First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Too cold? Reduced range
Too hot? ^

"Superchargers" take a half hour-45 mins to getcha back to 80%

Pass
Cold weather range is an area of improvement for EVs for sure but rarely does one have a daily commute that will exceed cold weather range of even 50% loss on a minimum 220 mile vehicle (50% occurs in negative degree weather usually, more temperate climates can expect around 20-30% loss in range worst case). Hot climates have a minimal impact on range if the vehicle is properly designed (active cooling of the battery and sensitive electronics).

Yes a 0-80% charge at a supercharger can take up to an hour, but a more realistic 20-80% charge can happen in as little as 15-20min due to charge rate variation. 0-20% and 80-100% take longer due to limitations of current battery tech in accepting high power charge rates.

While the issues you bring up are there, they are not nearly as problematic in terms of daily usefulness as you might suggest. Yes, EVs still have room for development before they can truly be for everyone but they are pretty damn close right now. Bump the number of available fast chargers to values that rival gas stations and tweak the battery chemistry to be available to accept a flat 250-350kw charge rate from 0-100% and you will have the EV for everyone.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Cold weather range is an area of improvement for EVs for sure but rarely does one have a daily commute that will exceed cold weather range of even 50% loss on a minimum 220 mile vehicle (50% occurs in negative degree weather usually, more temperate climates can expect around 20-30% loss in range worst case). Hot climates have a minimal impact on range if the vehicle is properly designed (active cooling of the battery and sensitive electronics).

Yes a 0-80% charge at a supercharger can take up to an hour, but a more realistic 20-80% charge can happen in as little as 15-20min due to charge rate variation. 0-20% and 80-100% take longer due to limitations of current battery tech in accepting high power charge rates.

While the issues you bring up are there, they are not nearly as problematic in terms of daily usefulness as you might suggest. Yes, EVs still have room for development before they can truly be for everyone but they are pretty damn close right now. Bump the number of available fast chargers to values that rival gas stations and tweak the battery chemistry to be available to accept a flat 250-350kw charge rate from 0-100% and you will have the EV for everyone.
Now I gotta find an article backing it up, but flipping through the radio awhile ago, heard Hemp Batteries were much better than Lithium.

Still need to do research, but imagine that

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Now I gotta find an article backing it up, but flipping through the radio awhile ago, heard Hemp Batteries were much better than Lithium.

Still need to do research, but imagine that
Haha not surprising! Lithium batteries are not that bad as is but they do have some significant drawbacks such as bursting into flames when damaged. There are designs out there though that can solve these issues. I read recently one "breakthrough" that tweaks the electrolyte layer in current batteries to allow the battery to do just what I previously mentioned. Accept higher and more flat charge rates while also increasing durability. There are also solid state lithium batteries that promise to solve the majority of issues with current battery tech. These are likely still a few years away however.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
CARBON DIOXIDE (the major bi-product of the internal combustion engine) is NOT a poison!!

It is great for plant life and allows more plants (food) to grow larger and more fruitful. Carbon dioxide levels during the time of the dinosaurs was almost 10 times of what it is today, yet the planet somehow managed to NOT experience "run-away global warming".

"But, ohhhh, the planet is warming!!!"

Yes, it is, and it's great!! The planet has been warming since the end of the last ice age. And it's great for everyone. Don't belive me? Ask yourself this question: Where would you rather live?: 1. Jacksonville, Florida or 2. Anchorage, Alaska

Please step away from the propaganda machine....

I hope y'all don't have any stock in TESLA. If you do, I would sell it NOW. In five years TESLA will be as dead as yesterday. Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, HONDA, and VW especially; have the manufacturing capacity that TESLA can only dream of. Not to mention the billions and billions of dollars they have in R&D capacity. Porche's new Taycan was the opening slavo for what is essentially the death rattle for TESLA.

Hey retard, we are not destroying the earth. This statement is pure narcissism. The USA is cleaner today than it has been since before the industrial revolution, and look at how many hundreds and hundreds of millions people live lives that all the Pharaohs and Kings of antiquity could only dream of. Image you went back in time two hundred years, and described to anyone you saw, what your life in the USA is like in 2019. They would think you were living in paradise. Because you ARE living in a paradise.

And this paradise exists because of petroleum. PERIOD.

I have nothing but contempt and disdain for people who deride the "evil", "earth-destroying" fossil fuels, but are more than happy to reap the rewards of the peace, prosperity, security, comfort, health, and luxury it has brought them.

To me these people are nothing short of frauds and hypocrites. i. e. (Democrats)
I looked for the "LOVE" button, but had to settle for "LIKE".

Great post.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
And this is exactly how we have the political climate we have today.... Latching on to only the facts you agree with while completely ignoring the bigger picture....

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I just look at it from my own tiny perspective. My mustang is used M-F commuting to work 21 miles one way. So an EV for me only really needs a range of maybe 100 miles to be safe. Charge it every night after driving 42 miles works perfectly. Again though, they are currently just so boring.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And this is exactly how we have the political climate we have today.... Latching on to only the facts you agree with while completely ignoring the bigger picture....
The bigger picture is that companies want to make money and politicians want power. Both exploit people's desire to "do what's right".

But all of us have to live with our decisions. People who think global warming is a thing and want to minimize their impact really shouldn't have kids, single family homes or own a car. Even electric cars use a lot of energy. It's a lot better for the environment to buy a used car, or live close and walk to work.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The bigger picture is that companies want to make money and politicians want power. Both exploit people's desire to "do what's right".

But all of us have to live with our decisions. People who think global warming is a thing and want to minimize their impact really shouldn't have kids, single family homes or own a car. Even electric cars use a lot of energy.
Putting aside the entire climate change argument entirely, oil/gas is still a finite resource. We really only have 20-50 years of cheap oil left to tap into. If everything our civilization is built on runs on this fuel and does not change and evolve, what are we supposed to do when gas costs $20 a gallon? What do we do when world wars start over the control of oil fields? Does it not make sense to start transitioning now toward more renewable forms of energy? Can we at least agree on that argument? I am part of the generation that will have to deal with these problems in the future…

But back on topic, I am really interested to see what Ford brings to the table with their first true EV. 370 miles of range is impressive to say the least but I am interested to see if that is for the base $40k vehicle or the high end $80k vehicle. Plus I am curious what they decide to support in terms of charging networks.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

But all of us have to live with our decisions. People who think global warming is a thing and want to minimize their impact really shouldn't have kids, single family homes or own a car. Even electric cars use a lot of energy. It's a lot better for the environment to buy a used car, or live close and walk to work.
Global warming....I just know seasons in WA are different now than they were 30 years ago, but that's all I know so that's that lol. No kids or desire to have any <insert very un pc kid rant here>. My wife and I have a 4 bedroom house that's way more than we could ever need but the deal was right and we didn't want to rent anymore <insert a face that doesn't care about anyone's views on housing markets and money>. And we both have our own cars to get to work 15-20 miles in opposite directions of the house. The people before me didn't seem to care too much about the environment but I believe it was mostly what they were told/believed from the government. I don't have to worry about what comes after me because no kids. So really, why should I care about what I do, if anything, globally harmful? I think it's because we're told to care on many different levels by "them" but that's a different forum all together. I'd love to bicycle my fat ass to work but for fitness, not the environment but I'm just a little too far to make it worth while and it would almost eliminate all video gaming time. If you couldn't tell I forgot the point I was trying to make a long time ago so now I'm just typing to type. More than anything, an EV change for me would be because performance before getting my captain planet ring. I have seen a few model 3's that looked badass on the outside lowered and custom paint/wheels. The better appealing looks is what the older automakers should bring to the table. And post reply.....

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
...oil/gas is still a finite resource. We really only have 20-50 years of cheap oil left to tap into. If everything our civilization is built on runs on this fuel...

...Does it not make sense to start transitioning now toward more renewable forms of energy? Can we at least agree on that argument?
^^^^^^Yes, yes, yes

That is a completely valid argument. You are absolutely correct. We should be thinking about what we as a species and a civilization are going to do when the oil runs out. And it will..., it doesn't matter if it's 50 years from now or 500 years from now. It is going to happen. And if the EV argument was framed in that context, I would be on-board with it entirely. In essence, if we don't transition to something other than fossil fuels, sometime within the next few hundred years (at most) the entire developed world will look like modern-day Detroit!

And I could almost understand the "climate change" bull$hit if it were coming from people that actually walked the walk as well as talked the talk.

But there is absophucking-lootly no way I am going to take a lecture about "climate change" from someone who owns and lives in a 10,000 sq/ft mansion, flies everywhere on a private jet, owns three gigantic SUV's and eats steak three times a week; which is exactly how most of the people pushing for "climate change" policies actually live.

Again, these people are nothing short of frauds and hypocrites. i. e. (Democrats)
Sponsored