ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, Manual, Magneride
All turbo options have a great transition to power. With the high 1st gear ratios of the current transmissions, even the 62mm-64mm units come on fast.
Thank you for that as well as all your there answers! One follow up question (which is actually why I started this thread but a lot of additional questions came up that were addressed):

Which turbo should I choose? Which will offer the best long term reliability in a daily driver that will never do more than 8 psi boost?

The quicker spooling of the 55mm paired with my manual transmission is enticing, but the ball bearing option is really expensive. The 57mm BorgWarner seems to have good review, but has journal bearings. The base 62mm has both water and oil lines, which will take more time to install, but on a daily driver the additional water cooling might be beneficial.

It might be helpful to come up with a page that explains the pros and cons of each turbo offered as well as which turbo is recommended for which situation.
Sponsored

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank you for that as well as all your there answers! One follow up question (which is actually why I started this thread but a lot of additional questions came up that were addressed):

Which turbo should I choose? Which will offer the best long term reliability in a daily driver that will never do more than 8 psi boost?

The quicker spooling of the 55mm paired with my manual transmission is enticing, but the ball bearing option is really expensive. The 57mm BorgWarner seems to have good review, but has journal bearings. The base 62mm has both water and oil lines, which will take more time to install, but on a daily driver the additional water cooling might be beneficial.

It might be helpful to come up with a page that explains the pros and cons of each turbo offered as well as which turbo is recommended for which situation.
Hello.

Whats great about our systems on these vehicles is that every single turbo option will deliver quick spool and amazing power. We offer many options to fill the desires of our customers as some prefer one turbo over the other. The good news is you cant go wrong. The larger the turbo the more power it is capable of. the 55mm units hit hard, but so do the 62 units. The BB options are a bonus-- and cheaper to do now on a new order--rather than to try and upgrade later, so they can be considered a budget based option. Our base kit can make over 1200 hp and go into the 8's, so any option is just a bonus!

Team Hellion

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I would not worry at all about the heat. The turbos are mounted where the factory cats go so the car is designed for heat there. I think you would be ok with any of the options but the 62/66 seemed like the best to me. I am actually not sure how much quicker the 55s spool but i am more than happy with my 62s.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Anyone else have similar thoughts/concerns regarding the 55s? I have no desire for more power, so I’m not concerned about headroom. But I hadn’t thought about back pressure.
The biggest issue is potential back pressure which comes from the hot side.

55mm compressors would be fine if you could get them with the 66mm hot sides--which i dont think you can but i could be wrong.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!

I forgot about the BWs... Honestly if i was you, those are exactly the units i'd pick. They are FANTASTIC turbos. They have an absolutely outstanding reputation for quality and almost a 0 failure rate.

Theyre the ones to pick IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
The biggest issue is potential back pressure which comes from the hot side.

55mm compressors would be fine if you could get them with the 66mm hot sides--which i dont think you can but i could be wrong.
I forgot about the BWs... Honestly if i was you, those are exactly the units i'd pick. They are FANTASTIC turbos. They have an absolutely outstanding reputation for quality and almost a 0 failure rate.
Thank you for your thoughts!

Looking into the BorgWarner 57mm (S200SX-E, 7670 P/N: 12769095003), it has a 70mm inducer turbine wheel, journal bearings, and is not water cooled. Installation will be a little easier without the water lines, but I'll have to be diligent about letting the turbos cool down sufficiently before turning off the engine. (since this is my daily driver)

Anyone else have thoughts/comments about these BW turbos?

I noticed when ordering those turbos elsewhere they offer a 2000 degree ceramic coating option for $85. Is that an option when ordering as a kit? (for $170, seems like it would be worth it!)

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
dont mean to thread jack but, would the 62s be better for someone like me who has 373 gears? I know it is not the ideal ratio to have but its a street car and not taking it to the strip. I am assuming based on the info above that because they take longer to spool the gears i have would compensate for that. I am new to all of this so that it just my far fetched thought. Thanks

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
received_800749987011693.jpeg

OP
OP
ammoman

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that really puts into perspective! I can see how a skid plate would be much appreciated there. Those hoses look so exposed just sitting there in the middle with nothing to protect them!

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Really sucks also that tank is right in front of the oil plug, changing the oil is no fun it splashes on the tank and sprays everywhere lol. Ground clearance is effected as seen from the picture just keep that in mind.

Sponsored

MisterNitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I had a Hellion Street Sleeper kit that I just sold recently, had the kit on the car for less than 700 miles. I had an early kit when they first came out so cannot speak if things changed at all. My thoughts:

I had the base turbos with the water lines, pain in the ass and I would HIGHLY reccomend upgrading to oil only. I didnt know this when I bought the kit and it made the install much more difficult to get everything clocked right etc. In addition, i had the banjo bolts for the water lines tight as hell and it still weeped coolant a small amount. Yes, i had the brass washers on both sides per spec.

I ran the car on 93 and it smelled like exhaust regularly inside the car, even with the windows up, AC. As someone said above, the wastegates are right below you. I checked all the door seals etc, everything was fine but just made you stink of exhuast everytime you drove it and generally not fun.

If you have an auto, invest in getting rid of the stock transmission lines and going braided. No matter how much I pushed and prodded from Hellions recommendation, they were in the way big time of the passenger side air filter.

My oil tank scraped a few times on a stock height car..is also close to the drain plug and will make oil changes more messy.

Had broken hardware I found when i took it off to sell it, one header to downpipe bolt was broken/missing and one turbo to downpipe bolt broke as soon as i touched it with a wrench.

If I was going to do it again for a street car, id probably just go supercharger. And if I did go turbo, id probably do a top mount, likely single.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Wastegates being under the driver/passenger seats won’t have anything to do with exhaust smell while sitting at idle or cruising down the road.

Agree on the trans lines. I made a custom set for my system and it is FAR superior than working around and bending steel lines.

I don’t run an oil tank so no issues there. I decided against water cooling my turbos for the reasons you mention above... even though my turbos are water cooled.

I don’t have the hellion, but any TT system is gonna need to have some issues vetted after install.

ttbestas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT-R
Thank you for your thoughts!

Looking into the BorgWarner 57mm (S200SX-E, 7670 P/N: 12769095003), it has a 70mm inducer turbine wheel, journal bearings, and is not water cooled. Installation will be a little easier without the water lines, but I'll have to be diligent about letting the turbos cool down sufficiently before turning off the engine. (since this is my daily driver)

Anyone else have thoughts/comments about these BW turbos?

I noticed when ordering those turbos elsewhere they offer a 2000 degree ceramic coating option for $85. Is that an option when ordering as a kit? (for $170, seems like it would be worth it!)

if you go BorgWarner 57mm route what a/r housing is recommended for gen3 engine if you looking to max it out on e85 and avoid back pressure?
Sponsored