JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
Based on this study, the failed engine issues is no more... There was times when there were issues as pointed out, but it seems to have been resolved. Also, given these numbers and also knowing how peole drive these cars on the track regularly redlining at 8k+ for many hours on end... you will never be able to get away from failed engines.

I doubt any manufacture cars that is driven like this regularly would not face the same statistics. I do know owning the GT 350, once you do the first oil change and you break it in as instructed, I have not seen any trace of issues out of the ordinary.

Hope you all enjoy this article.

https://thesoundofvoodoo.com/articles/gt350-engine-failure-by-the-numbers/
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The OPs article that is rederenced is written by just another guy on the forum. As far as I know, he is not an engineer or have any expertise beyond ownership and experience from this and other forums.

Mpt233

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
The author of this article has only gathered data off of forum posts. He seems to be working under the assumption that everyone who has ever had a voodoo engine failure has posted about it in a forum or a facebook group. He also choses not to count engine replacement due to excessive oil consumption.

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
The article is a good summary of a lot of online reported failures and the thought causes of those failures. It is factual if you look at it that way.

It isn't factual in regards to the actual number of failures and the actual causes of those failures. Ford is the only source for that information.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The unqualified use of 'we' and 'us' is strange, but agree or disagree with his conclusion, he's transparent about focus and limitations of his research (catastrophic failures based on Internet data).
-----------
To be clear this is not the full picture on GT350 engine failure but we believe this is the best insight available without getting ahold of Ford’s complete data. We also found that once again the internet has drummed up false hysteria. How so? We found that single instances of engine failure were posted multiple times and cross posted to different sources. This artificially inflated the perceived occurrence of catastrophic GT350 engine failure. Ford’s strategy of replacing engines over repairing engines certainly only added fuel to this fire.

We hope this article provides you as an owner or future owner with piece of mind that the hysteria revolving GT350 engine failure is simply unwarranted based on the insight into current internet reported failure data. Let us know what you think in the comments below.
-------------
Like his (their?) compilation on oil (another controversial subject), I see it as nothing earth-shattering but a good summary, especially for anyone who hasn't been following the discussion. Lot of work for an enthusiastic forum member trying to contribute to the community...

Last edited:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
As someone who is researching used GT350’s this was very helpful.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The author of this article has only gathered data off of forum posts. He seems to be working under the assumption that everyone who has ever had a voodoo engine failure has posted about it in a forum or a facebook group. He also choses not to count engine replacement due to excessive oil consumption.
I don't think the author is operating under that assumption. I think the author is compiling what data is accessible. Also, the oil consumption issue is handled by Ford in such a unique way in that Ford chooses to replace the whole long block as its protocol which leads to the average non-paying attention blogger thinking Voodoo's are blowing up at high rates on a highway near you.

To be honest with myself, if my R started using oil, I would narrow down to one of two options. Unload the car and let the next guy deal or have the matching numbers motor rebuilt by a reputable engine builder. It would all depend on costs and how attached I am to the R at the time. As it sits right now, I am still enjoying the R.

OP
OP
JSong

JSong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JWS
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Vehicle Showcase
I am also beginning to wonder if the high reving VooDoo engine is not meant for super charging. Maybe this is why Ford engineering changed the same engine to use cross plane crank so it does not rev as high with the super charger that comes with GT500.

The most I think I would do this the GT 350 or GT 350 R is to change out the header and the intake with a tune. This alone would yield 500+ HP to the wheel. Keeping all fo the existing exhaust stock is what I am hearing is best on these cars. The resonator is nice to have to keep the raspy noise out.

By changing only the header (which I am told is the limiting chock point with flow) it really makes a world of difference. The pipes and exhaust changes would be minimal impact to performance. Might get you a few more HPO and much louder if that is what you want. But the sound of the stock system is too good to mess with IMO.
Sponsored