Anyway, happy to have something metal in its place now.
IMG_4406.jpg
Likely stained from the oil. At least you got yours out in one piece. I broke the locking tab off mine trying to unlock it. I'd say the plug is a 1 time use item. Glad I got the Ronin one.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
First oil change on my 2019. No oil spilled from the drain, but the filter change did not go well, even though I had a plan. Should have made sure cardboard was under the filter, too. Oh well.

Even though I punctured the filter, not all the oil comes out of it. It still leaked on me when not expecting it. Oh well.

I'll have to try that. Last time I just unscrewed it till oil started leaking and then left it hang there, worked better than just taking it all the way off right away. ...
I read this and used this technique, but I did break one tab due to improper screwdriver angle. I then held the OEM plug up to the drain hole and waited less than 5 minutes for the oil to drain. This prevented the gushing. Then I installed the Ronin valve, thanks to this thread.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Has anyone taken their vehicle in for service after installing the Ronin valve? I just wonder if they would say anything about having that in vs a factory part for warranty service.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Has anyone taken their vehicle in for service after installing the Ronin valve? I just wonder if they would say anything about having that in vs a factory part for warranty service.
They should thank you for installing it. But don't forget to bring the insert that screws in to open the valve.
On the other hand, you shouldn't let them change your oil. The whole point of having the valve is for YOUR convenience.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Even though I punctured the filter, not all the oil comes out of it. It still leaked on me when not expecting it. Oh well.
For sure it helps but unfortunately doesn't eliminate the mess. I am going to make a chute to catch and direct the oil so it doesn't drip onto the other parts next time.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
They should thank you for installing it. But don't forget to bring the insert that screws in to open the valve.
On the other hand, you shouldn't let them change your oil. The whole point of having the valve is for YOUR convenience.
Yeah, I mean service on something broken, not maintenance. I just wonder if they would try to void your warranty for changing the oil drain plug.
Sponsored