Sponsored

Launching in 2nd gear - automatic trans question

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I notice that when you are at a stop with shifter in sport mode you can paddle shift the automatic trans up to 2nd gear and launch in 2nd - but when you come to a stop it always automatically shifts to first. You also cant shift to 2nd if you are rolling at speeds less than about 10 mph.. It doesnt really make sense to me that it forces you to first gear when you come to a stop and you cant shift to 2nd when rolling less than 10 mph but you can launch in 2nd and shift into 2nd at a complete stop.

Is there a way to tune the car to stay in 2nd until you tell it to go to first even when coming to a stop? Also whats the point of being able to launch in 2nd - is it faster in some circumstances?
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Being able to take off in 2nd can be advantageous in snowy or icy conditions in some instances. Less power to the wheels might help get the car going rather than just spinning. That is about the only reason I can think of to allow a 2nd gear start.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
If I don't come to a dead stop at a deserted stop sign, she'll stay in second in sport.
I haven't tried the 10 mph thing, yet.
When the steering wheel's spinning through a turn from a stop and I'm paddling, sometimes I'll start out in second to avoid too much 1st gear.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can even paddle up to 3rd while stopped.

As said if your stuck in the snow it can help, also if your launching with alot of power it can help negate wheelspin. I'm at around 800whp on street tires and 1st is nearly useless. It'll spin easy and then spin again shifting to 2nd. If you just start in 2nd you can give it more throttle and not worry about wheelspin as much.

That being said launching hard in 2nd is pretty hard on the trans.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can even paddle up to 3rd while stopped.

As said if your stuck in the snow it can help, also if your launching with alot of power it can help negate wheelspin. I'm at around 800whp on street tires and 1st is nearly useless. It'll spin easy and then spin again shifting to 2nd. If you just start in 2nd you can give it more throttle and not worry about wheelspin as much.

That being said launching hard in 2nd is pretty hard on the trans.
I cant put it above 2nd at a stop with the 10r80. I see lethal performance launches their whippled '18 mustang in 2nd gear, so apparently it works great for some cars. They have a high stall converter though and tons of power and torque.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I don't come to a dead stop at a deserted stop sign, she'll stay in second in sport.
I haven't tried the 10 mph thing, yet.
When the steering wheel's spinning through a turn from a stop and I'm paddling, sometimes I'll start out in second to avoid too much 1st gear.
The 10r80 seems to go from 3rd to first when slowing down below about 4 mph, skipping 2nd. It stays in 3rd if I roll though a stop sign and I can feel the Torque Converter being loose then locking up after accelerating for a bit.

Last edited:

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
My 10r80 drops to second gear at a stop and leaves in second gear when I select drag mode. All the other modes drop to first at a stop.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Know whats really annoying about the 10 speeds?

Why the hell isnt the gear displayed all the time!??

Im constantly grabbing the paddle to get it to next gear. Even in sport mode where i drive 99% of the time.

Can it be turned on with forscan? Im sure with a tune it can be on all the time like my 2016 with an AED tune was?

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Know whats really annoying about the 10 speeds?

Why the hell isnt the gear displayed all the time!??

Im constantly grabbing the paddle to get it to next gear. Even in sport mode where i drive 99% of the time.

Can it be turned on with forscan? Im sure with a tune it can be on all the time like my 2016 with an AED tune was?
Yea it is annoying. I have it displayed on the Ngauge now and can’t believe how often I look at it. What was ford thinking...

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my 18 with the shifter in S mode, after paddles are activated the gear is displayed for me until I put it back in drive.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
You guys who don't have the gear display must have the standard instrument cluster. The digital cluster displays the gear 100% of the time regardless of mode or shifter position.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
Launching in 2ng gear is hugely advantageous to a boosted or high hp application. IT won't hit the tires as hard and will allow the car to be farther down the track before shifting which can allow better 60fts and 99% of the time, better traction. Mainly because the 1st gear in the 10r80 is so steep and the rpm drop on the shift is a lot larger than 2 - 7

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
You guys who don't have the gear display must have the standard instrument cluster. The digital cluster displays the gear 100% of the time regardless of mode or shifter position.
This... I was trying to understand why you wouldn't see the gear but now makes sense.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This... I was trying to understand why you wouldn't see the gear but now makes sense.
We see it with the shifter in S, and with a tune I now see it with the shifter in D for 35 seconds after selecting a gear unless I go back to 1st I think. I keep mine in S though.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
I went into my HP Tuners and turned the gear display on in drive and sport. They always show
Sponsored